Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Chapter 17

The Capitol is quarantined and evacuated after a suspect package with white powder is sent. During a live interview Claire reveals that she was sexually assaulted. Jackie and Remy lobby for votes to avoid a Government shutdown. Lucas delves into deep web research and his hacker contact is revealed to be an FBI informant.

Really enjoying Jackie, and teaming her up with Remy was inspired. I just love to watch them both work.

The white powder felt a little like a writers' trick to turn up the heat, but I was OK with that. I feel like this is a show where the writing shows through -- I ascribe a lot of intentionality to the writers, not the characters, when various things happen. But I enjoy it on that level.

The whole deep web/Lucas plotline bores me so much. Maybe if we didn't know (or at least strongly suspect) that the hacker was an informant from the beginning, there might have been some suspense, but at this point it just looks like we're watching a very boring character putting his neck farther and farther in a very boring noose.

I hope the identity of the powder sender comes up in a future episode. It feels like something that could pay off in a cool way. As I said on the podcast, I wondered if Claire had sent it to make sure she'd get a solo interview -- not just because Frank might have stopped her (I agree with Sarah that he wouldn't), but because it gave her revelation much more heft for her to have given it sitting there alone.

• Love 2

That would definitely be a cool payoff. You have to wonder just how far ahead Claire planned that whole "spontaneous" revelation -- was it the whole impetus for saying yes to the interview in the first place?

• Love 1

I hope the identity of the powder sender comes up in a future episode. It feels like something that could pay off in a cool way. As I said on the podcast, I wondered if Claire had sent it to make sure she'd get a solo interview -- not just because Frank might have stopped her (I agree with Sarah that he wouldn't), but because it gave her revelation much more heft for her to have given it sitting there alone.

This was my thought, too.  My gut instinct is that someone inside made this happen.  The obvious reason would be to trap FU and keep him from getting the votes he needs, so I like this theory better.