Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: Time Shall Unfold

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I'm getting to the point where I'm about ready to bail on Empire. And it's a shame because I have mostly loved every minute of this show even with its head-scratching moments. Lucious just becomes more and more hateful in every episode, he is utterly iredeemable at this point. And I am tired of the same old plot "twist' that is no longer a twist of Lucious being beaten/ousted and then, with the use of his awesome evil genius, managing to trounce his enemies every time. Are we supposed to side with him? Be awed by his superhuman brilliance? I am not. I'm completely bored by it.

This episode was the last straw for me. Aside from the fact that I actually thought Hakeem was doing a good job running Empire (an unpopular opinion I know, but I appreciate the fact that Hakeem is smarter than most people give him credit for, and he never let his love of ambition trump his love of his family, unlike even Jamal when he had his chance), I just get tired of the same old plot yet again, and the same old "ohhh Lucious is sooooo bad" all over again.

And as someone pointed out above, the writers have turned Cookie into a weak joke. And there just aren't any other characters I care about anymore. I hate what they did with Camilla's character, Jamal has become a side note. Andre and Rhonda are the only ones I have any interest in or respect for, and you just know that awful things are going to keep happening to them unless they get the hell away from everything to do with the Lyon family, but you also know that they won't. Because that would be an interesting plot turn and these writers don't seem capable of writing those. Instead it will be more Lucious up, Lucious down, Cookie desperately trying to be all "stand by your man" because "what your father and I have runs deep" and Jamal drifting around aimlessly and Andre and Rhonda getting destroyed. I don't think I want to stick around to watch any of it.

Edited by Marsupial
  • Love 1

Sadly I too am fading fast when it come to this show.  Last season was so awesome, it was the best show on tv (that I was watching at least).  This season, meh.  Cookie really disappoints me.  She was so bad ass last season.  She was a good mom.  This season....what happened?!  She puts up with all of Lucious' bullshit after her ass sat in a jail cell for 17 YEARS to protect him?!  Just no.  She is taking this man's side over her own children.  She missed their entire childhood protecting him and now they are still not her number one priority.  The character is ruined.

I like Hakeem.  As much as he was a punk last season, this season he seems to be the only one with two brain cells to rub together and figure out the Lucious is in it for Lucious and no one else, period end of story.  Yeah yeah his childhood was fucked up (if any of that shit even happened), but guess what he is so much of a monster I can't even feel sorry for him.

I feel badly for Hakeem only.  All the others had their chance to run far away from Lucious and they didn't.  When Lucious gets the last laugh, they can't say they didn't see it coming.

• Love 2