Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: 400 Sq Ft Vacation Home

This close-knit family is looking for a tiny home to do some extended stay vacationing in. They've asked John and Zack to build them a high-tech tiny home that they can monitor from afar to check weather conditions in the long winter months. Zack's challenge will be building a tiny space that meets all their high tech needs, stores some of their winter gear, and brings the family closer together.

I want this house. In fact, every single house from now on has to be glam and full of gadgets.

• Love 1

I turned this one off before the build even started, because I found the couple annoying. If the "tiny house" movement is about simplifying and downsizing your life, adding a high-tech vacation home is kind of the opposite of all that, even if it is "tiny."

Plus, well, John.

The ones who want a tiny vacation home are more reasonable, to me.

They're willing to go tiny for a short time, and but aren't forcing their family to lived a cramped lifestyle.

• Love 3

I turned this one off before the build even started,

What a pity. This was my fave build of the entire series, mostly because of the fantastic tech the budget allowed. This is what the show should be: aspirational and slick, full of ideas, and people with eight fingers.

• Love 1
(edited)

The ones who want a tiny vacation home are more reasonable, to me. They're willing to go tiny for a short time, and but aren't forcing their family to lived a cramped lifestyle.

I'll concede that a 400-sq ft home that you'll use a few weeks a year has a smaller footprint than a 2000-sq ft one, but this show has set as its somewhat sanctimonious and self-righteous premise that people are joining the "tiny house nation" because they are embracing a more simplistic, downsized lifestyle. A high-tech second home doesn't indicate "simplistic" or "downsized."

Edited by SmithW6079

I agree that the show is sanctimonious, and that's why I like the people on it who don't buy into that.

But they're kind of destroying the premise then. I'd much prefer a show that highlighted tiny homes -- in whatever iteration -- without the granola-loving, hippie crap. :-)

I agree that the show is sanctimonious, and that's why I like the people on it who don't buy into that.

Oh my I had no idea that there was a name for this (I had to look it up to know what it means) the people that act like they are morally superior because of said lifestyle drives me nuts! We had our reasons for downsizing into a tiny house and none of those makes our choices better than anyone else for however they live.

• Love 1

A lot of the show is about retaining upper class social markers while fundamentally mimicking the behavior of the poor. Participants park their trailers on the lawn but use solar power and reclaimed siding. I could live without the neomonastic downsizing and conversion parables. For John, handing over keys is the same as a faith-based baptism.

• Love 2

A lot of the show is about retaining upper class social markers while fundamentally mimicking the behavior of the poor. Participants park their trailers on the lawn but use solar power and reclaimed siding. I could live without the neomonastic downsizing and conversion parables. For John, handing over keys is the same as a faith-based baptism.

I had to look up some of them big wurds, but yes, good analysis.