Type keyword(s) to search

Explain the Kardashians

• Start Topic

This is not an inherent diss for liking them or watching them. I know how I feel personally, but what I'd enjoy reading is if people who love the show, or love the overall legacy/celebrity of the family are willing to lay out specifics as to what's formed those beliefs.  I can certainly understand a simple "I just like them", but for a topic like this I'm wondering if we can't get more.  What makes them so view-able.  And/or admirable in outside endeavors. If there are specific reasons their celebrity status resonates or matters to you.

Ok, so I HATED them, I thought Kim was a talentless famewhore who didn't deserve any amount of fame and that the show was about HER and that everyone was probably kissing her ass all the time. Then I read some post on Jezebel or something that called Scott Disick the worlds best long form performance artist or something similar and I decided to watch an episode. First off, it's not really about Kim. My husband and I had the flu and for a week all we did was watch the Kardashians on netflix, like ALL the seasons that were there. They're all so dumb and or crazy, Scott is such a douchecanoe that it HAS to be fake, he HAS to be acting like that on purpose at least sometimes because he knows it gets a rise out of Kris or Kourtney or whomever he's driving crazy. Also Khloe is a GIANT she constantly throws her sisters around and beats them up playfully and jokes about the fact that everyone thinks OJ is her dad. They all torture Kris and call her a horrible momager (ugh) and talk shit about her but at the same time they clearly love her. Generally speaking Khloe has a good sense of humor about the fact that people call her a monster and a drag queen, they ALL gang up on Kim and call her out for being a spoiled bitch when she's doing it and you also get the sense that they're aware of how they're viewed and they don't care. I'm not saying that's good or bad, but it is interesting. I don't know if I'm explaining it well, but for me at least I don't watch it because I like them specifically but more because it's all just so insane and clearly contrived half the time and it's funny. Watching out of touch rich people not be able to figure out how to do normal things amuses me I guess.

I read some post on Jezebel or something that called Scott Disick the worlds best long form performance artist or something similar and I decided to watch an episode. First off, it's not really about Kim. My husband and I had the flu and for a week all we did was watch the Kardashians on netflix, like ALL the seasons that were there. They're all so dumb and or crazy, Scott is such a douchecanoe that it HAS to be fake, he HAS to be acting like that on purpose at least sometimes because he knows it gets a rise out of Kris or Kourtney or whomever he's driving crazy. 

Didn't people make a lot of the same "its so over the top its a masterful performance" thing about The Hills (and spun off in countless other reality shows) Spencer Pratt and Heidi Montag?  The problem with that one boiled down to eventually figuring out that while they acted out specifically for the cameras, it's not like they were secret philanthropists or saints behind that.  

• Love 1

Oh sure, and I'm 100% sure it started out as real, he IS a gigantic douchebag. He just plays it up in entertaining ways. You'd have to watch to know what I mean, like this whole season he spent a lot of time and energy prank calling Kris, or like Kourtney goes out of town and he throws a "Lord" party (he bought a lordship or some nonsense) and went like CRAZY over the top with it, had butlers and crowns and shit, that stuff I think he does for the cameras.

Oh sure, and I'm 100% sure it started out as real, he IS a gigantic douchebag. He just plays it up in entertaining ways. You'd have to watch to know what I mean, like this whole season he spent a lot of time and energy prank calling Kris, or like Kourtney goes out of town and he throws a "Lord" party (he bought a lordship or some nonsense) and went like CRAZY over the top with it, had butlers and crowns and shit, that stuff I think he does for the cameras.

I do think that Scott may be the only one who really gets that the show is total bullshit. He admits he has no desire to work, so why not make big bucks while he can? 

I say make hay while the sun shines. I'd rather watch him be a drunken fool than Kim pretending to be some kind of fat assed earth mother sitting crossed legged on the dirty floor with some orphans pretending that they'll be anything more than a dim memory when she gets back to LA and her strenuous life of selfie taking, sun bathing and  paparazzi hunting.

• Love 3