Type keyword(s) to search

Six Chair Challenge 2K15!

Katie Coleman: Ooh, rough start. It stayed mediocre until "when there's no one else." That's not how to sing. Sloppy. All tricks. No control. That's not professional singing.

Karen Mav: Very good but for some reason I felt like she was holding back. I would have also preferred this in a lower range. It was controlled but a little screechy nonetheless.

Chloe Baker: I do not like people who change the melody. Can you sing the song as written or not? It's presumptuous. This was too messy for me.

Monica Michael: There's something the slightest bit off. I can't tell if she's wavering or just unsupported but she's not nailing the pitch. But she knows how to perform. And that's big on these shows. She can act a song. Today there was too much rasp... like vocal damage and over-rehearsing but in general, I like her voice.

Sharon Rose: Good voice. I felt like she was holding back for much of the song.

Chloe Paige: It's EASIER to sing a capella unless you're terrible and need the backing track to hide your voice. Singing with accompaniment (especially if it isn't playing the melody) is harder. That first riff wasn't gorgeous and smooth. It was very bumpy like she kept gasping it in and out. There's a good voice in there but I'm not that impressed with her and she has very annoying pop tics she keeps bringing in.

Charli Beard: I think she did a good job but it was a little beyond her. She doesn't have that depth. She rocked it out on the higher notes though. But really girl, you know this is from Dreamgirls, right?

Louisa Johnson: Oh God. What is it, white girls? Why are you so determined to sing from Dreamgirls? She was better than some of the other girls but this is FAR from the best version of this song I've ever heard. It was beyond her. The way she shreds those high notes... she's meant to be a rock singer.

Havva: INCREDIBLY average. No power at all. But she can sort of rap so I can see them wanting to make another Cher Lloyd.

Keira Weathers: Started shaky. It's one thing to be quiet/tentative. It's another to not nail the pitch. But when she brought it she had very nice control. Still not Whitney but very strong.

Kelly Mai: Strong but shouty and flat. And she forgot the words. But respect for going with a rock song.

Lucy Duffield: SO much Joss Stone. But I also feel like my judgment is off after Charli and Louisa. Part of me feels like this is a pale imitation and she's stretching to do something she can't do. And the other part thinks maybe that's how she sings? Confused.

Sophie Plumb: Nice tone. But a little off pitch? I think it might have been too low and required more power than she has. She didn't know how to perform the song at all though.

Lauren Murray: A little off. Mainly negotiating between upper/lower registers but overall great.

I would take Monica, Charli, Keira, Louisa, and Lauren. I don't know how in the hell

Chloe Paige and Havva

got in over

Charli

. They can push

Chloe

all they want. I'M NOT BUYING.

(edited)

Brodie Kelly: Too whispery and shaky for me. A good (untrained) voice somewhere in there but he needs more control.

Danny Sharples: Not great. Not terrible. I can't explain why I like him.

Tom Bleasby: Threw me off at first. He's both flat and changing the melody. Not into it. I would never listen to this mess. He needs someone to focus him. Right now it's just irritating and too much with all the damn riffs.

Jamie Eldridge: Meh. Again, so shaky. Just stay on pitch!

Papasidero: Good voice in there but again very shaky. A lot of gimmick (vocally, I mean, a lot of riffs and tricks vs. real singing). I don't know if I'm willing to sit through the nonsense to wait for him to sing his big ballad that shows us he can sing.

Jordan Luke Gage: Shut up, Simon. I'm not falling for it, editors. He was good. Better than everyone I just mentioned.

Simon Lynch: The first one I really liked today. I think he has to negotiate between the parts of his voice better. The low notes seemed too low. You can't just jump around that much between falsetto and belting, etc. It sounds messy. But he's showing signs of being special in a way the others aren't.

Nathanael Landskroner: Not bad. Needs to be cleaned up. I couldn't pinpoint what was wrong.

Mason Noise: I know I'm supposed to think he's a jerk but while a little skeezy, it was a good performance. I think it was the filming part that really killed it.

Josh Daniel: Undeniably one of the best voices among the boys. But dead eyes.

Ben Clark: Not the kind of music I'd choose to listen to. I feel like he's hiding technique and range weaknesses behind the whispering.

Seann Miley Moore: Love the song choice because it shows versatility and gives me faith in his staying power through different theme weeks. That said, the vocals need to be finessed a bit. It was mostly controlled but there were times when uncontrolled yelps/cracking happened. You can't always hide that behind "emotion" and "choices."

Ollie Marland: His voice is not aggressively irritating. Just generically irritating like most male pop singers. Not special. But probably good enough for low level heartthrob status.

Ché Chesterman: I have an anti-tenor bias. It's irritating. What makes you think I want to hear you sing in that thin, squeaky range? He's got a good voice but I didn't think it was that impressive until that super high riff towards the end. Eff off, editors. I am not here for your games.

I would 100% take Seann Miley Moore. I also liked Simon Lynch. After that, I'd take Che, Josh, and Nathaniel. I'm still not really feeling this category. I'm OK with everyone who made it through since I didn't have strong feelings and I feel like they've been focusing on the real stars the whole time anyway.

Edited by aradia22

Menn On Poinnt: The one doing the singing is OK for a dance/pop singer but the other (sunglasses) doesn't seem to contribute much. What will they do when they have to sing???

Decibellas: Was not impressed at first. Once the brunette on the end came in it really came together. That's when I felt like they were fighting. They could be something with some direction.

Alien: Why does this group think terrible reggae/rapping... by a blond girl is something every song needs? This is the best they've ever sounded though. Still a little sloppy.

Have Rumour Has It: Was not in love with the vocals from the first girl. But it was good from there. I would like a group that was more folky or R&B than Little Mix retro power vocals.

4th Power: SO over them. Why was "we all know your background" not followed by... you've done like a million singing contests? So now that they've done a Christina song I can really hear what's wrong. They're not really supporting the vocals properly. They shout out a note and let it go sloppily. All style. No substance. The one in the white shirt did have one really nice clean riff though.

Mon Amie: I feel like the girl in the hat did not get the memo on how they were dressing. It needed to be cleaned up but I do like them. And that one girl is a STAR.

The First Kings: The original song is blasphemy. Meh on the singing.

I think there might be more groups but from this round I'd take Mon Amie, Rumour Has It, and the Decibellas. I'd then take Alien and 4th Power because apparently WE HAVE TO.

More Groups

Silver Tone: They're not bad singers. They just have the worst arrangements. This is a beautiful song. It doesn't need to be dressed up like this. These choices make me dislike the group itself. If they are good I can no longer really hear it.

BEKLN: They're good singers. This was not very exciting though. Sometimes groups make it harder for everyone to shine.

Overs

Holly Johnson: Sloppy. Not awful but not original. Just a poor mimic.

Max Stone: Not awful but it's not my thing. It sounds very average to me.

Joseph McCaul: For the blue-eyed soul guys, he's one of the better ones. Maybe it's because he reminds me of Ed Sheeran.

Vicki Ann Nash: This was not the Stay I was thinking of but I liked that she made it her own. It was very solid. Professional.

Stephanie McCourt: She needs a little more control. Some of those notes sounded off. But I like her. She's the most impressive Over so far.

Kerrie-Anne Phillips: She's got a lovely voice. How she uses it aside, sometimes you just luck into having a great voice. Thankfully, she also has good control over it and some tricks up her sleeve.

Anton Stephans: I don't know if it's better or I'm just getting used to it. Still a bit... whatever the male equivalent of shrill is. That said, I would never listen to this music.

Tonatha Raihan: Not perfect but I liked it.

Zen Blythe: Zzzzzz....

Hannah Marie Kilminster: Nope. Wow, this week is just full of things I don't need in my life.

Jennifer Phillips: Terrible lipstick. FANTASTIC singing. Now, this is what we're here for.

Bupsi: Very good. Not perfect. A little rough and I'm not sure it really impressed.

Ebru: Painfully average until the screaming part. Even then, she wasn't that impressive. There were a lot of "emotional" moments that could have just been bad, uncontrolled singing.

Neneth Lyons: Dated? Yes. Perfect? No. Still like her.

From this round I would take Jennifer Phillips, Kerrie-Anne Phillips, Stephanie McCourt, Anton Stephans, Vicki Ann Nash, and Tonatha. I can also see taking Ebru and Neneth though I don't think they wowed this week.

Funny how Kilminster went from "rocking farmer chick blowing the jury away", to being totally edited out of the show when she was outed as a musical theater lead & Simon Cowell-employed backup singer... and then tonight, she totally dropped the farmer gimmick ("I've been singing for ten years, and I've done a lot of stuff, but I never had a big break"), she sung the most annoying Disney song in recent memory, she suddenly forgot to perform in sync w/ the music, and she got swiftly eliminated after getting a brief courtesy chair (as everyone could predict before this week's show even started).

Nice work, Simon, nice work.

• Love 2

Kind of mad that they didn't show at least three of the performers for the 6 chair challenge. Jasmine Leigh Morris (girls), Sherilyn (overs), and another male weren't shown. People picked up on it after seeing them backstage but never actually showing up on their telly and a representative said it was due to timing constraints. I remember Jasmine killing "Clown" by Emeli Sandé and breezing through boot camp. I would've liked to have seen her performance instead of acting like she was never on there.

I was watching the opener for Tove Lo, Erik Hassle, tonight and could not shake the feeling I was watching a terrible X Factor audition that would not end. So much of it was there. Weak, annoying (in the vein of Justin Timberlake) male tenor, blue-eyed soul (barely), forcing his terrible dance moves and attempts to be cool and sexy on us. So on the one hand it was awful but on the other hand, it continues to prove that you don't have to be that great to have a career.