Type keyword(s) to search

Santa Barbara - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 6/18/2023 at 4:00 AM, Shirlaine said:

Episode 26:

- I'm glad Laken stands up against her mother and Lionel orders Augusta to leave!

- Danny rehearsing with Laken is awkward. Also, the kissing sounds that Laken makes are awful

- Mason is disgusting for trying to benefit from Laken

- Good for Danny to concentrate on the electronic game (does anyone know what game it is, btw? Can't recognize it but I love retro electronic games), but bad for him to finally give up and try to approach Jade. And Jade is stupid to lead him on.

- Laken has a point in that Lionel should stay at home with his loved ones more

- Lionel "beating" Augusta and forcing himself to kiss her.. not very acceptable nowadays, I would think

- The phone call between Mason and the Lockridges is funny, otherwise the episode wasn't very interesting.

- When Joe is on the phone, he looks like he's wearing eyeliner.

Joe is going to hide in the trunk. Brilliant move. I've tried, but I don't like Joe. 

I enjoyed Laken letting Augusta have it. I'm kind of "Go Laken! GO! "

Lionel's, "I love life" speech from this episode is so much more poignant today. Rest in Peace Mr. Coster. "Life is magic. It is. I love life. I have a passion for life. It's something I've always wanted to pass on to you." I'm crying.

I'm glad she called him out on being gone so much. 

Mason: He can't be in love with her. She's a child. He's a child for that matter. I have sympathy for anyone who lives under the same roof as Augusta Lockridge. 

Laken, I also don't understand your parent's marriage. But both of Augusta and Lionel like the freedom of their marriage. They are very different people than I am.

Joe was probably wearing eyeliner. It's normal on a set. High def makes it more visible too. 

Jade and Danny. Enough said 

On 6/18/2023 at 4:00 AM, Shirlaine said:

Episode 26:

- I'm glad Laken stands up against her mother and Lionel orders Augusta to leave!

- Danny rehearsing with Laken is awkward. Also, the kissing sounds that Laken makes are awful

- Mason is disgusting for trying to benefit from Laken

- Good for Danny to concentrate on the electronic game (does anyone know what game it is, btw? Can't recognize it but I love retro electronic games), but bad for him to finally give up and try to approach Jade. And Jade is stupid to lead him on.

- Laken has a point in that Lionel should stay at home with his loved ones more

- Lionel "beating" Augusta and forcing himself to kiss her.. not very acceptable nowadays, I would think

- The phone call between Mason and the Lockridges is funny, otherwise the episode wasn't very interesting.

- When Joe is on the phone, he looks like he's wearing eyeliner

Episode 27:

- Lionel's hat is funny

- Again, Jade teases Danny although she doesn't want him

- The scene with the two patriarchs standing next to each other was probably meant to seem serious but I thought it was pretentious and comic

- I hate Lionel talking crap and not getting into the point. I would be as irritated as CC

Quotes:

Mason to Peter: Lionel, do you know him?

Peter: Just slightly

Mason: Not quite the same way you know Augusta. Let's all be grateful for that

Mason to Peter: Don't be such a boy scout

Peter: I'm not a boy scout

Mason: I second that

About 1987.. no, no, no, no, no! So much is wrong! I know the later years will have worse storylines but still, no!

- The endless did he/didn't he kill Elizabeth of Kelly and Jeffrey. I loved these two at the beginning, but first the whole revenge on CC thing caused endless fights between them and now the whole first wife case. And the indian chasing them naturally makes Kelly to believe Jeffrey wants to kill her. Argh!

- The baby stealing storyline. This seems also lasting forever, Brick is an ass towards Jane and blames her, everyone is investigating the disappearance of Johnny, Keith tries to cover up his part in the baby selling business (by forcing Paul Marshall to give a false destimony), Victoria is a nervous wreck, and Mason, of course, captured by the indian. I really, really hate Keith's character now. Yes, he often does things which are in the grey area, but this is too much.

- The endless "sign this or you'll be dead - and when you sign, you'll be dead" -game between Mason and the thugs.

- Cain ending up being a sadistic abuser; locking Eden inside the cabin, locking her inside the closet, tying her hand into the bed, forcing himself on her (well, luckily only kissing but still).. getting in rage, going to try to kill Cruz.. I mean, I liked Cain later on and especially with Andrea, but I didn't remember he was a sick bastard. I can't understand how the writers justified writing Eden wanting him to stay at the Capwell mansion helping her.

- And then there's Elena. I really can't stand her, smiling and lying constantly and throwing herself on Cruz. And in an episode I watched yesterday, Cruz kissed her! I kind of like Elena as a bad guy but I can't stand the way she is with Cruz or rather, that they wrote him to take her into his life. And I can't stand Cruz's sister Carmen. Cruz should have sent her back as she is out of control and also interferes with his love life.

There is so much wrong in the episodes around 700-750. Too much happening to everyone, problems last way too long. But guess what? Yesterday I watched the episode 753 and Eden is free from Cain, on her way to Santa Barbara. Finally! I know Cain will kidnap her etc., but NO.MORE.THAT.CABIN. 

I loved Lionel's hat.

Stiff CC in the background as the Lockridges are at it in his livingroom. Wait a minute, she cooked your pet pidgeon. "Yes, we're out of food at our house." CC "It is slightly barbaric." Understatement of the year. 

Jade and Danny trying to learn how to flirt. It amused me. Poor Danny. I do think he deserved better.

Hothead Ted, Laken you're not going home. Gee- that's going to help the adults figure out that you're mature. 

Not a fan of a lot of 87, but I still think 88 was worse.

20 hours ago, cleo said:

Yeah it's a shame about Nicholas Coster. It was nice knowing he was still here.

I agree, Cleo. I'm not sure why it hit me so hard. It was fun seeing his FB posts and reading his stories. He really seemed SO alive that it feels shocking. 

• Like 2

Episode 28:

- This version of Laken is so sweet and innocent compared to the one of 1987. Really hard to believe it's the same girl. But nice to see her still go against her parents in 1984.

- Joe's parents are always so awkward together. Marisa seems like she has constipation and John is just weird. Though in this episode, he was a bit more tolerable. He could have been a nice character if they didn't use him only for being angry at Joe.

- Rosa trying to pair Santana and Cruz.. "He looks at you in a special way". Yeah, well, soon he'll be looking Eden that way and there will be no end to that.

- Speaking of Santana, it was so hard to watch when she was lingering in front of CC. And he looks like her father or grandfather. Eww.

- As if Augusta didn't notice that there is someone under the blanket!

- A funny detail, Ted inventing the name Mr. Spielberg when checking into the motel.

- It was so nice to see Nicolas Coster. So sad to hear of his passing away.

Quotes:

Lionel after Ted and Laken run of of the Capwell Mansion: Well, Augusta, I am more and more convinced what a great relationship you have with your daughter.

Augusta: The two most powerful men in Santa Barbara and you can't even control your own children!

John Perkins: You think I enjoy turning my son in?

Well, yeah.

About 1987, I'm finally at the point where Elena's dead and Keith is gathering evidence against Cruz. I mean, at some point I watched even around 10 episodes per day to get past the Utah storyline. My problem with some characters is that after a certain storyline, they change considerably, and it's not believable. Tori was intolerable until she raped Cruz. After that, her personality changed, she hasn't been obsessed about him anymore and is at times even a likable character. Cain was a horrible man until he was shot and even though he got his memory back, he is much more likable now and doesn't try to take Eden away from Cruz anymore.

At least Mason is back and thus Julia and Tori can start fighting over his affection.

When Elena died and Cruz was arrested- that is when the show started to really decline for me.

Mason and Julia's storyline was ok, but everything else just got worse and worse. And then even Mason and Julia's storylines eventually are terrible, after they are together.

It just sinks to rock bottom for me and then doesn't start to pick up until Robert Barr shows up.

I would have to look at the summary of the storylines to see which I hated most. It would be quite the competition.

Having seen almost all the Quinn/Robert stuff-

Kelly is a massive bitch who only wants Robert bc he wanted Eden.

Kelly can't even tell it's not Robert whereas Eden knows almost right away something is wrong.

Eden is the one who tracks him down. (I'm just at this part).

I know how it ends for Robert, but my shipper heart is at least glad that it is clear imo Robert and Eden were the ones in love.

All Kelly's moaning about how she was second best- yep you were.

(edited)

After watching Santa Barbara during many years on YouTube, I left the show about one year ago because I was hating the 1988 episodes. I was in the episodes where Pamela poisons Kelly, Eden is in Paris and Mason is “dead” after the convent fire. I was not enjoying those episodes. So I decided to begin the series again, especially because someone told me that the first 200 episodes have been improved with better audios and many missing English scenes. So today I have watched the premiere!

I love the promos they have added in the first episode. It’s great to see how the series was presented. In one of the promos we can see Lloyd Buchner. I’m not familiar with his work, but it looks that he could be a great C.C. Capwell.

The premiere episode is great and huge. It has many locations and it reminds me of a primetime soap. Sure they spent a lot of money in this series premiere. And I like Peter Mark Richman as C.C. He has a presence.

Robin Wright always looks gorgeous, but I’m surprised of her bad hairstyle during the premiere. It’s not good at all. And Santana’s dress is so strange. Also I don’t understand Santana first scene in 1979. She is dressed as a maid and she’s very thin, but she’s supposed to be 8 months pregnant because Brandon was born on August 21, 1979.

But I love the premiere. It’s a great way to start the show!

Edited by Carlos Abad
Remove link
  • Like 2
13 hours ago, Shirlaine said:

Connelly, if you can catch up with us, you're more than welcome to watch and comment the show together with Bali and me. :) We're at episode 28 at the moment. 

That would be great! I’ve been reading some of your interesting comments about the episodes.

But I’m moving at a snail's pace. I only watch about 2 or 3 episodes a week. In fact, I was about 10 years watching episodes on YT and I only watched the first 950s or so in those 10 years.

But I will be commenting here and reading your comments.

• Like 2
(edited)

Episode 2 is not as good as the series premiere.

-The presentation of Santana and Augusta feels like cheating. In this episode we see that Santana wants to kill Joe with her gun and in the previous one we saw Augusta ordering her goons to kill Joe. And this killer attitude is only for these 2 episodes because Santana and Augusta are not able to kill anybody during the rest of the show. They are not killers!

-I like Marissa. I know she doesn’t do anything remarkable during the show. But the actress is natural, just the opposite of her husband John who IMO, is a terrible actor and a bad written character.

-And speaking of acting talents, I don’t like to be hard with the actors because I know some of them are reading the posts here, on Facebook, Instagram, etc. But there are at least 4 actors whose acting is not very good. In fact I think they are sometimes bad and for this reason I cannot take some of their scenes very seriously.

-I love Philip the butler and Breeze the dog, but I know they don’t last on the show. Sad! ☹

-I like Mason later, but in these episodes he’s not very likeable.

-I love Augusta’s outfit. She’s one of the best actress/characters from the beginning.

-One of the best parts of Santa Barbara are the soundtracks. The music is amazing, except for the big Santana and Rosa scene where the soundtrack is terrible. Sorry!

-The fights between John and Joe are terrible scenes. Bad acting by both actors! The actress who plays Marissa in the only one who is acting well in those scenes.

-We don’t have as many locations (which I really love). I guess Sunset Beach was the soap with the most locations because they have locations in almost every episode. Still we have Peter and Kelly on the helicopter, island and yacht. By the way, Steven Meadows and Robin Wright work well together even if we don’t have to root them as a couple. We also have the exteriors of the Lockridge home with Ted.

Edited by Carlos Abad
Remove link
On 7/4/2023 at 12:08 PM, Shirlaine said:

Episode 28:

- This version of Laken is so sweet and innocent compared to the one of 1987. Really hard to believe it's the same girl. But nice to see her still go against her parents in 1984.

- Joe's parents are always so awkward together. Marisa seems like she has constipation and John is just weird. Though in this episode, he was a bit more tolerable. He could have been a nice character if they didn't use him only for being angry at Joe.

- Rosa trying to pair Santana and Cruz.. "He looks at you in a special way". Yeah, well, soon he'll be looking Eden that way and there will be no end to that.

- Speaking of Santana, it was so hard to watch when she was lingering in front of CC. And he looks like her father or grandfather. Eww.

- As if Augusta didn't notice that there is someone under the blanket!

- A funny detail, Ted inventing the name Mr. Spielberg when checking into the motel.

- It was so nice to see Nicolas Coster. So sad to hear of his passing away.

Quotes:

Lionel after Ted and Laken run of of the Capwell Mansion: Well, Augusta, I am more and more convinced what a great relationship you have with your daughter.

Augusta: The two most powerful men in Santa Barbara and you can't even control your own children!

John Perkins: You think I enjoy turning my son in?

Well, yeah.

I hate John Perkins. 

Lionel has the quote of the day. Augusta goes have such a wonderful relationship with her daughter. Eyeroll...

Mr. Spielberg. Giggle

Lionel and Augusta arethe best part of this episode. They carry a lot of the beginning episodes though. They are both so charismatic and play well off each other.

Cruz and Santana don't feel natural together. I’m glad TPTB ditched that thought early because there's zero chemistry there.

I prefer kind Laken too. TJ ruined everything. Turned Laken into the hose beast she was in 87. Sophia and Kelly- enough said about that. But that's a different and much worse year, so let's get back to the beginning. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Carlos Abad said:

-The presentation of Santana and Augusta feels like cheating. In this episode we see that Santana wants to kill Joe with her gun and in the previous one we saw Augusta ordering her goons to kill Joe. And this killer attitude is only for these 2 episodes because Santana and Augusta are not able to kill anybody during the rest of the show. They are not killers!

-I like Marissa. I know she doesn’t do anything remarkable during the show. But the actress is natural, just the opposite of her husband John who IMO, is a terrible actor and a bad written character.

-And speaking of acting talents, I don’t like to be hard with the actors because I know some of them are reading the posts here, on Facebook, Instagram, etc. But there are at least 4 actors whose acting is not very good. In fact I think they are sometimes bad and for this reason I cannot take some of their scenes very seriously.

-I love Philip the butler and Breeze the dog, but I know they don’t last on the show. Sad! ☹

-I love Augusta’s outfit. She’s one of the best actress/characters from the beginning.

-One of the best parts of Santa Barbara are the soundtracks. The music is amazing, except for the big Santana and Rosa scene where the soundtrack is terrible. Sorry!

-The fights between John and Joe are terrible scenes. Bad acting by both actors! The actress who plays Marissa in the only one who is acting well in those scenes.

-We don’t have as many locations (which I really love). I guess Sunset Beach was the soap with the most locations because they have locations in almost every episode. Still we have Peter and Kelly on the helicopter, island and yacht. By the way, Steven Meadows and Robin Wright work well together even if we don’t have to root them as a couple. We also have the exteriors of the Lockridge home with Ted.

Mason turns into my second favorite, but you're right, at the beginning he's just a one-dimensional weasel. 

I also adore Breeze. 

Augusta is definitely the best at the beginning. Minx is also awesome. They both elevate the skills of the characters they are in scenes with.

Santana's thinness at 8 months- the culprit is most likely that terrible Soap Opera Math Syndrome. It's similar to Rapid Aging Syndrome, but is more of a wibbly wobbly time distortion where a day can last 3 weeks or 3 weeks can last a minute. 

I'm with you John was the weak link in the cast. He could have been a great character, but between the writing and the acting, just no.

• Like 1

Just watched Santa Barbara Episode 3. Maybe in a few months, I will catch you, Bali and Shirlaine… 😊

-Hot, Stormy, Breathtaking! I just love the promos. ❤

-I will get a little shallow in this episode because we have a lot of shirtless for the girls and gay fans (Ted, Danny, Warren, they all look great) and also we have a lot of girls in bikini for the heterosexual fans (Laken, Jade, Kelly). Not a big deal, but this caught my attention. They all looked great and very young. They all were babies and gorgeous!

-I really dislike John Perkins, but on the other side I really like his wife Marissa. I wish they have given her a proper storyline, but that never happened.

-We can see in this episode that they were trying something between Warren and Jade. In fact, they had lots of promotional pictures together posing as a couple. I don’t know if a story between them would have worked. But it’s sad that we will never know, because this was a story that was dismissed without trying.

-I also like the friendship between Ted and Jade. Todd and Melissa work very well together.

-Mason is acting very creepy with Santana. He seems like a stalker. Sorry, but I cannot like him here.

-One of the best scenes of this episode is the confrontation of Rosa and C. C. The ‘Who do you think you are?” scene is just amazing. Peter Mark Richman and Margarita Cordova are great in it, but sadly it leads to nothing.

-One thing I don’t know: Santana had Brandon in Acapulco before or after Channing’s murder?

-I love the song ‘If Ever You're in My Arms Again’. I don’t mind that it appears every 10 minutes.

On 7/13/2023 at 2:57 AM, Carlos Abad said:

The change from Santana and Augusta wanting to kill Joe to merely hating him is just like the later changes in characters (Cain becoming a nice guy after being a jealous psycho, Jane becoming a nice girl after being a bitch etc.). Not consistent.

I didn't know some of the SB actors read posts here. I have to keep that in mind when analyzing. Though I usually analyze the characters (= the writers)..

I love the music, too! Though at the beginning, the silent parts are more noticable than later on.

On 7/15/2023 at 3:40 AM, Carlos Abad said:

Just watched Santa Barbara Episode 3. Maybe in a few months, I will catch you, Bali and Shirlaine… 😊

-Hot, Stormy, Breathtaking! I just love the promos. ❤

-I will get a little shallow in this episode because we have a lot of shirtless for the girls and gay fans (Ted, Danny, Warren, they all look great) and also we have a lot of girls in bikini for the heterosexual fans (Laken, Jade, Kelly). Not a big deal, but this caught my attention. They all looked great and very young. They all were babies and gorgeous!

-I really dislike John Perkins, but on the other side I really like his wife Marissa. I wish they have given her a proper storyline, but that never happened.

-We can see in this episode that they were trying something between Warren and Jade. In fact, they had lots of promotional pictures together posing as a couple. I don’t know if a story between them would have worked. But it’s sad that we will never know, because this was a story that was dismissed without trying.

-I also like the friendship between Ted and Jade. Todd and Melissa work very well together.

-Mason is acting very creepy with Santana. He seems like a stalker. Sorry, but I cannot like him here.

-One of the best scenes of this episode is the confrontation of Rosa and C. C. The ‘Who do you think you are?” scene is just amazing. Peter Mark Richman and Margarita Cordova are great in it, but sadly it leads to nothing.

-One thing I don’t know: Santana had Brandon in Acapulco before or after Channing’s murder?

-I love the song ‘If Ever You're in My Arms Again’. I don’t mind that it appears every 10 minutes.

Carlos Abad, I'm sure you'll catch us! Our pace is not very fast. I haven't had a chance to watch an old episode in days, but will try to do so today, as I want to see more. 1987 isn't so great.

I wasn't disappointed that they didn't develop a relationship between Warren and Jade. Though maybe those two would have deserved each other, as they both seemed quite superficial.

Brandon's birth is hard to understand for me, too. And I didn't realize that Santana was supposed to be pregnant in the 1979 scene. It all confuses me.

I also love If Ever You're in My Arms Again but I felt it was silly sometimes when they played it all the time. It felt like a parody. I think the use of the couples' music gets better later on.

On 7/17/2023 at 9:54 AM, Shirlaine said:

The change from Santana and Augusta wanting to kill Joe to merely hating him is just like the later changes in characters (Cain becoming a nice guy after being a jealous psycho, Jane becoming a nice girl after being a bitch etc.). Not consistent.

I didn't know some of the SB actors read posts here. I have to keep that in mind when analyzing. Though I usually analyze the characters (= the writers)..

I love the music, too! Though at the beginning, the silent parts are more noticable than later on.

-I never liked Cain as a character and it felt so wrong and forced when they made him Cruz and Eden’s best friend after all he did to Eden in the cabin. Some Eden and Cain scenes are so violent that they’re really hard to watch. Then Cain was the best man of Cruz in the wedding and that role belonged to Pearl who in fact didn’t attend the wedding. But I’m not a fan of late 1987 and 1988.

-Maybe the actors don’t read the posts here or in the soap community forum. But I’m following Instagram pages, facebook fansites, facebook groups and there are some actors who write often on the posts. I have seen many comments of A Martinez, Jane Sibbett, Miranda Wilson, Kathy Shower, Suzanne Marshall, Joe Marinelli, Louise Sorel and more. One of the actors who commented the most was Nicolas Coster. And he was so funny in his comments and he had great opinions of some of her female co-stars: Harley Jane Kozak, Julie Ronnie, Robin Wright, Louise, Judith & more. My impression is that Nicolas Coster got along with most of the cast, except for one actress.

Also I have read comments of Judith, Lane and Carrington, but they are not the most active. They seem to be more private, less engaged with social media.  

Just watched episode 4. These is what I think about this ep.

-They have beautiful locations with Joe, Peter, Kelly and C.C. I love when they shoot in exteriors.

-I guess it’s true that they played that Joe and Kelly song so many times that it loses the meaning, the magic.

-I’ve read that the scene where Peter Mark Richman confronts Dane Witherspoon and his men thrown him into the water is a reshoot. They actually filmed that scene with Lloyd Bochner.

-Mason pretending he has left the house and then coming in and spying Santana in her underwear is so wrong. He’s so creepy in these episodes. I don’t like him at all.

-The scene where Augusta hits the waitress is so good. She’s one of my favorites from these earlier episodes.

-Then we have Augusta and her pussycat Breeze in La mesa. That’s another great scene. And she has chemistry with Joe. I guess Louise Sorel has chemistry with everybody. She’s is giving so much life in these earlier episodes.

-And a mystery that was never resolved. Who thrown the bomb on the Perkins house? They never addressed that subject.

-This is the first episode of Dominic and while Judith is for me the one and only Sophia I think Rosemary Forsyt is a lot better playing a man than Judith.

Episode 29:

- Ted has his shoes on when he is on the bed. I've seen this same with characters in movies and TV shows, when they are on the couch. Is this regular in the USA? Feels strange to me as when I get home, my shoes stay next to the door.

- Nice to see other angles of the Capwell Mansion than just the few that will be seen later on. I'm referring to the scene in which Kelly and Peter talk in the "lobby".

- If Joe's presumed innocence affected Kelly's feelings towards him (that is, she would like to get back together with him, she loves him), then she doesn't really care for Peter. Which we of course already guessed. And right away, when she doubts Joe again, she goes back to Peter. He must feel like a second choice at this point.

- Lionel and his love potion! Crazy!

- Why did the writers make Kelly so stupid that she believes and agrees to whatever lies Mason tells about Joe?

- It sounds so corny when Joe says "Oh Cruz". Well, he is a good-looking guy..

- Cruz eyeing the woman in the restaurant feels so wrong. And why doesn't he defend Joe when Kelly accuses him of lying?

- Ted seems like he was drunk when waking up..

- Augusta is so over dramatic and it doesn't seem believable that she would suddenly change her mind about her actions concerning the poor cooked pigeon. I like her pearl necklace, btw.

- And again, I hate John Perkins. His attitude is so sick.

- I don't like Mason using law on his own purposes (the house search in Lockridge Mansion).

- Minx sitting with a crop in her hand is the best part of this episode.

12 hours ago, Carlos Abad said:

-I never liked Cain as a character and it felt so wrong and forced when they made him Cruz and Eden’s best friend after all he did to Eden in the cabin. Some Eden and Cain scenes are so violent that they’re really hard to watch. Then Cain was the best man of Cruz in the wedding and that role belonged to Pearl who in fact didn’t attend the wedding. But I’m not a fan of late 1987 and 1988.

-Maybe the actors don’t read the posts here or in the soap community forum. But I’m following Instagram pages, facebook fansites, facebook groups and there are some actors who write often on the posts. I have seen many comments of A Martinez, Jane Sibbett, Miranda Wilson, Kathy Shower, Suzanne Marshall, Joe Marinelli, Louise Sorel and more. One of the actors who commented the most was Nicolas Coster. And he was so funny in his comments and he had great opinions of some of her female co-stars: Harley Jane Kozak, Julie Ronnie, Robin Wright, Louise, Judith & more. My impression is that Nicolas Coster got along with most of the cast, except for one actress.

Also I have read comments of Judith, Lane and Carrington, but they are not the most active. They seem to be more private, less engaged with social media.  

I've read some posts of the actors in FB (I even have some of them as my friends there - years ago I was bold and asked them :D), but it didn't occur to me that they could be here, too. Then again, I have no idea of how popular this discussion board is in the USA, I just ended up here at some point when someone linked this on a Finnish discussion board and I wanted to read the latest news on 90 Days Fiancee. :D

Episode 5:

-I like the clear lighting of the sets in these earlier episodes. Later in 1988 the sets were darker and brown and I didn’t enjoy that.

-C.C. wants a military school for poor Ted. He’s so soft and a sensitive teenager. It won’t work.

-The Capwell Enterprises scene with Peter, Kelly and Joe seems to be a real building and not a set. I think that was filmed at the offices of the studios.

-Later on Kelly becomes one of my favorites, but here I don’t like her very much, the same that happens with Mason who I like him more later on. Here Kelly is too soft, quiet, sweet and passive. But at least she has great taste in music. She puts on her radio cassette the song Time after time by Cindy Lauper. I think Lauper is one of the best singers from the 80s.

-The ending scene with Joe and Kelly finally meeting after all these years is a great way to finish this episode.

-John Perkins is again shouting and hating his son. I cannot stand him. He’s the worst!

-I also love the song from Vangelis Alpha that is present in Santana scenes.

-This is the first episode of Veronica. Here she’s a recurring character but later she will be a regular one. But it won’t last because she receives a carnation from her boss.

-This is also the first episode of Ruben Andrade but he does nothing remarkable during all his episodes.

-I think everything is working in this beginning, except the teenager’s story. I’m sorry to say this because I really like Todd Mckee and Melissa Reeves, but if they deleted all the Ted, Danny, Jade, Laken scenes the episode would be so much better.

-Santana has a spicy revenge with Mason and her chili peppers. I like her. I don’t like him at all. Lane Davies is great in the future episodes, but right now Mason is probably one of my least favorite characters after John Perkins.

On 7/21/2023 at 3:08 AM, Carlos Abad said:

Episode 5:

-I like the clear lighting of the sets in these earlier episodes. Later in 1988 the sets were darker and brown and I didn’t enjoy that.

-C.C. wants a military school for poor Ted. He’s so soft and a sensitive teenager. It won’t work.

-The Capwell Enterprises scene with Peter, Kelly and Joe seems to be a real building and not a set. I think that was filmed at the offices of the studios.

-Later on Kelly becomes one of my favorites, but here I don’t like her very much, the same that happens with Mason who I like him more later on. Here Kelly is too soft, quiet, sweet and passive. But at least she has great taste in music. She puts on her radio cassette the song Time after time by Cindy Lauper. I think Lauper is one of the best singers from the 80s.

-The ending scene with Joe and Kelly finally meeting after all these years is a great way to finish this episode.

-John Perkins is again shouting and hating his son. I cannot stand him. He’s the worst!

-I also love the song from Vangelis Alpha that is present in Santana scenes.

-This is the first episode of Veronica. Here she’s a recurring character but later she will be a regular one. But it won’t last because she receives a carnation from her boss.

-This is also the first episode of Ruben Andrade but he does nothing remarkable during all his episodes.

-I think everything is working in this beginning, except the teenager’s story. I’m sorry to say this because I really like Todd Mckee and Melissa Reeves, but if they deleted all the Ted, Danny, Jade, Laken scenes the episode would be so much better.

-Santana has a spicy revenge with Mason and her chili peppers. I like her. I don’t like him at all. Lane Davies is great in the future episodes, but right now Mason is probably one of my least favorite characters after John Perkins.

Carlos Abad, you have good observations on sets, lightning etc. And the promos, I have never really watched them before, but checked a couple of the later ones after you made me realize they exist.

Fortunately, after the whiny beginning, Kelly will get better. As will Mason. Looking forward to that.

I agree with you on the teens story. The age difference between Ted and the rest of his siblings is made notable; he has teen's problems, which don't seem so interesting to me. Not much later there will be the Christy's rape storyline, marriage with Hayley etc. They could have just started with him being gratuated or something. Maybe they wanted to get some teen viewers to watch the show and that's why they started Ted's story this way. In my opinion, his character would have been ready for some serious issues/adult life from the start.

Episode 6:
-I’m enjoying these episodes very much but I can get why some viewers are struggling with the first months of Santa Barbara.

-Messy edition sometimes. The whole episode seems to be taking place during the night but there’s a C.C. and Rosa scene about minute 18 in the Capwell set that it seems to be taking place during the day. There’s so much light and all the other scenes in the Capwell set of this episode are very dark.

-The Capwell set is too empty compared to future episodes. They need more furniture and decorative elements to make it look real.

-In this episode they are developing a love triangle between Danny, Jade and Warren, but that never happened. I guess that was the story they planned according to the first promotional photos of the show.

-The ending scene of the last episode with Joe and Kelly reunion was strong, but the scenes of this episode in the yacht are a disappointing continuation with some poor acting and poor writing.

On 7/22/2023 at 7:41 PM, Shirlaine said:

Carlos Abad, you have good observations on sets, lightning etc. And the promos, I have never really watched them before, but checked a couple of the later ones after you made me realize they exist.

Fortunately, after the whiny beginning, Kelly will get better. As will Mason. Looking forward to that.

I agree with you on the teens story. The age difference between Ted and the rest of his siblings is made notable; he has teen's problems, which don't seem so interesting to me. Not much later there will be the Christy's rape storyline, marriage with Hayley etc. They could have just started with him being gratuated or something. Maybe they wanted to get some teen viewers to watch the show and that's why they started Ted's story this way. In my opinion, his character would have been ready for some serious issues/adult life from the start.

Yes. I know about Kelly and Mason. In fact later on they became 2 of my favorite characters. And the same happened with Eden. I remember not liking her very much at first because she was so bitchy and hateful. But later on Eden becomes another of my favorites.

I’m with you about Ted. I loved the rape trial with Christy Duvall and I quite enjoy Hayley and Ted until Jake Morton appeared. I prefer the adult stories, have never been a fan of that teenager stories.

Episode 7:

-Very good episode, except for the silly stuff of Ted and Danny in Hollywood.

-Love to see Lupe Ontiveros as the nurse in Acapulco in Santana’s scene. This actress has been in many things but I will always remember her as Juanita Solis on the first season of ‘Desperate Housewives”. The scenes between mama Solis and Eva Longoria were pure gold.

-I think it’s funny C.C. likes so much Peter for Kelly and then he likes Kirk for Eden, two killers. Meanwhile he dislikes a lot Joe or Cruz for his daughter’s. I guess he’s not as smart as he thinks he is. But I really like Peter Mark Richman as C.C. Capwell.

-Fake cliffhanger in the last episode because in episode 6 Kelly told Peter “Let’s get married right now. We can go to Las Vegas an get married’. But now she wakes up in the car and she says: “Peter, I don’t want to marry you this way”. 😀

-I’m used to watch fake exteriors set in soap operas like beaches, caves, gardens, woods and many more. There are some that look more real and better than others and I do accept that. But the fake polo field green screen with C.C., Kelly and Peter is just too much. It looks so fake and cheap. It’s difficult to take those scenes seriously with those “special effects”.

On 7/17/2023 at 4:00 AM, Shirlaine said:

Carlos Abad, I'm sure you'll catch us! Our pace is not very fast. I haven't had a chance to watch an old episode in days, but will try to do so today, as I want to see more. 1987 isn't so great.

I wasn't disappointed that they didn't develop a relationship between Warren and Jade. Though maybe those two would have deserved each other, as they both seemed quite superficial.

Brandon's birth is hard to understand for me, too. And I didn't realize that Santana was supposed to be pregnant in the 1979 scene. It all confuses me.

I also love If Ever You're in My Arms Again but I felt it was silly sometimes when they played it all the time. It felt like a parody. I think the use of the couples' music gets better later on.

I'm not going through fast either. Except that I'm into 85, and I tear through that: Who is Brick, Who killed Channing, Mason and Channing... it's so much better once Bateman shows up. Even better when Jed does, but Bateman is better than his predecessor. More and more Sophia, Lionel, CC and Augusta. Yeah.

Then I think about the shock of February sweeps- which was the conclusion of the Carnation Killer- and realize that ain't got NOTHING on the next sweeps. "I KILLED MY...." (SPOILER)

One thing though- I was 14 in 84, so that's probably why the teen scenes don't bother me. Nostalgia. I remember watching these episodes at my grandma's, watching the TV in my uncle's room. Good memories from a much different time. I love Danny. Hate what the show did to him. Jade was very green at this point- but we know the actress grew. Different show, but I love Jennifer Horton. 

On 7/18/2023 at 8:23 PM, Carlos Abad said:

Just watched episode 4. These is what I think about this ep.

-And a mystery that was never resolved. Who thrown the bomb on the Perkins house? They never addressed that subject.

-This is the first episode of Dominic and while Judith is for me the one and only Sophia I think Rosemary Forsyt is a lot better playing a man than Judith.

Actually, it gets addressed in about 120 episodes. When Augusta hires the men to take the Contessa Armonti to the barn, she tells him that he will do this for her and do a better job than the explosion at the Perkins House. So- Augusta did it.

Judith is awesome, but she's so teeny that she doesn't pull off the Dominic as well. But she's still my favorite, so I don't care. 

I'm finally, thankfully, at the Gordon Thomson eps, and poor TL is out. 

Dash was a good character, they shouldn't have made him a creep. 

The voiceovers they started doing in 1990 were AWFUL. I hate them.

34 minutes ago, cleo said:

I'm finally, thankfully, at the Gordon Thomson eps, and poor TL is out. 

Dash was a good character, they shouldn't have made him a creep. 

The voiceovers they started doing in 1990 were AWFUL. I hate them.

Creep or not, I hated Dash from Day 1, before he became a rapist. So I was fine when Timothy Gibbs was axed.

And the fact that the show actually tried to keep him - with a romance with Capwell guest, Katrina, who lectured Mason about him - really turned my stomach.

• Like 1

Episode 30:

- I still don't like Santana and Cruz together. And them kissing, yuck! Fortunately, this all will change soon.

- Cruz says that he and Santana are good friends but wasn't it so that they haven't seen each other in years? An interesting definition of good friends.

- Augusta just lies about Joe without even blinking.

- Why couldn't Joe just tell Kelly the details in stead of driving her away..

- I repeat the same thing I've said ten times: Jade is so selfish and superficial!

- I still don't like Mason. He is unreasonable about the Presidental suite. Not the Mason I love.

- Ted and Laken's storyline is sweet but a little boring.

- At the beginning of the show, any character can be in any episode. Later on, after watching the first 5 minutes of an episode, you can tell which characters are "on" and which not. I like the earlier times better, as with 1986-1987, I often understand soon after the episode begins, that there won't be anything interesting in the next 40 minutes. Then I just sit it through, nothing to wait for.

- The two-way mirror seemed like a sick request. Who would have that installed and who would agree to do so without confirming it from the boss..

- It was just right for Jade that Danny didn't want to come rescue her once more.

About 1987: 

- I like Pamela. In fact, the more the others (especially CC) dislike her, the more I like her. It wasn't fair that CC and Sophia kept Mason from her and that CC even hid the letters from her. And every other character is defending his actions.

- I finally got through the Cruz trial, conviction and escape. Didn't like it at all, didn't remember much of it from my teen years. Kirk was a nice addition, but he was used so quickly and even at the end, he didn't refuse telling Keith that Cruz didn't kill Elena. No, he admitted it eagerly. A poor ending to a way too long storyline.

- I really don't like Jake. He is always whining and pressuring Hayley to do things/marry him/work with him/do this and that. Not a very attracting quality. I wish Ted and Hayley would get back together, but I know that won't happen.

- I dislike the pace of the show. It always goes like this:

1. A couple is happy

2. They have hardships, difficult times

3. They get over the hardships; get back together/married/you name it

4. From the next episode on after the phase 3, New hardships begin.

An example of this: Kelly and Jeffrey. When they finally got married, they started to argue right away. I know it's a soap and I know we have discussed this before but still.. it feels so stupid and pointless not to let the couples be happy for a while sometimes.

Instead of whining more, I'll go and watch an episode. :)

Just watched episode 8:

-This is the first episode of Renée Jones as Toni, one good friend of Kelly. I like her. I wish they have used her more.

-I realized in this beginning they sometimes wear different outfits in the same episode. For example, Kelly has 3 different outfits and 3 different hairstyles. But in the future episodes they can be with the same clothes for about 6 or 7 episodes.

-Beautiful scene between Rosa and Kelly. I wish they have used her more. Margarita Cordova is a good actress and she has good chemistry with all the Capwells. But they never gave her an important story, despite being a regular character.

-Here C.C. says that Kelly looks so much like his mother, but in future episodes Eden is the one who is a Sophia lookalike.

-Many extras in the party. I see that in this beginning they are using many extras. They spend more money than in future episodes.

-This is the first time I feel sorry for Mason when C.C. makes his toast: To the beginning of Channing’s brilliant career. That was a great scene.

-I wonder if Patricia, Mason’s date, is a prostitute or not.

-Ava Lazar in these earlier episodes looks amazing as Santana. Sadly later on they made something really weird with her hair.

-Nice to see a big star like Tim Robbins doing a small role. But in the tittle of the episode, they also highlight Janine Turner and I have no idea who she is.

-Location scenes for Joe and Dominic which is always nice. I love when they shoot outside the sets. I think those scenes were shoot outside the studios. I have seen this parking in other episodes.

-I like to see some scenes between Joe and his sister Jade. Those are good scenes and well acted by Melissa and Dane. Nothing to do with John-Joe scenes that are terrible and really bad acted by both actors.

10 hours ago, Shirlaine said:

10 hours ago, Shirlaine said:

- At the beginning of the show, any character can be in any episode. Later on, after watching the first 5 minutes of an episode, you can tell which characters are "on" and which not. I like the earlier times better, as with 1986-1987, I often understand soon after the episode begins, that there won't be anything interesting in the next 40 minutes. Then I just sit it through, nothing to wait for.

About one year ago, I watched some random episodes from the beginning and I realized about that. These first episodes have a big difference from the later episodes. Here most of the cast appears in every episode. But many of them are just only featured in one or two scenes. But later this is not the way of doing the soap because every episode only focusses in a small number of characters and there are many principal actors not appearing during many episodes. These episodes from the beginning have about 15-20 regular cast actors and later the episodes only feature about 10 actors per episode.

Edited by Carlos Abad
  • Like 1
On 7/19/2023 at 8:32 AM, Shirlaine said:

Episode 29:

- Ted has his shoes on when he is on the bed. I've seen this same with characters in movies and TV shows, when they are on the couch. Is this regular in the USA? Feels strange to me as when I get home, my shoes stay next to the door.

- Nice to see other angles of the Capwell Mansion than just the few that will be seen later on. I'm referring to the scene in which Kelly and Peter talk in the "lobby".

- If Joe's presumed innocence affected Kelly's feelings towards him (that is, she would like to get back together with him, she loves him), then she doesn't really care for Peter. Which we of course already guessed. And right away, when she doubts Joe again, she goes back to Peter. He must feel like a second choice at this point.

- Lionel and his love potion! Crazy!

- Why did the writers make Kelly so stupid that she believes and agrees to whatever lies Mason tells about Joe?

- It sounds so corny when Joe says "Oh Cruz". Well, he is a good-looking guy..

- Cruz eyeing the woman in the restaurant feels so wrong. And why doesn't he defend Joe when Kelly accuses him of lying?

- Ted seems like he was drunk when waking up..

- Augusta is so over dramatic and it doesn't seem believable that she would suddenly change her mind about her actions concerning the poor cooked pigeon. I like her pearl necklace, btw.

- And again, I hate John Perkins. His attitude is so sick.

- I don't like Mason using law on his own purposes (the house search in Lockridge Mansion).

- Minx sitting with a crop in her hand is the best part of this episode.

I've read some posts of the actors in FB (I even have some of them as my friends there - years ago I was bold and asked them :D), but it didn't occur to me that they could be here, too. Then again, I have no idea of how popular this discussion board is in the USA, I just ended up here at some point when someone linked this on a Finnish discussion board and I wanted to read the latest news on 90 Days Fiancee. :D

I think shoes in bed are mostly a TV thing because it helps protect the actor's feet on the soundstage. No one wants to step on nails. 

Lionel's love potion made me laugh. I loved that insane character. Then, Minx listening to the "love sounds" after Lionel convinces Augusta to enjoy the beneits of said potion. "Ah, yes, Lionel is back." She looked great in that nightgown. And in her pearls. Louise Sorel could wear a pillow case and look great.

Kelly, you know what your heart is trying to tell you. Listen to it.

Who DID knock Joe on the back of the head? Should we assume that was Marcello? Hmmm

On 8/1/2023 at 10:27 AM, Shirlaine said:

Episode 30:

- I still don't like Santana and Cruz together. And them kissing, yuck! Fortunately, this all will change soon.

- Cruz says that he and Santana are good friends but wasn't it so that they haven't seen each other in years? An interesting definition of good friends.

- Augusta just lies about Joe without even blinking.

- Why couldn't Joe just tell Kelly the details in stead of driving her away..

- I repeat the same thing I've said ten times: Jade is so selfish and superficial!

- I still don't like Mason. He is unreasonable about the Presidental suite. Not the Mason I love.

- Ted and Laken's storyline is sweet but a little boring.

- The two-way mirror seemed like a sick request. Who would have that installed and who would agree to do so without confirming it from the boss..

- It was just right for Jade that Danny didn't want to come rescue her once more.

About 1987: 

- I like Pamela. In fact, the more the others (especially CC) dislike her, the more I like her. It wasn't fair that CC and Sophia kept Mason from her and that CC even hid the letters from her. And every other character is defending his actions.

- I finally got through the Cruz trial, conviction and escape. Didn't like it at all, didn't remember much of it from my teen years. Kirk was a nice addition, but he was used so quickly and even at the end, he didn't refuse telling Keith that Cruz didn't kill Elena. No, he admitted it eagerly. A poor ending to a way too long storyline.

- I really don't like Jake. He is always whining and pressuring Hayley to do things/marry him/work with him/do this and that. Not a very attracting quality. I wish Ted and Hayley would get back together, but I know that won't happen.

- I dislike the pace of the show. It always goes like this:

1. A couple is happy

2. They have hardships, difficult times

3. They get over the hardships; get back together/married/you name it

4. From the next episode on after the phase 3, New hardships begin.

An example of this: Kelly and Jeffrey. When they finally got married, they started to argue right away. I know it's a soap and I know we have discussed this before but still.. it feels so stupid and pointless not to let the couples be happy for a while sometimes.

Instead of whining more, I'll go and watch an episode. :)

I'm not a fan of Cruz and Santana either. They didn't click. It feels very forced. I prefer her with Mason. Instead, we're about to be forced to witness her with CC- which is more wrong.

Still love Danny. Jade's story is really gross though- especially since she's only 17. And then there's "My name is Rusti Nayl." Yeah Jade even at 14 I realized THAT was a porn name. Shudder

Peaches and her bf for the save.

Sophia wears La Vie perfume. I look forward to her real arrival. But first I'm going to have to suffer through Burke's CC and Santana. That's worse than Rusti Nayl. 

Lionel's jealous of Joe and Augusta. Uhm- Lionel, there's a word for that. Can we say "Hypocrite?" Ah well, he's still so much fun to watch. 

I wasn't fond of Joe's pushy behavior at La Mesa. Joe, she said no- keep your hands off.

That 2 way mirror comes in very handy. But I'm surprised that they left it there. So creepy in real life, but so handy for plot progression. 

About 87- yes. I feel like the constant breaking up of couples drove the audience away. Let them be happy for at least a week. 

Not a Pamela fan. She didn't have to stay away from Mason. She chose the money. Once he was an adult, she still ignored him. I'll never forget the early episode where he's calling everywhere trying to find her. That's on her- not CC. I mean CC pulled that whole you can't see MY children thing with Sophia, and her reaction was, "uhm, yeah, they're mine too, and I'm going to see them. Deal."

She barely gave a shit about Elena either. I basically was with CC and Sophia over Pamela.

I could never figure out if she raised Elena, or gave her to Alex or what. It all seemed very murky. Maybe I ff through the explanation.

I do like Marj Dusay as an actress quite a lot though.

On 7/30/2023 at 9:42 PM, Bali said:

Actually, it gets addressed in about 120 episodes. When Augusta hires the men to take the Contessa Armonti to the barn, she tells him that he will do this for her and do a better job than the explosion at the Perkins House. So- Augusta did it.

Judith is awesome, but she's so teeny that she doesn't pull off the Dominic as well. But she's still my favorite, so I don't care. 

Hello Bali. Thanks for your response.

But after reading your message, I have checked again those scenes. It’s episode 155. Augusta called her old goons, but I think she’s not talking about the Perkins explosion at all. She’s talking about episode 1 where she used her goons who attacked Joe first in the station bathrooms and then shooting at the bus.

Here’s the episode I have checked. Watch the scene at 24:30.

I think it’s clear Augusta is talking about what happened on episode 1 and not the explosion.

For me it stills remains a mystery who throw the bomb.

Episode 31-

Yeah- Danny to the rescue and almost the end of the creepy porn storyline. Jade will take Danny to dinner and possibly eat some crow there.

Speaking of creepy, Joe is basically stalking Kelly at this point.

Ted and Laken were cute. Ted putting the celery on the table instead of flowers, "The night blooming celery, the exotic dessert flower." Ah-young love. I wish they had gotten back together. 

Mason and Veronica. Mason, "You'll be running until you catch me." I feel like he wouldn't run very fast. Then he says they're the poor side of the family. The Augusta and her strange outfit barges into his date.

Augusta: Does she DO 90 words per minute?

Mason: I wouldn't be so quick with the snipe, Augusta. After all, a secretary is a step above where you were when you married Lionel.

Whoa!

Then finally, this gem:

Lionel: Where have you been?

Augusta: Baying at the moon. I'm surprised I didn't see you there. 

I love these early episodes. The characters criss and cross with each other. They're allowed to have friendships outside the relationship TPTB were trying to force. It felt more like family then than when it becomes "Cruz is only allowed to interact with Eden. Ted is only allowed Haley."

I'm sure I watched episode 32 and had made notes of it, but I can't find them anywhere. I'll rewatch it this week if I still can't find the paper in a couple of days.

In the meanwhile, I managed to get through 1987. Some thoughts on it:

Good:

- the baby contract

- Kelly and Jeffrey in Europe, falling in love and finally getting married

- Brick and Jane together, except for when Brick was being a brick and didn't treat Jane nicely

- Cain as a good guy

- Pamela's return and her interaction with Mason and Jeffrey

- Cruz escaping the police at Kelly & Jeffrey's wedding

- Mason and Tori together at the beginning, before it became clear that he should be with Julia

Bad:

- the Utah storyline. From the beginning to the end. Hated it all.

- Eden's paralysis, I'm getting tired of the stupid excuses to keep Cruz and Eden apart

- Cruz's trial and conviction, the jail scenes

- Cain as a bad guy. So sick and psychotic. Why couldn't they make him nice from the beginning? Or at least less scary and obsessive?

- Pamela turning Kelly and Jeffrey against each other

- Lionel & Caroline together

- Hayley's rape, she and Ted divorcing, Hayley and Jake together

All in all, 1987 was much worse than 1986.

So, I'm in 1988 now. Hayley just died, Andrea came to Santa Barbara. The assassin storyline (Cruz & Eden) is going on. Scott is with Gina (won't be soon anymore) and she just got Brandon's custody. Keith is really annoying, meddling with Gina's life. Kelly is annoying, as she doesn't try to distance herself from the family feud as Jeffrey does. TJ is slimy. Sophia does crazy things. Well, at least Eden and Cruz are together. And soon will be Mason and Julia, too.

I'll go look for the notes.

Apparently, I have lost my notes on episode 31, too. Thought I commented it already. Well, based on episode 32 and Bali's comments:

- It's nice that the porn producer storyline is finally over. And the whole Hollywood thing, it's nice they'll move on from it soon.

- Joe is a too pushy when it comes to Kelly. no wonder she rejects him and is angry at him all the time.

- Mason and Veronica together doesn't feel right. It's like he is making advances and she just wants to run. Awkward to watch.

- A good point about characters interacting with each other early on and when time lapses, they start to only interact with a couple of different  characters, not everyone.

Episode 32:

- Poor Danny thinks that Jade now wants him. She shouldn't lead him on

- Joe should be careful when fighting with anyone, especially Peter. Of course Peter claims that it was Joe who attacked him. At least Kelly asks him if he provoked Joe

- Good for Veronica to follow Lionel's advice and mention his name to get rid of Mason

- Lionel and his rituals! As funny as some of these scenes are, I wish there was some advancing plot, too

- Santana and CC, like father visiting his daughter. Yuck! Would it possibly work better if Jed Allen played CC in these scenes?

- We see David Hasselhoff! What a nice scene. I loved Knight Rider as a kid and now, as an adult, I own the dvds of the show

- At least Kelly is starting to talk to Joe in a nicer tone. And a kiss at the end. Can't wait for her to dump Peter

Now to watch episode 33.

@Shirlaine  Your posts about 87/88 bring it all back.

I generally agree. Mason and Julia storylines in general were the bright spot throughout. I also sort of enjoyed Pamela's return, although I think I would have to watch it again to really judge it. 

I skipped almost everything else. 

Meantime in 1990- I know I'm the only one that likes it but man:

a) I simply cannot watch any scenes with NotKeith. It's not the actor's fault, but they had something with Justin Deas and RM, and it just falls flat with the new guy. 

b) Kelly blah blah continue to dislike her. She is SO IN LOVE WITH ROBERT AND IT'S TOTALLY NOT JUST JEALOUSY/PETTINESS BC HE LOVED EDEN FIRST that she accidentally feel in love with Quinn. Sorry that doesn't make sense. But listening to Kelly bitch and whine and moan about Robert for like 2 years only to ultimately insist Quinn is her one and only is nauseating. 

c) the actress playing Minx Lockridge is just not a very good actress. Michael tells her Cassandra is her daughter and she reacts with all the emotion of someone being told their dinner is going to be late. Or something. 

The good- I know this all UOs: well I do like GT, although LD is best. I find the story with Mason, Julia, and Cassandra keeps my interest.

5 hours ago, cleo said:

The good- I know this all UOs: well I do like GT, although LD is best. I find the story with Mason, Julia, and Cassandra keeps my interest.

I hated that Cassie never got found out in terms of helping to split M/J, though. But it was a decent storyline.

And I do like GT as Mason, too. As you said, LD will always be the first choice, but GT more than held his own and had chemistry with his scene partners, too.

She was quite the schemer, for sure. I never saw how it ended for her. 

Maybe you can answer a question for me. I'm skipping a lot of the rape stuff, but I remember in the trial it comes out Julia slept with Michael. Mason acts like he just found out 

But I thought I recalled Mason actually seeing them through the window. But he was Sonny? So Mason didn't remember?

Or I might be misremembering the whole thing.

4 hours ago, cleo said:

Maybe you can answer a question for me. I'm skipping a lot of the rape stuff, but I remember in the trial it comes out Julia slept with Michael. Mason acts like he just found out 

But I thought I recalled Mason actually seeing them through the window. But he was Sonny? So Mason didn't remember?

I remember Mason seeing Julia and Michael through the window. I'm not sure, but I think Mason even confronted Julia about this or just made a nasty remark about it - perhaps it was Sonny then. I liked Julia and Michael together as Mason/Sonny was an idiot, but I would have of course prefered her to be together with "normal" Mason. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, cleo said:

I really don't remember that tidbit well, but I do recall LD's Mason did see them. So, either a brain fart by the writers there in '90/'91 or, as you theorized, maybe there were gaps in Mason's memory because of Sonny. Sounds as logical an explanation as any. At least by that point.

I do like that GT's Mason was firmly in Julia's corner as far as the rape went. What the show did to Augusta to prop Dash insofar as doubting her own sister was disgusting, and I applaud Louise Sorel for bolting not long after. (TPTB wanted Augusta to lust after Dash, and...gross.)

• Like 1

Just watched this very recent interview of Robin Wright where she talks a little about Santa Barbara and her role as Kelly Capwell. She doesn’t say anything new, but I think it was an interesting interview of all her career. I enjoyed the talk very much. I thought maybe other fans would enjoy this interview so I post it here.

Edited by Carlos Abad
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Carlos Abad said:

Just watched this very recent interview of Robin Wright where she talks a little about Santa Barbara and her role as Kelly Capwell. She doesn’t say anything new, but I think it was an interesting interview of all her career. I enjoyed the talk very much. I thought maybe other fans would enjoy this interview so I post it here.

Thanks for sharing the interview Carlos. I thought of watching a bit of it but ended up watching it completely while eating breakfast. The things she said were interesting but I still don't like her attitude towards SB. Also, the person interviewing her used the expressions like "being stuck with Santa Barbara". I just don't like that. I try not to let it affect the way I see Kelly, as I like her character a lot.

• Like 2

I'm immersed in 1991, which I know is unpopular.

I'm on 1660. Just watched the Capwell Dinner. I am looking forward to going to the earlier eps again but it will probably be a couple months.

There is a fun FB page that is running a competition which was worse storyline. They are on quarterfinals. Wish I had seen it from the beginning.

Called Santa Barbara Blog.

• Like 1

The most random thing in 1991 is this guy Richard shows up, tells Mason and CC to just get along, sleeps with Kelly, and then he drops dead.

Like who the fuck is this guy? So random.

• LOL 1