Type keyword(s) to search

What's Cooler Than Being Cool? Frozen (2013)

jellysalmon
  • Start Topic

Frozen makes me rage, but not because I didn't like it. Like, it's a good, average Disney film, but in no way should it have blown up into a zillion dollar franchise. I guess I missed falling into the majority of those who thought it was the greatest thing ever. I actually preferred Tangled.

The only thing that really stood out in Frozen was that it focused on sisterly love and the Hans plot twist. But does that make it the most amazing thing ever? No.

I had some personal nitpicks that included the opening. I like that it explained the frozen heart myth, but that opening song had a completely different feel compared to the rest of the film which was typical Disney princess-y? My mother and I both physically cringed when Elsa sang "Let it Go." You could tell that song strains Idina's voice. Kristoff wasn't too memorable, I wasn't as fond as Olaf as everyone else is (a lot of his jokes fell flat for me, like the impaling one), the songs were a mixed bag for me--wasn't fond of "Let it Go," olaf's summer one, or Kristoff's (he sang a song right?), but I enjoyed Anna's.

I thought Disney could have done better with some of the ice graphics.

Frozen just wasn't my cup of tea apparently.

• Love 1

Consider me among those of you who found the plot holes inexcusable and baffling. I like the notion of sisterly love winning the day and girls being reminded not to jump into relationships too quickly. Other than that, this film did nothing for me.

The music was all over the place, for starters. It is definitely not one of the most coherent scores I have heard for a Disney film.

Elsa as a character is so contrived and makes no sense for the reasons you've all pointed out already. I don't believe for a second that the King and Queen allowed her to be isolated for virtually 20 years because one time she accidentally dinked her sister during playtime. What kind of crappy parents do that? And if Elsa was so frightened that her powers would ruin everything, why didn't she turn to Anna, the sister that had spent all of these years basically pleading with her through a door that they could be friends and that she could be trusted, and ask her to take over the throne because she was dealing with an illness or something?! Anna was clearly on Elsa's side and given that there was nobody else for Elsa to trust, why not turn to her sister rather than suffer through being exposed to the public and possibly villified??

And here's the thing: when her powers are revealed, does she try to explain it?  Nope - she runs and in the process endangers a whole bunch of people's lives and leaves the kingdom in the middle of a snowstorm. If she was a good enough princess to want to rule in the place of her parents and look after these people, the kingdom is still her responsibility. I don't care if she has snow powers or not. She didn't even give the people a chance to understand what she was dealing with or try to figure out how to keep the monarchy stable. She just - very much like a moody angsty teenager - ran off and said f*** it.

I know Let It Go is supposed to be this empowering song with possible LGBT undertones or something, but to me it is completely misplaced and over hyped. Elsa's snow powers never seemed to thrill her before. She always saw them as a curse, so why is she now suddenly loving them? They just cost her the kingdom and her sister and everything she's ever known! *facepalm*

And then when Anna finally shows up, and Elsa says she's so afraid she's going to hurt her that Anna has to leave, what does Elsa do? Create a giant snow monster who promptly tries to kill Anna.

I really think the only reason that this one succeeded was because it had two princesses in it and it focused on sisterly love, but it kind of crapped all over Disney's True Love formula from past films.  I found it really jarring that this movie all of a sudden did a straight up parody of how earlier Disney Princesses fell in love and then just for shock value had the prince do a complete 180 and turn out to be the villain.

Don't even get me started on the snowman character.

To those who say this is one of Disney's top three films, I thank you for the laugh. MV, but....no. nowhere close.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 2