Type keyword(s) to search

Pentatonix: Season 3 Champs

Giving shout-outs to The Baddest Girl, Show You How To Love, Love Again, Hey Momma, and See Through--particularly See Through.

Current crop...I've already mentioned above, but To The River is my hourly obsession.

Wish it's available as single digital download. I wonder if Amazon JP carries it as single download. I'm so curious now. Is Scott singing lead in it or Kevin? (Did I read somewhere that Kev wrote and sung it or am I just hallucinating?)

My current loop on the new album: Misbehanvin and Rose Gold.

I really like their Lean On, but I still have the bitter taste of watching the original Lean On music video (which aesthetically I really dislike for some reason--and no, not because of India or the girl singer's posture either). Just... something's off and it almost made me swear off the song completely.

Thank goodness for Mitch.

Edit: Oh also Water.

So just the three (and one song by Anouar Brahem "Astrakhan Cafe" if anyone wants to give a try) on my loop list as I go through my chores.

A clean house and a happy ear :)

Edited by debbydeb

About To The River: Mitch is on lead. A Cappella Academy Retreat 2015 members provide background vocals. It's a mid-tempo song. To me, it sounds like a throwback R&B/New Jack Swing song. But it's also got a gospel-y vibe (courtesy of those background vocals). Avi's prominent in the bridge.

Here's a taste from a recording session during Retreat --> https://vine.co/v/e9aqvLZg7hx

If you've never used Vine before, I think audio is default muted--so just turn it on (speaker icon in upper left corner). Also, I have nothing to confirm this but I think To The River will eventually be available for paid download/stream--as I don't believe the Target Exclusive is a long-term deal. Otherwise, I figure some enterprising YTer will put it up eventually (but perhaps pitched to avoid a takedown notice).

Edited by SrPab
  • Love 1

Misbehavin' & Cracked live. 

They've been hosting their respective listening parties and lots of interesting questions are answered. They definitely plan on making a music video for most of them and might tour in Spring.

Oh and there's also a rumour that "If I Ever Fall In Love feat. Jason Derulo" will be the next single as RCA has sent it to an urban radio station. 

• Love 2

Oh and there's also a rumour that "If I Ever Fall In Love feat. Jason Derulo" will be the next single as RCA has sent it to an urban radio station. 

I know some people hate that the music business is this way, but it's pretty sound strategy these days to use one of those "feat." things as a radio play springboard for an act (both sides of that--with them being the "feat' or having a big name as it). Derulo arguably isn't even a BIG enough name (he only has a single main chart #1 in his career), but he's the only partnership like this they have on the album (other than Tink). If they'd managed to land a song with either Ariana Grande or Meghan Trainor (both allegedly fans of theirs), that would have worked even better (it sure helped Charlie Puth).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3

It's a tight race to #1 as reported by HDD 

Surprised Demi is pulling those numbers. Feel that she might pull ahead with her streams. 

Deke Sharon got word of it and is telling everyone to buy and stream it. Would be awesome if they get #1. Let's make history! No a cappella album has ever hit #1. Spread the word.

Their Saturday Night Online Q&A was fun. They probably learnt a lot more about each other in that chat. Who knew, Kevin and that Halloween costume.

• Love 3

Thank you for the chat video! Wow. I just love their camaraderie.

@SrPab, thanks for the vine link. So happy to see them incorporate the kids of Acapella Academy (also love the concept of Acapella Academy itself).

Someone posted a mini snippet of all 3 target exclusive songs (Take me to the river, problem and aha (live versions))

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eaBWzuPh67M

Take me to the river is indeed great!

I wish it was in the main album instead, maybe replacing one of the other songs. Even from the snippet I love it already.

Edited by debbydeb
  • Love 1

To The River turned into my weekend obsession!

I randomly came across a tweet from someone saying that Na Na Na was playing during an NFL broadcast (perhaps a pre-game show).

Edited by SrPab

Question: At 2:22 in "Sing" when Kevin is rapping, what does he say at the end of "I'm a human (something)"? I've listened a billion times but can't figure it out and the video doesn't show his face during that part for me to try to lip read... Can anyone help?

I listened to that section a few times...and my nearly worn-out ears can't make it out--even with headphones on. It's so "low", it made me think it was Avi butting in for a hot second.

Edited by SrPab

Link embedded in a tweet from @LisaSteiner_PTX (I couldn't get a URL to the tweet itself) --> "They're in their own lane"...a little bit more regarding that Sony/ATV worldwide publishing deal.

"Human 808"...a few days ago, I came across a tweet from Kevin replying to someone's question about what an 808 was. I didn't think anything more about it at the time. The More You Know

Edited by SrPab
  • Love 2

So there are... 14 new songs + 3 covers. 

Do you think they'll sing all of them on tour?

17 songs + Kevin's cello moment + Let's Get It On, not to mention various snippets? 

They're going to have a longer concert, if they do. 

Nobody ever sings every song from a new album on a tour.  They cherrypick and alternate and make sure at least half the set are old standbyes. In this case admittedly those old standbyes are covers... but that shouldn't really change the fact that fans mostly show up paying to see the familiar.

Also, they seem to have zero tour dates scheduled right now. I'm betting the album will have been out for a bit by the time they tour again, so that should allow them to plan around if any tracks actually get serious radio play, and perhaps by how many YouTube hits the videos have gotten.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3

In case anyone has Netflix and still hasn't seen On My Way Home (the docu-movie), it's up today.  Which makes me very happy since I never shelled out for the vimeo.

I was quite touched to hear the group's narrative (especially Avi, who is so ridiculously articulate and sensitive).  You also hear the tiniest snippets of a few of the new album's songs.

I wouldn't be surprised if Water becomes a big hit.

• Love 3

Even if To The River never gets any radio love, I'd greatly appreciate hearing it live (one-off tv appearances, tour stops, those web-exclusive bits where they're interviewed but also sing a song on- or off-mic).

Yeah...radio airplay, YT views/likes, Twitter trending, chart position/longevity, etc... these could factor into the make-up of a touring setlist.

• Love 1

I was just coming to post about that article, too! Shaking my head, though, at the consistent editing of "the Pentatonix". I know Ben knows better--so the editor altered Ben's direct quote.

Switching gears, it's nice seeing "celeb" endorsements for the new album.

The Lovatics vs. Pentaholics spat is stupid. I shouldn't be surprised--fan is short for fanatic.

ETA: Forgot to mention this...besides the Oct. 20 Today (NBC) appearance, PTX will also be on Fox & Friends on Oct. 22 (FOX network; check local listings). I have faith someone will put up clips of these appearances, on YT, in short order.

Edited by SrPab
  • Love 1

I always try to console myself, at least its THE Pentatonix and not A Pentatonix or Some Pentatonix.

apparently they're doing a war of attrition in the Album review sections etc. Poor Kelly Clarkson got caught in the crossfire.

Wish they'd realize spewing hate won't help anything with ratings. Only buying and promoting (and streaming? Does that count for the main chart or just the digital chart)?

My husband said it: in the end the wallet is mightier than the keyboard.

Thank goodness its Pop though and not Soccer!

Edited by debbydeb

1,500 streams = 1 album purchase. I've seen several tweets saying that Apple Music streams don't count--but apparently streams from services like Spotify do count.

I appreciate your perspective, debbydeb. If this was a soccer match, I fear there would already be fatalities.

• Love 1

Does anyone know if the Amazon streaming counts toward the total? The album is a free download with a Prime account, so that's how I have it, but I will fit ordering a CD into the budget if it doesn't count, just to support.

There's an actual fan war going on? People have so much time on their hands. But I guess that means Pentatonix have really hit the big time. Or is it only the big time if Beliebers and Pentaholics start going at it?

• Love 1

@SrPab, thanks for thr equivalency number. Wow 1500 streams is a lot!

@FoundAPeanut I'm not sure about Amazon or even iTunes because PTX is doing a stream drive especially on Spotify.

https://twitter.com/ptxofficial/status/656152409421426688

@PTXofficial: All week long we're gonna be following and responding to those who are streaming our new album on @Spotify... #StreamPTX

So I'm guessing only spotify counts?

Speaking of Fans, I get a kick out of Alexander Kirk's twitter feed. He's being a Fan by getting random people to buy PTX albums. And apparently whatever charm he employs is working. He's calling himself Elder Kirk now. A Book of Mormon reference? (I don't understand) Lindsey Dtirling is a Mormon also. Is he marketing at church?

Anyway, he's being a Model Pentaholic!

Edited by debbydeb
  • Love 1

I remember reading somewhere that streams from Google Play and Amazon do count (as well as Spotify). I don't know if Microsoft has a streaming service--but if they do it may not be a big enough platform.

When did Selena's album come into the picture? Did she have a Friday release, too? Regardless of how things shake out, I view the actual outcome in a positive light for PTX. I still see them as an underdog (perhaps condescendingly, on my part) so it amuses me to think they are still punching above their weight class. To even be in these kinds of situations (including lame fandom "wars") is, dare I say it, barely imaginable for an a cappella group, JFC.

I mean...from a certain perspective it takes big music names to block PTX nowadays.

ETA: I think Spotify getting all these mentions is because it is the biggest (most users, most daily activity) streaming platform?

Edited by SrPab

@SrPab, thanks for thr equivalency number. Wow 1500 streams is a lot!

@FoundAPeanut I'm not sure about Amazon or even iTunes because PTX is doing a stream drive especially on Spotify.https://twitter.com/ptxofficial/status/656152409421426688

So I'm guessing only spotify counts?

Speaking of Fans, I get a kick out of Alexander Kirk's twitter feed. He's being a Fan by getting random people to buy PTX albums. And apparently whatever charm he employs is working. He's calling himself Elder Kirk now. A Book of Mormon reference? (I don't understand) Lindsey Dtirling is a Mormon also. Is he marketing at church?

Anyway, he's being a Model Pentaholic!

Thanks, debbydeb! I hope Amazon is counted, because I'm sure a lot of people with Amazon Prime will go for that deal like I have. I'll fit my CD order in this week just in case, though.

Not on Twitter but, if that's the Alexander Kirk I think it is, he probably qualifies as among the most senior of Pentaholics. He's Scott's boyfriend. You're German, right? So, I don't know if you're aware of the Mormon church's recent history with regards to gay rights, but being an out, gay Mormon, well, probably a complicated issue. No idea if Alex is Mormon but I'm not picturing a sales campaign focused in Mormon meetinghouses or temples.

Bummer if Gomez grabs the crown, but #2 - or even #3 - would be not at all a shabby showing.

Edited by Found A Peanut

Maybe the Selena Gomez album is only in the UK? ETA: Nope! The article I got her name from is listing the current week's winner, who is Selena Gomez. But the article does say that either Demi Lovato or PTX is going to knock her off the top spot. Because according to the latest Headline Planet sales figures, it looks like PTX is going to get the top spot:

Updated projections suggest Pentatonix's "Pentatonix" will narrowly win the pure sales race; Demi Lovato's "Confident," meanwhile, may lead in total consumption.

With a weekend’s worth of data now available, Hits Daily Double gives Pentatonix’s self-titled album a narrow lead in the weekly pure sales race.

Demi Lovato’s “Confident,” however, remains the frontrunner in the consumption-oriented Billboard 200.

Hits is now projecting a 73-78,000 opening week pure sales total for the Pentatonix album. Lovato’s newest release remains on track to sell 68-73,000 inaugural week copies.

Given the close proximity of the projections — and the fact that several days remain in the tracking week — one should neither rush to crown “Pentatonix” nor rush to rule out “Confident.” One should, however, recognize that “Pentatonix” is currently trending as the week’s best-selling album.

Thanks to the impact of Track Equivalent Albums (10 single sales = 1 album equivalent unit) and Streaming Equivalent Albums (1500 single streams = 1 album equivalent unit), “Confident” may still post the week’s greatest consumption total.

While disclosing that this week’s streaming estimate is particularly rough, Hits anticipates an 85-90,000 consumption unit total for “Confident.” “Pentatonix” is currently expected to move 80-85,000.

Like the pure sales race, the consumption battle still appears up for grabs.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 1

I was just coming to post about that article, too! Shaking my head, though, at the consistent editing of "the Pentatonix". I know Ben knows better--so the editor altered Ben's direct quote.

Yeah, it's literally a case of someone transcribing him talking over a phone, I think, and them hearing what they wanted to hear (so it's probably not even an editor, but the article writer).

The battle for #1 is real. It would be a bummer if PTX sells more albums but loses the top spot because of streaming. Spread the word!!! Keep it playing in the background on mute. (Great debut week for PTX though. Against a someone who has a a giant fanbase,Top 20 hit and who just performed on SNL. 80K-ish is great)

Gomez isn't getting #1. They're referring to her recent release (last week) and an album released years ago. That's the consecutive #1's.

HDD is an official source. This is where all the news articles are getting their numbers from. They also have a building + streaming sales album chart you can check out which is updated every Friday.

Radio Chart Update for CSL. (Oct 12-18)

AC: ^18 (22)

HAC: ^38 (42)

POP: ^43 (45)

Edited by ptxnewsandstuff
  • Love 1

You know, I've been thinking about this whole "The" thing for years actually. For a while I was forgiving, because so many of the greats have a semi-silent "The" in them. THE Rolling Stones. THE Beatles. 

But when you think about it, just in terms of who's popular and current, does that really hold out?  Nobody says "THE Maroon Five". Or "THE One Direction". 

So it's got to come down ultimately to some vocal-group bias/assumption.  When you hear it people aren't equating Pentatonix to The Rolling Stones.  They're equating them to countless college a capella groups in the back of their minds.  Which might make professional choir nerds like Ben Folds happy, but not any real record company marketing people. 

• Love 2

Are people singing naked for the second one?

Funnily enough, there have been a few tweets and retweets saying that PTX should put out a nude photoshoot to ensure #1!

Regarding "the Pentatonix"...my only gripe has been that, AFAIK, PTX have never referred to themselves as that. On The Sing-Off, for all his mangled pronunciations, Nick Lachey never called them "the Pentatonix". I think Kromm is onto something in that people are hearing what they want to hear.

In the case of the Beatles, I seem to recall seeing archival footage of them (and probably YT clips) where you could clearly see one of the drums Ringo pounded on had "The Beatles" clearly and prominently written on it. And Kromm is also right in that I've never heard anyone say "The Maroon Five"--I know I've never called them that (even when I first came upon them).

ETA: Just now remembered that there were a few tweets from Pentaholics taking Graham Norton to task for mangling the pronunciation of "Pentatonix". Apparently, he was on a radio show when he tried the name-dropping. I don't know if he was being facetious.

Anyway, for all the ribbing they get on their band name it doesn't come across as trite or unmemorable to me. Especially if one knows even a little bit of music theory and can suss out that the band name comes from the word "pentatonic". I think it was Ben Bram who got them all to agree to change it from Pentatonics to Pentatonix. (They could have instead come up with one of those bad-pun aca names.)

Think HAC is targeted to a younger audience. Its like a mix between pop and AC.

PG-13 rating, then?

ETA: Maybe in some people's minds, when they hear "Pentatonix", their brain interprets it as "The Five Tonics"? Therefore, "The Penta Tonics" = "The Pentatonix"? Nah, I got nuthin'.

No matter what chart position Pentatonix ultimately gets for first-week sales, wouldn't this be their best non-holiday sales debut? Vol. 3 had, what, around 35K - 40K units in its debut week?

And the chart we're all talking about is Billboard 200 Album chart, right?

By the by, I just saw a reply tweet from ptxnewsandstuff giving a link to an article saying that Apple Music streams count (and have since August, it appears)!

Edited by stacey

No matter what chart position Pentatonix ultimately gets for first-week sales, wouldn't this be their best non-holiday sales debut? Vol. 3 had, what, around 35K - 40K units in its debut week?

And the chart we're all talking about is Billboard 200 Album chart, right?

Seriously. A great debut for an original album. RCA must be loving it. 

No matter if its #1 or #2 hope people aren't childish about it like some Dem fans online right now. Throwing insults at PTX, real nice. 

• Love 1

The big shame is that Billboard doesn't count plays of a music video devoted to a track.

Why should it count?  For the same reason an audio-only steam counts.  If you can't rely on pure sales for a calculation anyway, then it shouldn't matter if the stream is audio or audio/video, as long as it's 100% dedicated to an OFFICIAL copy of a song (so no counting live performances, no counting alternative takes, etc. but JUST the main copies put out by the artist themselves or the label, or an official partner like VEVO).

• Love 3

Wow the race is burning up. I guess it shows the studio execs PTX are worth it :) they really do have a good fanbase.

It's just great to see that PTX is being discussed within a "legit could be no 1 by end of week" frame.

Last time they missed out only because Taylor Swift and her mammoth album.

If there's no TS, maybe PTX will already have a no 1 charting album by that time. But no 2 behind TS is not bad :)

Thank goodness they release Pentatonix the Album this week and not in November when Adele's album drops.

Edited by debbydeb
  • Love 2

Yeah, Adele's album is guaranteed to be a behemoth. I feel sorry for anybody else hoping to make a splash who is stuck releasing near her.

The big shame is that Billboard doesn't count plays of a music video devoted to a track.

Why should it count?  For the same reason an audio-only steam counts.  If you can't rely on pure sales for a calculation anyway, then it shouldn't matter if the stream is audio or audio/video, as long as it's 100% dedicated to an OFFICIAL copy of a song (so no counting live performances, no counting alternative takes, etc. but JUST the main copies put out by the artist themselves or the label, or an official partner like VEVO).

Is the fact that the videos are pretty much free the issue? The streaming services all have some formal mechanism for paying the artist/label, don't they? But you don't even usually have to watch the commercial on a video even if there is one, and I wouldn't doubt that that's a sticking point with most labels. Maybe they don't want to incentivize behavior that picks their pockets, as they probably see it. I usually only watch the commercials if I'm making an effort to support the artist, myself.

• Love 2

Of all the Twitter Celebs (or Celebs on Twitter) supporting PTX, the most offbeat must've been the Power Rangers!

At first I thought it was a spoof account. But it's actually an official one. They've been tweeting Pentatonix for a while now today. ROSE GOLD RANGER. Cracks me up.

twitter.com/PowerRangers

Though the cynical side of me thinks that the Power Rangers are using PTX to market their own wares too. Considering PTX has more twitter follower than PRangers.

Edited by debbydeb
  • Love 3

Each song grows on you. Haven't had a chance to sit down and just enjoy the album but "Ref" goes off. Is extremely popular with the fans and judging by the number of streams on Spotify it has, should be considered as a single.

If your up for a laugh, Billboard wrote an article about the race to #1. The comment section is gold.

Edited by ptxnewsandstuff
  • Love 1

38 37 SARA BAREILLES She Used To Be Mine Epic 72 74 -2.7%

43 38 PENTATONIX Can't Sleep Love RCA 68 53 28.3%

Pentatonix look like they're about to pass up Sara Bareilles on HAC since they're still moving and she's lost momentum. Wonder if she sees that and just laughs? She did say she thought they could be competitive in the music industry.

Is the fact that the videos are pretty much free the issue? The streaming services all have some formal mechanism for paying the artist/label, don't they? But you don't even usually have to watch the commercial on a video even if there is one, and I wouldn't doubt that that's a sticking point with most labels. Maybe they don't want to incentivize behavior that picks their pockets, as they probably see it. I usually only watch the commercials if I'm making an effort to support the artist, myself.

Many of those audio streaming services aren't pay per play based, but rather ad based.  Which technically is exactly the same as YouTube.

While the music companies voluntarily put up the content for promotional purposes and not seemingly for profit, there is in theory that same per hit profit that every Youtuber makes (a good reason why PTXOfficial getting all the content rather than a Vevo channel has been a big deal for them).  In theory though, the record company should be making a much bigger fuss over not getting that income than they are (and that feeds into the whole streams vs. purchase debate, because I actually suspect the per-hit profit is greater on YouTube than most ad-based audio streaming services--although not bigger than the non-ad-based ones).

Many of those audio streaming services aren't pay per play based, but rather ad based.  Which technically is exactly the same as YouTube.

While the music companies voluntarily put up the content for promotional purposes and not seemingly for profit, there is in theory that same per hit profit that every Youtuber makes (a good reason why PTXOfficial getting all the content rather than a Vevo channel has been a big deal for them).  In theory though, the record company should be making a much bigger fuss over not getting that income than they are (and that feeds into the whole streams vs. purchase debate, because I actually suspect the per-hit profit is greater on YouTube than most ad-based audio streaming services--although not bigger than the non-ad-based ones).

If the revenue structure is the same at least some of the time, then I really do wonder what the hold up is in recognizing video hits vs. streaming. YouTube has been around longer than the streaming services, so it's not the usual reluctance to adapt to the new landscape.

YouTube is pretty opaque in it's operations, though, in my opinion. I've spent some time chasing down rabbit holes trying to figure out things like the value per view, and everybody's guessing. I've heard they take a 45% cut right off the top, but nobody who I've found talking could speak concretely to everything involved. I still wonder if the answer to why videos aren't counted like streaming is buried in those financial details somewhere.

Another Live video, singing Misbehavin'.

In Boston. 

So, these three songs CSL, Misbehavin', and Cracked are definitely going to be their staples doing their promo rounds, I'm guessing? 

The mix here is a bit off? Mitch's mic is turned up a bit louder than Kirstie's?  Or is it just the videotaper's position?

Another thing I noticed is that they've cranked up Avi's and Kevin's mics. Usually they're just "slightly above" the trio, but these past few live videos I noticed that they're cranked up a lot lot more. 

I wonder if this is a takeaway from the tour with Kelly? 

During the Heartbeat song I was particularly amazed how thin they sound compared to real band not because of they use their voice, but because the real band's mics (on the drums and guitar amps) are really turned up high. 

I mean a drum set is loud on its own, but I counted about 4 mics on the drums and I'm sure they're cranked up more than Kevin's. 

But definitely they have to mic Avi and Kevin differently to get the pop band sound.