Type keyword(s) to search

Big Finish Torchwood Audio Stories

(edited)

Big Finish audio books all about Torchwood are coming soon.

Source: Big Finish's Torchwood announcement

So far, Jack is featured in the first, 1.1 "Conspiracy", while Ianto is in 1.2"Fall To Earth". There will initially be six stories, one team based and the others with a featured team member. The first one will be available in September, with the remaining stories being released once a month after that.

Creating this thread for discussion...

1.1 - Conspiracy: Captain Jack Harkness has always had his suspicions about the Committee. And now Wilson is also talking about the Committee. Apparently the world really is under the control of alien lizards. That’s what Wilson says. People have died, disasters have been staged, the suspicious have disappeared.

1.2 - Fall To Earth: The SkyPuncher is the first private spaceflight. But Ephraim Salt's visionary project has gone horribly wrong - the ship is falling out of the sky and there seems no way to stop it. Ianto Jones thought the flight would be sabotaged. The only problem is... he's on board.

Edited by indeed

Thank for that Indeed , very excited.

Six stories is an interesting number, original cast and Rhys or Andy etc ? Do we know the format ? Reading the article i wasn't sure if it meant a play like The Deadline where everyone did their own part or more of a book were the main actor will do most of the voices. Either way Ianto woo hoo LOL

Thanks for that Indeed , it's sounds like a very interesting concept. One story but different POV's.,

I'm staying with excited , Ianto is alive, get to hear GDL and what could be worse than MD LOL

LOL! Be careful what you wish for. It is Torchwood after all.

Very true, but it doesn't seem like the same writers as MD LOL Plus what more could they do to Ianto, he has already died stupidly , been made redundant except when he is a ghost.

I'm sure there will be the norm, Playboy Broody Jack (git), Gwen the wonderful ( double git) and what is it the others do, save the day and nobody notices LOL but still very excited

I'm sure there will be the norm, Playboy Broody Jack (git), Gwen the wonderful ( double git) and what is it the others do, save the day and nobody notices LOL but still very excited

True which is probably why I'll wait until there's a sense of the final product. I am surprised/ pleased that these are set pre the end of s2 so we theoretically get the old gang back although I haven't heard anything about Owen returning and there's apparently only one audio that involves the whole team which seems a bit of a shame.

there's apparently only one audio that involves the whole team which seems a bit of a shame.

Yes, it does. Unless it's going to set the groundwork for more team adventures in the future, then maybe the one team episode only deal won't be so bad. Haven't heard anything about Tosh or Owen yet--I'm assuming they'll get their own. Rhys and Andy could always pop up in Gwen's, but maybe she could go it alone for once.

I keep an eye out for the ensemble -- I've seen a lot of Gwen (Broadchurch) and Owen (movies, franchises, "Forever"*).  I follow Kai's twitter feed and he's fairly active on it.  Barrowman is working in US comic book franchises (Arrow, still?)  Every now and then I hear GDL still lives and breaths.  But, not a peep out of Tosh.

Forgive me for not remembering actors' versus characters' names.

*"Forever" is a show with famous Welshman, Ioan Griffudd and it has a HUGE fanbase.  The show was cancelled but the fans are utterly rabid.  I follow old Torchwood fanfic writers I liked on Tumblr and a couple of them are so into Forever, they border on spammers.  Even though it's cancelled, they still do pages and pages of photo stills.  I've never seen the show in my life.  Anyway, Owen was THE villain on it -- I think he was a villain.  I don't know -- but he had some effect on Ioan's immortality?  He posed some sort of threat in the narrative. 

I'm confused -- what does this mean?  And who is that guy in the middle of the picture between Gwen and Jack?  Isn't he dead?  

What is Torchwood 4?  Are they the guys who led the phantom 4th Season (which was pretty fun, actually.)  

Gosh, I think I've forgotten a lot about the fandom......

Nice review!!!  Especially about Barrowman -- AWWW.

I might listen to it when I have the time.  If I don't right now, I'll get them in whatever format they sell them.  I'm not a fan of CD technology but downloads for cost will be fine for me.

Because he wrote such amazingly beautiful fan fiction about Torchwood, I care about Copperbadge's opinions.  I read on his Tumblr the other day that, although he is aware of the radio shows, he won't be listening to them.  He has left the fandom permanently.  

http://copperbadge.tumblr.com/post/129273510941/sam-did-you-hear-about-the-torchwood-audio

NB:  His departure from fandom happened with Ianto's death on Jul 9, 2009.  Whether that is a coincidence or not remains to be seen.

Edited by Captanne

Hmm.  Wonderful to see a nice review.  I'm so skeptical I can barely help myself.

Is this canon?  Has RTD incorporated it by fiat into the mix the way he did the other radio plays?

Do we know?

(edited)

I don't know if the BF series is canon, but it supposedly has his blessing or whatever. Story takes places in series 1 time so I'm assuming nothing is really affected anyway.

This "Committee" thread

better lead to Ianto's eventual resurrection. Then maybe I'll spend money and not just read reviews/articles. ;)

Edited by indeed

indeed  Great minds think alike.

As the great philosopher Scotty of Star Trek once said to Kirk, "Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me."

ETA for font tag

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 1

Toshiko finally gets an episode! "Zone 10" (2.2) is out now.

Andy and Suzie (surprise) are getting their own episodes, too. (Andy gets one before poor ol' "King of the Weevils" Owen?! :( )

Hmm.  I might tune into that one.

Do we know, yet, if these are canon or fanon?

Because this? 

Whenever Ianto Jones has a tough day at work, he has somewhere he can hide. And, for Ianto Jones, it's always a tough day at work.

His girlfriend is dead, his colleagues don't trust him, and his boss... his boss is something else. With no friends in the world, and his life in danger every day, is it any wonder that at night, Ianto Jones goes to the pub?

Ianto's local becomes somewhere where he feels safe. Safe from his demons, safe from his life, safe from Torchwood. Until one evening, Captain Jack Harkness walks into a bar....

Sounds like bad fan fiction.

ETA:  I sound bitter, don't I?  Heh.  Yeah.  But, really, this is the blurb of the plot line they chose to use?  I'm sure it'll be great but, to be honest, I'm not easily fooled twice.  

Edited by Captanne

When I first read this I wondered if this was a belated April Fools because when have tptb ever given Jack/Ianto fans want they really want, but yep it's true. I wonder if they'll answer the age old question of 'before Cyberwoman or after' lol.

Sounds like bad fan fiction.

Heh! I had the same thought. It's pretty much the plot of almost every mediocre (and not so mediocre) post Cyberwoman Jack and Ianto fanfic origin story including Ianto drowns his sorrows at his local pub until Jack steps in (usually with his magical healing cock. Will there be magical healing cock in this? I hope so. (Well I don't, but I kinda do).

Edited by Swansong

30 August 2017

Categories: Big Finish Bargains, Torchwood, Big Finish - Exclusives, General Big Finish News

An old flame of Captain Jack’s returns to Torchwood, as Captain John – played by James Marsters (Buffy) – returns to wreak havoc in The Death of Captain Jack.

We last saw Captain John and James Marsters in the finale of Series Two of Torchwood, originally broadcast in April 2008. With Torchwood continuing at Big Finish with Series 5 – Aliens Among Us, it seemed only right to bring Captain John back for the ride for The Death of Captain Jack.

Captain Jack is finally dying, and it's time for his oldest friend to visit his deathbed. King John has come to tell him a story. The story of the life he should have had.

It's the story of Alexander the Great, sinking ships, falling empires, robot dinosaurs, and alien invasions. It's a story of love, royal weddings, murder, mass murder, genocide, and very tight trousers.

It's the story of the life of Captain John and it's the story of Torchwood. Be careful what you wish for.

"The Death of Captain Jack is just naughty!” producer James Goss tells us. “It was a joy to get James Marsters back in, and, once again, Captain John romps through Torchwood like a demented clown. David Llewellyn has given us a peek into a world we really shouldn't see – one where John steals Jack's timeline and creates havoc.

“If you've ever wondered what Torchwood would be like with Captain John at the helm, wonder no more. Nothing from the world of Torchwood emerges unspoiled – and that includes Queen Victoria, and Ianto's dress sense!"

This story will be released when the Torchwood monthly range kicks off in March 2018 – available for pre-order now for £9.99 on CD or £7.99 on download. Or you can save with a bundle – order Torchwood monthly stories 19–24 for £45 on download or £50 on CD. All CD orders unlock a digital download which works with the Big Finish app.