Type keyword(s) to search

Lucifer Sets & Filming Locations

What building in LA is Lucifer club in, they always show the outside of it.  Its white and kind of looks like just the top of the empire state building?

A few years back, I got hooked on finding filming locations in Moonlight (which filmed at a lot of iconic LA sites). Since then, I can't watch a show shot in LA without trying to figure out the filming locations.

Lucifer's club/penthouse is the Sunset Tower Hotel on Sunset Blvd. However, everything from the penthouse on up, including the spire, is CGI. Here it is on the show:

e8jn3jo86uwm8e3zg.jpg

Here it is in real life:

uex6bgmaxa0anabzg.jpg

More amusingly, the outside of Lux is actually the Disney Store on Hollywood Blvd. across from the Hollywood & Highland Center:

d4ng5fwabnadc58zg.jpg

The interior of Lux in the pilot was the Emerson Theatre nightclub in Hollywood. (It was recreated on a much smaller soundstage for the rest of the episodes.)

u1j9dfqt5xqvthvzg.jpg

This is a cool article with pictures of the sets for Lux and Lucifer's penthouse:

‘Welcome to Hell': A look inside Lucifer’s luxurious L.A. nightclub and posh penthouse

http://www.etalk.ca/News/2016/January/Welcome-to-Hell-A-look-inside-Lucifers-luxurious-L

Edited by vampdetective
  • Love 5

Nice work!

No wonder I did not recognize that building.

Every cgi in films and tv should be told to the audience.

After I saw this video a few weeks ago. I can't believe anything I see anymore.

Edited by gwhh
  • Love 1

A few years back, one season of 24 was set in New York City, and I did some searching to see if they really did film in NYC. I came across a showreel for SFX company that worked on 24 and was amazed at how much CGI there was. So I agree, people only think CGI is bad because they notice it when it's badly done; when it's good, you never realize you're watching CGI.

Here's another set tour. This one covers Lux, Lucifer's penthouse, Chloe's beach house, Dr. Linda's office and Lucifer's car:

LUCIFER Set Tour: A Devilish Lifestyle

• Love 1

The pilot was filmed in LA. The rest of the series was filmed in Vancouver with some breaks where they went to LA for a couple days and shot footage for multiple episodes at once.

"Lucifer Stay. Good Devil" - The scene with the street preacher is on Hollywood Blvd.

"Would Be Prince of Darkness" - Didn't notice any LA locations.

"Manly Whatnots" - The street scene with Lucifer & Chloe after they get kicked out of the Players conference is also Hollywood Blvd.

"Sweet Kicks" - Didn't notice any LA locations.

"Favorite Son" - The sno-cone dude scene was next to the Santa Monica Pier. Lucifer & Chloe's walk & talk after that was in the oceanfront park near the Santa Monica Pier.

"Wingman" - I'm guessing the beach scenes were filmed at Santa Monica beach...

"Et Tu, Doctor?" & "Priest Walks into a Bar" - Didn't notice any LA locations.

"Pops" - There were overhead shots of the Farmer's Market and the Grove mall next door, which is supposed to be the location of Javier's restaurant, but they didn't film there.

I'm guessing that we'll see another LA location or two in the last batch of episodes.

Just remembered one more location. In the pilot, Jimmy's wedding was at the Wayfarers Chapel, a very popular wedding venue in real life. I discovered it a few years ago when I was researching wedding venues in LA and was tickled to see it pop up on Lucifer. The architect that built it is Lloyd Wright, the son of Frank Lloyd Wright.

• Love 2

I always KNEW Disney was in league with the devil.  No way you can be THAT successful in business without help from a super natural force!!

A few years back, I got hooked on finding filming locations in Moonlight (which filmed at a lot of iconic LA sites). Since then, I can't watch a show shot in LA without trying to figure out the filming locations.

Lucifer's club/penthouse is the Sunset Tower Hotel on Sunset Blvd. However, everything from the penthouse on up, including the spire, is CGI. Here it is on the show:

e8jn3jo86uwm8e3zg.jpg

Here it is in real life:

uex6bgmaxa0anabzg.jpg

More amusingly, the outside of Lux is actually the Disney Store on Hollywood Blvd. across from the Hollywood & Highland Center:
d4ng5fwabnadc58zg.jpg

The interior of Lux in the pilot was the Emerson Theatre nightclub in Hollywood. (It was recreated on a much smaller soundstage for the rest of the episodes.)

u1j9dfqt5xqvthvzg.jpg

This is a cool article with pictures of the sets for Lux and Lucifer's penthouse:

‘Welcome to Hell': A look inside Lucifer’s luxurious L.A. nightclub and posh penthouse

http://www.etalk.ca/News/2016/January/Welcome-to-Hell-A-look-inside-Lucifers-luxurious-L

• Love 1

Going by how the locations are grouped together, it looks like the show made three trips to LA to film exterior locations:

"Lucifer, Stay. Good Devil" street scene with Lucifer & the preacher is on Hollywood Blvd. "Manly Whatnots" street scene with Lucifer & Chloe after they get kicked out of the Player's seminar is on Hollywood Blvd.

"Favorite Son" Lucifer & Chloe question the sno-cone guy at Santa Monica Beach near the Santa Monica Pier. "Wingman" the beach scenes with Lucifer & Amenadiel is Santa Monica Beach or maybe nearby Venice Beach (can't quite place the skyline in the background).

"#TeamLucifer" the theater exterior where Rose's body is found is the Million Dollar Theater in downtown LA. (The interior is the Orpheum Theatre in Vancouver.) "Take Me Back To Hell" the rooftop scene with Lucifer & Amenadiel is at the Rosslyn Hotel in downtown LA. The police parking garage scene with Lucifer & Chloe is a parking garage across from the Disney Concert Hall in downtown LA.

According to one of the show's writers (forget which one), when they were filming the rooftop scene at the Rosslyn Hotel, it was actually one of LA's rare rainy days. I guess the weather gods in LA conspired to make LA look more like Vancouver...

I was wondering if the paintings of the devil in "#TeamLucifer" were real paintings or just made up for the show so I did some Googling. It looks like it's a bit of both. They Photoshopped the painting "Archangel Michael Defeating Satan" by Guido Reni to replace the human-looking Satan in the original with a more horny version:

01ii4gdq3uw2ncjzg.jpg

The other painting looks like they Photoshopped "Pandemonium" by John Martin to substitute different buildings and a devil figure instead of (what looks like) a Roman soldier:

kzho0iq0dbxo4g5zg.jpg

13 hours ago, kassygreene said:

Erm.  I believe it is the Roosevelt Hotel, not the Rosslyn.  Otherwise fantastic analysis, Thx!

They do look similar, but it's the Rosslyn.

The Rosslyn was also used in Moonlight, another TV show that I'm a fan of. A few years ago, a bunch of us Moonlight fans tracked down almost all the locations used in Moonlight, and I've visited them on fan tours. The Lucifer locations that were also used in Moonlight (and there's a surprising amount of crossover) are the ones that I recognize right away, e.g. the parking garage across from Disney Concert Hall is another obscure location that was weirdly used in both shows.

s307d4njj00o7b6zg.jpg

• Love 2

For those speculating about the beach on Season 1 episode Wingman, it's neither Santa Monica or Venice, it's Long Beach. I recognize the skyline because I grew up there and still live here. And if you ever see a beach scene with no waves it's probably Long Beach we have a break way out there in the water. 

• Love 1