Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E27: Army of Me

As much as I like Dallas for Alli, I don't like how he's acting with her. He's not being Mr. Cool and Cocky but I think he's overestimating her progress. I was so relieved that Jenna stepped in and told him to back off because obviously she isn't ready... her whole, "this is all happening because of you" and "I wish there was a way to thank you" stuff makes it clear that she's not valuing herself as much as she should and that boys are still her weakness. I don't think Dallas would treat her badly but I hope Jenna keeps stepping in because it's better for her to stay single and continue with therapy (if she's still doing that).

The racism plot was much needed, and that defiant hoodie move at the end was an excellent reference to Trayvon. I have to say, though, I was surprised that the mall cops were profiling black individuals, at least until Connor came in and said they had a description to go by. When it comes to bombs, they usually look at people who look Middle Eastern, so I was surprised that Alli got to go, no problem (again, until Connor explained what was going on).

The driving while black thing was more in line with what I expect from racial profiling. But holy crap, I nearly had a heart attack when Dallas told the cop to kiss his ass... I don't know how it is in Canada but in America, most black people, men in particular, are taught by their parents about how to "behave" around law enforcement, even if they'd never had a run-in before. Is Dallas biracial like his actor, Demetrius? That's the only thing I could think of to explain how indignant he was (and I say that as a biracial person myself).

The new English teacher doesn't scream shady but I think he might be... I feel like he might be using this secret club to get the participants doing things they shouldn't, like sexual stuff. Maybe he's weeding out the most vulnerable, and purposely excluded Tristan, knowing he'd be very upset, with his parents and all. When's the last time they had an inappropriate teacher plot?

At first I was completely perplexed but now I'm 100% here for Clare/Drew... I find them very refreshing. Plus, I'm over Clare/Eli and Eli himself, so I wouldn't be sad if both of them went bye-bye. It's been a while since Imogen was so mean, so between her "who cares," during Zoe's rape investigation, and this week's, "Drew would never date you," she's edging her way back to my shit list.

• Love 3
(edited)

Still can't stand Clare.  She doesn't want drew but she wants to control who he dates? Why am I not suprised.

this week's, "Drew would never date you," she's edging her way back to my shit list.

I actually loved that!  It made me laugh, hard.  I'm so sick and tired of all guys falling head over heals for Clare, cause she is not all that.

New teacher is very creepy. 

I feel like he might be using this secret club to get the participants doing things they shouldn't, like sexual stuff. Maybe he's weeding out the most vulnerable, and purposely excluded Tristan, knowing he'd be very upset, with his parents and all.

I felt the same way, especially when the meeting was in the middle of the woods.  Secret meeting status could have still been acheieved in a room on campus.  Also, his whole "call me [by my first name]" business sent up tons of red flags.  Creeper indeed.

When's the last time they had an inappropriate teacher plot?

Ms. O and Sav?  Paige and the yoga teacher?

I like the racial profiling storyline.  i don't recall it being covered in previous seasons, but I could be wrong.

Edited by luckyroll3

Oh right, Ms. Oh and Sav... although I think he was 18 at the time, wasn't he? Not that it's right but it's not quite the same as 15-16 yo Tristan and this dude. I didn't think the "call me by my first name" thing was inherently questionable, since that happens in college, but saying that in the middle of the secluded woods after a super sekrit club meeting... yeah. If that's where they're going with this, I hope they take their time rather than have this all wrapped up in three episodes, because this could be good.

I'm actually with you re: Clare... she needed to be knocked down a peg, though it's more for us since I don't think she gets that she's very lucky with guys... I just wish it weren't Imogen doing it, not after how she was in "Unbelievable". That just left a sour taste in my mouth. And as a Clew fan, I didn't like this dating site plot... I've loved their buildup (one of the rare times they've taken their time) but that plot was just silly and doesn't make her look good re: Eli, which I hate. She's going to look like the asshole in their drama/breakup, when it should be Eli; he cheated, and they should have been done then.

They also did the creepy basketball coach and Jenna's baby daddy (Who's name escapes me, but I think it was initials?)

Simpson, once again principal of the year. Does he realize that his new teacher has started a club that secretly selects students and meets in the woods? I feel like that would not be allowed.

I'm enjoying this set of episodes. I'm also glad that Tristan is getting a storyline outside of his sexuality or being a BFF to one of the girls.

Drew and Claire just need to stop.

• Love 1

Hello everone :)  New poster, after lurking over at TWoP for a while. Randomly stumbled over Degrassi 2-3 years ago and started watching all the way from season 1 and up to now. Fell off the wagon for a bit sometime in season 11 (I think), but decided to start to watch from season 13, and really enjoying it so far. The 'Unbelivable/Sad but True' episodes are perhaps the best I've seen in the entire show's history. I just wished there were 2 episodes each week instead of just one (didn't it use to be that way before?).

This week's episode was good, but not great I think. I have not yet learned to quote in here, but luckyroll3 wrote "Still can't stand Clare.  She doesn't want drew but she wants to control who he dates? Why am I not suprised.".  To be fair, Claire tried to steer Drew in the direction of -her- profile (the one without a picture), so it's pretty obvious she wants Drew to date her, and no one else (further reinforced by the previews for next week).

A bit surprised that Zoé and Maya now seems to be BFFs (well, somewhat), as they were seen in deep conversation before Tristan came into the classroom when the new teacher was introduced. But I guess it's not totally unreasonable that they both have taken down their guard after Maya supported her in the sexual assault case.

Migrating from TWoP...

A-Plot. Degrassi and racism topics usually go together like oil and water, but this time they didn't embarrass themselves too badly. With stop and frisk happening to young black men, not to mention Trayvon (didn't miss Dallas putting up his hoodie), I assume the writers felt like they had to tackle it.

B-Plot. Ugh, the teacher is so sketchy. Weren't all the people in his collective young girls? That he dropped notes into their lockers? Sketch sketch sketch. Not sure where this is headed, whether or not the teacher is into Tristan or this is misdirection and the teacher stumbled upon blurred lines. Tristan was good here, the fact that he doesn't really understand the technical aspects of performing and is just driven by passion is continued here.

C-Plot. CLEW. Poor Clare, her feelings are all over the place. She loves Eli, is crushing on Drew and it stings her that he isn't interested. I think her ego is bruised, more than anything.This can lead nowhere good.

Yeah, for a while now, actually. 13A was July-August, 13B was October-November, 13C is January-now, 13D is TBA.

When I looked that up, I looked at some S14 stuff and apparently it's going to be for the second half of this semester, not a new school year, so the seniors will still be around. Now, I'm certainly more attached to the seniors than the sophomores, but I really thought they'd be gone this season, lol. Hopefully S14 will have more focus on the sophomores (and new characters to fill in the gaps) so when the seniors leave, we don't feel like we're stuck with strangers.

B-Plot. Ugh, the teacher is so sketchy. Weren't all the people in his collective young girls? That he dropped notes into their lockers? Sketch sketch sketch.

There was at least one guy other than Tristan, a rather unfortunate-looking young man with red hair.

They also did the creepy basketball coach and Jenna's baby daddy (Who's name escapes me, but I think it was initials?)

Can't believe I forgot about KC and the peso-basketball coach!  Offering liquor and hotel room stays to underage boys.

There was at least one guy other than Tristan, a rather unfortunate-looking young man with red hair.

I also noticed the red-headed kid.  Thought for a brief second that it was Wesley, returned from the land of exiled Degrassi characters.

The Degrassi school year/seasons are way too long.  I never know what season (I thought the show was on season 25 or something) or what year the show is supposed to be in.