Type keyword(s) to search

The Bare Essentials

Hello. I'm very interested in the tiny house movement. I was wondering what are the bare essentials that one would have to incorporate in a tiny house for one and the minimum square footage you could pull it off with. A place to sleep, a place to eat, a place to cook, a place to wash dishes, hands, a place to go to the bathroom and shower, a laundry? What am I forgetting?

Storage. 
It would have to be a place you could stand to be snowed in in.
I'd want something that was safe, and something where you don't have to climb down a ladder when you have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.
A fire extinguser on both levels to keep safe, and don't forget egress windows.
If it's only for one person, the ones they've shown where the units slide around and the bedroom becomes the kitchen, look clever.
If you're planning on moving it, you'd have to know legal size for towing, and clearances for underpasses, etc.

• Love 1

Yes, crazycatlady, and often the couches they design look as comfy as waiting room furniture, not something to sit and watch TV on.
I have noticed that more of the tiny shows are 300-600+ sq ' now, where in the first season, some were under 200.

• Love 2
(edited)

Good suggestions by all. I think what trips a lot of people up is zoning laws also. Many homes are sold or abandoned because no one will let them park there. I was surprised that one couple who wanted to travel,had issues with RV parks because they have RV restrictions the home didn't have. So never "assume" anything.

Things I've heard from some tiny home dwellers, really think about storage for year round, especially if in a 4 season area, winter things take up more room, tools, cleaning items. Make sure it's safe and insulated well, especially underneath and Zack on THN, has been mentioning "bad air" in tiny homes, being so sealed up, you need to circulate the air to keep it fresh and smells from lingering. (he used a clean air machine but even ceiling fan would help)

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1

As to zoning laws, I can't imagine that neighbors don't complain when a tiny house is parked in the backyard next door.
That would seem to violate lot-size restrictions, if you have 2 houses on one lot.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, auntjess said:

As to zoning laws, I can't imagine that neighbors don't complain when a tiny house is parked in the backyard next door.
That would seem to violate lot-size restrictions, if you have 2 houses on one lot.

Yes. some, especially in the South, when a family might own many acres or an orchard (as in one show) you can try to live there quietly, but how do you hook up for electricity or water without either stealing it somehow or going off grid? That might not be an issue for some but not for me. Also, when you do your taxes, do you own something or just not mention your property. I'm just too honest to fudge things.

• Love 1