Type keyword(s) to search

Pentatonix: Season 3 Champs

This week's Billboard Top 200 albums chart updates:

TCTM: #6 (up from #13)

Pentatonix: #22 (#37--yay for a big bounce!) 

PTXMas: #99 (up from #190)

There's that halo effect, again. TCTM was #2 on BB200 last year--can it rise to #2 this year? I think Adele's 25 will hold off everyone else from a BB200 #1.

• Love 1

Apparently, they're going to be getting some decent airtime on Logo's "Happy Holigays" Christmas programming: http://www.newnownext.com/rupaul-to-slay-christmas-with-first-ever-holiday-special-rpdr-im-dreaming-of-a-green-screen-christmas/12/2015/

RuPaul’s Drag Race: Green Screen Christmas will kick off Logo’s inaugural “Happy Holigays” programming event from December 13-31.

“Happy Holigays” will feature Grammy Award-winning a capella group Pentatonix performing holiday classics throughout...

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 2

In this week's Superfruit, Mitch and Scott watch videos of their Sing-Off performances! It's really funny, because Mitch apparently hadn't seen them in 4 years if ever, and Scott had just watched them so he could put together the clips, and they just crack up over the choreo.

• Love 2

I read somewhere (can't remember now it's in my RSS (Stalker Feed :D) on Pentatonix, that the Pentatonix self titled album may return to the Top 10 again! Yes!! I'm not sure about them being in the Top 2, because of Beiber, but Top 3, or Top 5 will be amazing! And even though Beiber is doing amazingly on streaming, Pentatonix's social media game is amazingly on point. Anything can happen! 

But I am just so excited to see that the Self titled album is making a come back and going strong too, meaning that many people are discovering Pentatonix again (and seemingly liking it). They're going to get more famous which is bad for me because concert tickets will be a pain to get now. *cries happily and sadly at the same time*

Meanwhile, the Charlie Brown christmas thing is so adorable. I wish they wear something more festive. Mitch is the closest in terms of style to the Peanuts Gang (Color block etc). So fun!

I read somewhere (can't remember now it's in my RSS (Stalker Feed :D) on Pentatonix, that the Pentatonix self titled album may return to the Top 10 again! Yes!! I'm not sure about them being in the Top 2, because of Beiber, but Top 3, or Top 5 will be amazing! And even though Beiber is doing amazingly on streaming, Pentatonix's social media game is amazingly on point. Anything can happen!

Bliebo isn't the big limiter on the top spot anymore. Adele is. So yeah, that means the highest spot reasonably available is #3. And a new release will probably get that each week.

I'd say they'll be lucky to crack Top 10 again, but may do so the moment they release a new single that actually gets radio airplay. Can't Sleep Love was really never going to go that high or stick around that much.

Oddly enough Kirsten, who usually has the most flair other than maybe Mitch, is the one with the questionable outfit there. First time in a while I've seen her look frumpy. Even see-through cutouts don't change that--the flat unrelieved black at that length, and boxy shape, don't flatter her in the least, or those weird little appliqués stuck on the dress.

Avi and his weird tight leggings crack me up a bit (they look like he borrowed them from Mitch, who you EXPECT to wear something like that), but they work with that jacket.

Oh and I just saw that TMZ bit that ptxnews posted on his 3rd channel. Brutal that TMZ is posing the Star Wars thing as "not going over well". Harvey Levin really is a slimeball...the guys in the TMZ studio doing their usual arguing over this just comes off as annoying frankly.  if this was talking about some criticism of the quality of their performance I'd actually be okay with it. Or if someone thought the outfits looked silly. Or something that PTX actually had input into... it's just opinions. But tossing out and reporting anonymous gripes and net nickpicks over the orchestra (something PTX had no control over, likely)... Ugh. I mean a lot of us disliked the orchestra too, but I don't see why Scott would (or should) have to defend it.

At least it was free press for PTX though. Sometimes you have to accept the "no press is bad press" adage and move on.

Edited by Kromm
Oddly enough Kirsten, who usually has the most flair other than maybe Mitch, is the one with the questionable outfit there. First time in a while I've seen her look frumpy.

Agreed.  And I was just about to post that her stylist should get a raise: she looked great in the Charlie Brown video, and I loved watching how loose and happy she looked performing there.

Kevin, also, has been doing better in the wardrobe department, for the most part.  I liked Avi much better in his leather jacket/hoodie phase than I do in his latest incarnations.

I've come across chatter saying perhaps she's sick again (or at an early stage of having a cold). She should sound better on the upcoming CMA Country Christmas special, as that was taped a few weeks ago.

Also, there were a few tweets complaining about the sound guy making bad choices during PTX's Hark, The Herald performance (that wasn't nationally televised).

Edited by SrPab

Are the videos of the show up yet?

These shows with variety of performers tend to be hit and miss, depending on their luck of getting sound guys that get them.

So frustrating. But it seems that they are a staple figure in the tree lighting ceremony now? How very Mariah Carey diva! Wow!

Also almost a 100k copies sold of TCTM! I am sooooo glad and happy!

• Love 1

Well the opener and closer are the big spots. I don't know if simply being in the last half means much overall if you AREN'T the closer...

PTX was the closer for the Charlie Brown 50th...and PTX helped open the CMA Country Christmas special.

• Love 1

I wasn't paying attention at the beginning of the show, but boy, are they getting big airtime here! Opener along with the host and, if I'm not mistaken, Brian Setzer's orchestra (ETA, on second thought, it's just the house band), then their original song (nice exposure for an original) at the one hour mark, and another song in the second hour.

(It was nice seeing Lindsey Stirling get a rare standing ovation for her impressive performance, too.)

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 3

I wasn't paying attention at the beginning of the show, but boy, are they getting big airtime here! Opener along with the host 

An honor and sign of fame level sure, but man was that cheesy. In fact it jars with my recollection of Jennifer Nettles' image even more than theirs, so I applaud her for pulling it off without a big red embarrassed face at the end. I mean PTX just had to sing in the background. Nettles had to do that silly showgirl stuff in the foreground.

I wonder if a capella super-purists once more were outraged that they sang with a band in the vicinity though.

EDIT - Okay, so much for any impression that Jennifer Nettles might be embarrassed about ANY of the stuff they made her do. I just caught the bit with her and Brian Setzer doing that Merry Christmas song to the tune of the Flintstones theme.  You gotta have zero capability to be embarrassed to do THAT.

Edited by Kromm

It was nice seeing Lindsey Stirling get a rare standing ovation for her impressive performance, too

It's so bizarre she has to go to a country audience to get that kind of well deserved praise. Could it be as simple as country folk knowing their fiddle playing better?

• Love 2

I guess I'm a sucker for cheese with my holiday music, because I really enjoyed the entire special. Then again, I grew up on Bing Crosby Christmas specials in my younger years and the Time Life album will be on the speakers when I put up my tree tonight. Lots of good performances throughout, and even if the opener was cheestastic, the dancers were all fully committed to it. And I think that Setzer's number is one he always does in his holiday concerts, but I could be wrong. I thought that Nettles and Lindsey's Silent Night was lovely, and am considering buying Leeann Rimes's Christmas album.

• Love 1

I didn't realize the #CMACountryChristmas special was really a @PTXofficial special in disguise. More performances by them then anyone else.

@LisaSteiner_PTX retweeted another viewer's take on things. I agree with it factually. However...

I wonder if a capella super-purists once more were outraged that they sang with a band in the vicinity though.

...I'll be limiting my social media browsing over the weekend.

I don't want these aggravations: 1) Some corners of the country music world put out that a pop a cappella group got an infomercial during the broadcast. 2) Any number of HF fans beside themselves (again) that PTX has apparently kicked in the country music door and are getting opportunities for fame and glory while HF is toiling away in obscurity. 3) A cappella purists irritated by another televised a cappella + orchestra collab. My shopping forays this weekend and next will provide me with all the headaches; thanks, muchly.

Edited by SrPab

I think that they might have had the most airtime, other than the host! (And I see that SrPab beat me to that observation--hi there!) Not only that, but they got some time to chat with Nettles (not every performer did), and she also did some independent promo-ing of them after the opener.

ETA: And I thought that they sounded good with the orchestra, for once. It helped that they got some non-accompanied time in their part of the opener to show off their full range without the instruments, and the choice of TCTM for their first solo non-Nettles performance meant that they demonstrated the harmonies first, something that the CMA audience would really appreciate more than most audiences, I think.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 1

I've only been able to watch whatever videos have been posted on YT.  I wonder if their appearance with Jennifer Nettles goes back to their performance of Stuck Like Glue on the Singoff.  It was one of their more stripped down performances.  In the video of the original piece, Jennifer Nettles has a dance/exercise type of routine so maybe she has experience/training or an inclination to do dance routines.

No credit given. Blatant copy of PTX & Lindsey's arrangement. Well done "The Voice." Like no one would notice. It was supposedly rearrangement week where Gwen, the coach, took credit for the arrangement. 

Ben Bram has caught wind of it. "Hey @NBCTheVoice, you have a fast schedule, but did you have to use every note of the @PTXofficial arrangement?"

• Love 1

No credit given. Blatant copy of PTX & Lindsey's arrangement. Well done "The Voice." Like no one would notice. It was supposedly rearrangement week where Gwen, the coach, took credit for the arrangement.

Ben Bram has caught wind of it. "Hey @NBCTheVoice, you have a fast schedule, but did you have to use every note of the @PTXofficial arrangement?"

I wonder if their publishing rights with Sony will help them go after the Voice!

(or is publishing rights only for original songs?)

That's crazy, even the cello licks at the beginning (don't know what its called).

The poor guy though. If you put the two performance side by side, you'll see how their imperfect rip off falls sooooo short off the mark. Made me appreciate Scott's voice more. And Kevin/Avi. And Mitch/Kirstie's harmonies

• Love 1

I wonder if their publishing rights with Sony will help them go after the Voice!

That's crazy, even the cello licks at the beginning (don't know what its called).

The poor guy though. If you put the two performance side by side, you'll see how their imperfect rip off falls sooooo short off the mark. Made me appreciate Scott's voice more. And Kevin/Avi. And Mitch/Kirstie's harmonies

Swiping someone's arrangement of a song they don't own probably isn't legally actionable in any way whatsoever. It's just rude and bad for your reputation.

To be fair I doubt Gwen had anything to do with either the arrangement swiping OR the "script" the show seemed to follow (not) discussing it. Unless the episode actually shows her saying she did.  But really what's more likely is that this Braden kid (who really turned in a mega-shit performance of it anyway) either brought the idea to them, or one of the legion of behind the scenes trainers and PAs who work on the production side and do most of the actual vocal coaching, choreography, set design, and musical arrangement for the acts when the cameras aren't on, etc. did so (because the celeb coaches? If they spend a half an hour per week with each act I'd be surprised).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

Grammy noms are out...PTX and Ben Bram have again been nominated for a Grammy in the category of Best Arrangement, Instrumental Or A Cappella (#62 on the list) for Dance Of The Sugar Plum Fairy. Additionally, Committed (TSO Season 2 champs) are nominated in that same category for their Christmas song Do You Hear What I Hear.

The PP2 soundtrack is nominated for Best Compilation Soundtrack For Visual Media (#58 on the list).

Hooray for a cappella!!!

Edited by SrPab
  • Love 2

They may get that regularly now, because the way the categories exist now favors it. I mean this category was specifically rejiggered only last year to allow a capella and so previously was just one of several instrumental arranging categories where it seems Jazz people won every year before.  Those Jazz guys have got to HATE this, because I suspect Pentatonix may win it fairly often and that's less for them, so to speak. 

Wow. Went to ptxofficial.com and it is damn slow now.  Avoid their new front page (it gets redirected to http://tctm.ptxofficial.com) because THAT'S the bottleneck and go straight to http://ptxofficial.com/home

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

First of all, congratulations Pentatonix on their second Grammy Nomination! I hope for 30 more, to be like Queen Bey. 

But, I wonder if PTX and co. are getting a bit anxious. I know it's just their debut album of originals (many more albums to come), 

but there's a huge risk about the Grammy suits feeling like they've created that Acappella category and leave it at that. 

I know that Ben, PTX, everyone in their camp really wants that Main Prize noms. Hopefully sooner rather than later. 

All grammys are equal, but I suspect that some are more equal than others, so to speak. I think not necessarily this year, but they should make a huge push for next year. If they fail to leave their no. 62 box (Acappella arrangement, there's a real threat of winning nothing but that). I'm sure they already have a strategy in place to make a bid for that Pop Song of the Year, or Pop Group of the year or some such. And then SOTY, ROTY, AOTY!!! YAAAAYYYYY Ooooff.. SOrry, getting ahead of myself there. 

BUT WOULDN'T IT BE AMAZING?

Don't get me wrong, I'm so happy for their grammy nomination, and if they win I'll probably be ugly crying the same way I did when they won their first. :D 

Oh happy times.

And Pentatonix being mentioned in the same breath as Star Wars (apparently that's heir set opener now?),, Justin Beiber, and Adele? (And Soon... COLDPLAY... future contender in the Group Category? One gal can dream) WOW! 

Last year, they're mentioned in the same breath as Taylor Swift. 

As the youngsters say "you do you Pentatonix. Keep on rolling" (I hope I'm using this idiom the right way)

Edited by debbydeb
  • Love 1

I have some similar/some different thoughts on that...

If enough a cappella music is in the public consciousness year in and year out, perhaps in the future (say, 5 yrs) the Grammys could create a standalone category simply called Best A Cappella Arrangement, or some such. Would something like that serve as a black hole for a cappella acts (incl. PTX)? No need to nominate them for any of the more prestigious categories? I hope this current category and a maybe-future category won't serve as limiting factors for the art form.

Regardless, I'm thrilled with them getting second nom. And I'm pleased that another a cappella group received one, too. I've read chatter that RCA plans to make PTX a global phenomenon. That can be done without major awards recognition, IMO. However, it could create disconnects if PTX really blows up big but they never get nominated for the big prizes.

I know that creating and sharing your art works shouldn't be about accumulating fancy paper weights. But awards recognition is one aspect that begets new audiences/potential fans/higher-profile gigs that begets awards recognition. Just like a steady stream of content/music vids is another.

Edited by SrPab
  • Love 2

My cynical side is wondering if the Grammy committee decided to amend that category last year to add a cappella just in case "the fad" wears out in a few years, and then they can just ignore the entire genre all over again.

• Love 2

My cynical side is wondering if the Grammy committee decided to amend that category last year to add a cappella just in case "the fad" wears out in a few years, and then they can just ignore the entire genre all over again.

Since there are those who consider a cappella music's prominence and cultural mindshare a cyclical thing...I'm right there with you. I'd like things to be different...does it make me insane for expecting a different outcome this time around?

Edited by SrPab
  • Love 1

Awesome that they're nominated again. One of the major categories where they could of been nominated for was New Artist last/this year but TCTM was released after the deadline. Haha at Billboard, PTX is boring for not singing any lyrics. Hopefully they'll get to present at the main show (CMA style perhaps?)

All these other award shows have some sort of 'trailblazer' award, PTX should be definitely be up for consideration. Paving the way and reigniting the a cappella genre but no, only A-listers/extremely popular peeps are looked at. At least the Grammys isn't a fan voted award show.

• Love 2

Billboard Top 200 updates:

TCTM: #3 (#6)

Pentatonix: #15 (#22)

PTXmas: #66 (#99)

Holiday Albums:

TCTM: #1 (#1)

PTXmas: #12 (#14)

Holiday Singles:

Mary Did You Know?: #5 (#13)

TCTM: #43 (#78)

Winter Wonderland/Don't Worry Be Happy: #62 (#92)

White Winter Hymnal: #74 (#84)

Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy: #84

• Love 1

You know it's amazing to me that Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy got that nom with only 14m YouTube views--and in a way reassuring that people nominating weren't just crunching stats to pick something out.

I actually love the thing, both the neat arrangement AND the weird ass Bohemian Rhapsody-inspired video. It was really head and shoulders above everything else on TCTM, other than possibly Winter Wonderland / Don't Worry Be Happy (another underplayed video).  

• Love 1

(spontaneous brain fart trivia alert)

In the SING video, they are walking across the street in formation from the Beatles Abbey Road album cover but in the opposite direction.  Sorry, if someone noticed that before.

• Love 1

Indeed. If you check the comments on the video, almost 98% of people hated it due to the ripped off arrangement. Also, here's a side by side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGonCxF4rp4

TL:DR Braiden Sunshine, nice try but you're no Scott Hoying, Kirstie Maldonado or Mitch Grassi.

• Love 1

Okay, the Christmas lights to Pentatonix is pretty standard now (and we should probably post some neat new ones for this year if we see them). But here's a person who did something a step further.  The light show isn't really anything, but they put a video screen outside SHOWING a Pentatonix video.  Like... really.

• Love 1

Okay, here's a new light show to supplement that. The sequencing/sync with the music really isn't that good.  But the big giant Santa on the house is SO goofy this is worth sharing anyway.

Sadly NONE of the videos I've found for this year's light shows have very good/clever sequencing. It's just a lot of blinking on and off and not anything really neat, like a cascade effect. 

EDIT -  Actually,wait.  Here's someone I just found who's PTX stuff is quite good (and pretty). Plenty of PTX stuff on his channel--here's just two of them.

https://youtu.be/o6V2-30khIk

P.S. - Too bad this guy(click here) doesn't seem to use Pentatonix. Watch some of his videos anyway. His lights are a dozen levels up from all of these other amateurs.

Or ditto for this guy (click here) - who DID last year (2014) make the really odd choice of using "Daft Punk" for a Christmas Light Show rather than one of their actual Christmas songs. Actually here that is, weird a choice as it is.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3

Since he doesn't seem to get as many write-ups/interview opportunities as some of the others, check out this @LisaSteiner_PTX tweet and link to an article from The SourceKevin!

Edited by SrPab

...If you check the comments on the video, almost 98% of people hated it due to the ripped off arrangement...

I wonder if much of the reason for the dissatisfaction for his performance is due to singing what is, essentially, a custom arrangement. What I mean by that is PTX and Ben Bram arranged the vocals to fit the trio's (and Avi's) voices--their effective singing ranges, their tonal qualities, their vocal stylings. If Braiden performed that arrangement with not one note changed to better suit *his* voice, then it doesn't surprise me that it came across as a pale imitation.

It was mentioned that Ben tweeted about this earlier. But, he also posted about it on his personal FB page and tagged The Voice FB page. It was only up for awhile before being deleted. I read the comments that were left a few hours before it was taken down and there were mentions of legal action. A copyright lawyer said that unless Imagine Dragons gave PTX + Lindsey Stirling permission to do their arrangement (i.e., copyrighting their arrangement), then there's no legal standing.

However, someone else commented that the arrangement/sheet music (either the whole thing or just Lindsey's contribution) is on Hal Leonard (a music print publishing firm). The copyright lawyer replied that there could be a legal leg to stand on. I don't think anything will come of it, but you never know.

Edited by SrPab