Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E03: Surprise Of The Century

I'm way behind here, was getting ready to take a "vacation" in a horribly hot and overcrowded CT city and couldn't comment when this aired. Not sure if it was my idea of a 100th episode, but the idea, of the couples at least, was kind of cool. Some were good, some were bad. Loved the cat couple, maybe because we have six right now ourselves. Loved Missy the Mold Whisperer till she started getting upset again. I'd like her to stop by my house and open all the jars I need help with. Hated the TBC thing. HATE when shows do that with no warning. It was the best epi of this season so far, though I will say I'm still dragging on the season as a whole, STILL. I think it is just me at this point, cause you'd think I'd be excited about something. Good luck to the couples, but I really have to wonder where they find some of these people.

Oh, and they need to retire the whimsy/macabre thing entirely, because not only does it swing too far to one side or the other almost always, there never seems to be a firm enough definition of who is looking for what in those specific terms. Though the carolers were cool, too.

I feel bad for the woman who said "make me look hot" then. Did she know what she was getting into? lol

Horror and hotness are not incompatible. How often do you see a vampire these days who isn't hot? The same is usually true for aliens and monsters disguising themselves as human. Witches as well. There have also been some hot zombies in iZombie.

One more random comment and I swear I'm done. With the woodsy looking couple, didn't someone do the exact same head sculpt/texture last season or the season before for something? I keep seeing that in my mind as another challenge entirely.

I know people who have had very non-traditional weddings (and my definition of "non-traditional" doesn't just mean outside of a church) so I can totally believe that there are people who want to get married in crazy makeup and costumes. I remember some couple on the Vegas bodypainting show that wanted to look like zombies for their wedding. But I do think that most of the couples just wanted to be on tv and have a good time. I mean, when else will you have the opportunity to do something like this? If I were into monsters and aliens (and sitting in a chair for four hours), I could see how going on Face Off for this challenge would be appealing.

Good to know that Missy is the mold whisperer. I guess that's reason enough for some of the contestants to want her to stick around!

I think this was my least favorite episode since Face Off began.  The basic concept of people actually getting married in ugly costumes and make up on TV struck me all wrong.  I don't really buy McKenzie as a minister either.  "Minister" usually implies a religion of some kind and that 90 second "ceremony" sure didn't involve anything even remotely religious.  It was less impressive than a Las Vegas wedding performed by an Elvis impersonator.  I couldn't take it seriously.  The only looks I liked were the ones that won.

I have no issue with people being ordained to marry couples. Why should that right be limited to religious clergy, ship captains, and justices of the peace? My best friend got ordained online so he could perform the ceremony at my wedding. It was far more personal than hiring some random person to preside over our wedding. Neither Mr. EB nor I are religious (five years of Catholic school will do that to a person) so there was no way we were getting married in a church by a priest.

• Love 3

I like Ben, too. He reminds me of a former co-worker I actually missed when I retired.

And have the challenge be to make your model a drag queen. I bet most of the contestants would really have a hard time with it. And if they absolutely have to have it be "monstery", then think of the alien spy woman that fooled around with Martin Short in "Mars Attacks!".

Funny. I remembered that as the Michael J. Fox character. Well. they're both really short! And Canadian!

Speaking of Mars Attacks, I saw an old Louis Malle film called Zazie Dans Le Metro a few years ago. There was a scene with Phillipe Noiret's wife where she walks slowly down a hallway looking and moving  exactly like this alien "woman" in Mars Attacks. I wondered if Tim Burton was a big Louis Malle fan.

• Love 1