Type keyword(s) to search

The Cast: Magical Characters and Actors

Watching the show, I of course noticed that Penny is a very attractive person, but his storyline in episode 5 broke through some kind of wall into "lord have mercy" territory. I'm currently cataloging Arjun Gupta's previous work and seeing how much of it I can find online. My attraction may partly be due to his styling as Penny, however, since the images of him in Nurse Jackie are fairly buttoned-down and sedate.

I'm curious to see if he brings the same aura of repressed anger and emotional trauma to his other roles.

I'm kind of intrigued by Alice/Olivia Taylor Dudley, because for the first few episodes I was thinking "I swear this woman looks familiar" and it wasn't until I looked it up I realized she was one of the original group that did the amazing "5 Second Films".  I used to keep up with their site back in the day, and she was great in those- and not just for her absurd good looks and figure- but as much as I'm happy she's springboarded into a real acting career, I haven't really enjoyed her in this show.  

The thing is, I'm not sure if it's because of the acting, or the character herself, as I've not read the books.  For example, when we find out she was from a hedonistic hippie upbringing, the sort of virgin-sheltered-princess vibe she'd had seemed totally misplaced- but I don't know if that's an acting choice on her part, or how the character is meant to be from the source.  I was slow to warm to Quentin as well, but once the show made clear he was more Neville Longbottom than Harry Potter, his sad-sack beta-geek persona worked for me.  But Alice is a total Mary Sue: beautiful, privileged, super smart, best magician at the school, etc, etc, and it's hard to enjoy that as a character especially when they seem so "broken bird" without good reason.

• Love 1

If she were a Mary Sue everyone would like her. They don't. She's anxiety-ridden and grieving for her brother--that's plenty of reason to be "broken bird," which again, she would not be if she were a Mary Sue. The Mary Sue is a wish fulfillment character for the author--loved by all, and effective in every situation, which Alice is not. Alice's virgin princess demeanor is a rebellion against her parents. She could hardly rebel any other way, could she?

just found this show and am watching season 1 on Netflix...omg...Quentin is an exact clone of a young Anderson Cooper....its crazy to me!

I love Anderson Cooper and his twitchy, "uncomfortable in his own skin" quirkiness.

If they ever do a bio-pic on him, they need to cast this dude. 

Edited by Christi

I've just started watching; binged through season 1 and I'm looking forward to more.  I'm a big fan of NY Yankees' baseball and there are many scenes involving Quentin where all I can think of is, "Why is (Yankees' pitcher) David Robertson in this scene?"  D-Rob and Jason Ralph look like brothers!  They're also only a year apart in age at 32 and 31, respectively.  Realizing that many may not be familiar with Robertson, here's a photo.

David+Robertson+New+York+Yankees+Photo+Day+Ck5eTRPq5orl.jpg

I was scrolling through Facebook and saw a random article on best dressed couples at the golden globes and this is when I discover that our Quintin is married to Mrs. Maisel?!! I freaked out and actually said out loud "QUINTIN?!"  I didnt know that! Had to come to the only place anyone would understand me getting excited. Nobody I know watches Magicians. Sigh.

• Love 4

Why Rachel Brosnahan and Her Husband Jason Ralph Choose to Keep Their Marriage Private

At the SAG Awards on Sunday, Brosnahan said that she and Ralph have actually “been married for years,” but clarified her choice to avoid discussing her marriage publicly in the following statement:

“I’ve been quite private about my personal life for a few reasons. The first being that it’s just that…personal,” she said. “Jason and I also noticed early on that, while we are both the leads of successful television series, he has almost never been asked about our relationship while I have been asked on almost every red carpet I have walked in the last 2 years. We both find this double standard problematic and frustrating and opted to redirect those conversations to our work.”

• Love 2