Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E02: Week 1: Friday

I see the designers and producers are still strangers to subtlety.  Daniel O'Donnell gets an Irish song and green lighting with shamrocks (he danced better than I expected but this may be his peak).  Carol read the weather forecast and had a song with thunder in the title - will she get It's Raining Men next week?

No real standouts Friday, I thought.  

• Love 1

I see the designers and producers are still strangers to subtlety.  Daniel O'Donnell gets an Irish song and green lighting with shamrocks (he danced better than I expected but this may be his peak).  Carol read the weather forecast and had a song with thunder in the title - will she get It's Raining Men next week?

No real standouts Friday, I thought.  

Believe it or not, I had expected that particular song to be the one she danced to this week when I saw that opening part of her dance.

I have to say that Otile impressed me with both her choreography and her teaching.  I remember cringing in horror at the stuff her sister Motsi would come up with on the German version of SCD (and Motsi's not much better as a judge on that version, believe me!).  It's obvious that Otile got all the talent in the family.  Watching her reminded me of when Cheryl Burke first started out on DWTS.

And while yes, the Irish song and shamrocks were a bit much for Daniel (just be glad Tristan wasn't somehow involved!), I thought he was a pretty good dancer.  About the only thing I had issue with is that I thought I saw his shoulders coming up a bit at one point in the dance.  Other than that, I was impressed with his posture and his footwork.  He could be around for a while.

• Love 1

I enjoyed this 1st show. Started out liking (referencing this 1st group of dancers) Anthony and Oti, Helen and Alijas and Pasha and ... whoever he was going to be partnered with.

Still feel pretty much the same with one addition:

- Glad Anthony is better than the other boxers. Hope his shoulder heals and he can start using his other arm. I thought Otile was very creative with the work-around choreography but that will really hamper them if they have to do that for every dance. They were a joy to watch at any rate and he has a lot of energy. Loving Otile. Did not know of her before this.

- Thought Helen had a bad case of first night jitters. Happy she did as well as she did. Thought they played up the ballet feet a bit too much, but better that than "OMG! Ringah!"

- Carol is a lovely person and it seems the 1st performance jitters got the best of her too. I think she will improve. She has rhythm and the ability for perform (in a broad way) so that's good.

- Kelly (Eastenders) & the Irish crooner were OK, but not on my radar at present.

The one surprise for me was Anita - who I knew very little about (will be watching her episode of 'Who Do You Think You Are' now). I thought she did really well and, thankfully, I didn't have to cringe though the video package (meaning she didn't go on about Gleb but left that to Tess & Claudia) ... so that's encouraging. Glad that Gleb got a human being because all I remember of him is his 'Real Housewives' partner on DWTS. Enough said about that.

• Love 2