Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E38: You Forgot Your Floaties

Sorry for the delay . . . I didn't know that Cartoon Network would be airing Adventure Time episodes all week, let alone the final episodes of the season.

Given this episode and the following ep ("Be Sweet"), I sense we'll be getting unusual team-ups amongst Ooo's finest. This episode: Magic Man and his new apprentice, Betty! Basically, MM tries to trick Betty in a scheme to get the power of his late Martian brother, Glob. I think. Just so you know he's still a jackass, MM snares Finn and Jake, turning them into porridge and an egg, respectively. We get some weird imagery into MM's past, and we see Betty's theory about how Ooo's magic users are consumed with madness and sadness. . . because, duh, her ex is Ice King. In the end, MM winds up being a "normy," Betty seems to gain MM's power and insanity, and Finn becomes a baked bread boy after pouring himself into flour and getting shoved into an oven. Or something.

Can somebody fill in the gaps I've not-so-helpfully provided?

I'm not sure Betty necessarily got MM's insanity, or necessarily his brand of insanity. She's probably headed down the road to insane, since they seemed to state it's guaranteed with magic. (Although isn't Jake a magic dog with his shapeshifting, so is Jake insane? Just ssuddenly thought of that.) Anyway, point being: she might not be gone yet. It took Simon a while for the magic to turn him. I do however think that bit at the end with Betty was some amount of an ah-ha! moment. She's got some insider knowledge now.

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole MM's wife died from whatever. On the one hand, I appreciated that they didn't really seem to be trying to make him sympathetic by mentioning it. I was bracing myself for some forcefed cliche tortured bullshit, but luckily, it didn't land that way to me. It explained without demanding I reconsider thinking him an asshole, which I still do.

I'm not sure what Magic Man was planning, since he's insane, but I think Betty had plans of her own. I wonder what Simon was saying in that vision that drove her mad with power? Power Word: Insanity?

Finn became a doughboy (heh) after trying to save Betty but oozing thru a crack in the floor and falling into Betty's batter. I laughed at the reappearance of the small manticore, who was "mentally damaged" by his ordeal and pleaded for help.