Type keyword(s) to search

Jem and the Holograms Comic Book

Chip
  • Start Topic

I am. It's absolutely incredible! The first issue felt a bit rushed, and Jerrica seemed to come to figure out what to do way too quickly, but otherwise it's been really well written and the art is gorgeous. The writers clearly did their research on the original while still doing their own present-day take on it. Kelly Thompson actually manages to make Jerrica likeable to me! (Loved loved loved loved the cartoon but always felt like Jerrica was too much of a Type A pain in the butt for me to be able to relate to or admire her.) The characters are getting nicely fleshed out, love seeing their take on the Starlight Girls, and LOVE the Misfits so far too.

I was also really glad to hear that Thompson and Campbell have been keeping Christy Marx in the loop with what they are doing as well. I'd love to know what Marx thinks of it, but she hasn't said anything negative at least!

• Love 1

I haven't read  the comic (though it's nice to see the writers are actually paying attention to the original characterization) but clicking the link brought me o the character illustrations - they all look rather pudgy compared to  the way they looked in the cartoon.   Not flattering.

They're all different sizes and shapes which is actually quite nice. Shana is pear shaped, Kimber is tall and thin, Pizazz is tallest, Stormer is round. I like it. They're not all Barbie shaped and it differentiates them all by more than just what their hair color is.

• Love 2

Wow had know idea there was a comic book about this.

I remember the show vaguely and it was really unique in it's time.   I may pick up a copy for nostalgia's sake, just to see what they did with the property.   I wonder if they will use my favorite fame-hungry scorpions "The Stingers."   They made trouble for both The Holograms and The Misfits.

(edited)

Yes, it's being published by IDW. The Stingers have not yet been introduced as characters, but Stingers posters show up in the background, which is likely foreshadowing their eventual arrival. It's only 4 or so issues in so far so they're too busy still setting up the rivalry between JATH and the Misfits.

From further upthread--love the art on this. The old cartoons were doll commercials, so everyone were exactly the same size and shape with different heads--just like the dolls themselves. The comic is obligated to neither sell nor represent toys, so the characters look more like real (drawn) people. I think the character designs largely suit the characters very well. The only design I have some issue with is Stormer; the original Stormer design concept had her look very oldskool Hollywood glammy, with the beauty mark and big red lips, etc. and lots of smooth lines and fringe in her fashion. I wish they had kept more of the spirit of that in mind for her redesign. They did keep the beauty mark at least, but I feel like Sophie Campbell makes her look a little too rough and punky in her styling with lots of torn stuff and unplucked eyebrows (not right for the particular look I think that should be right for her; I don't pluck but I'm not going for a glammy look either), and the shaved zigzag...thing going on with her hair in the last issue (I personally find that a rather hideous look for her). I also don't like her weak chin. But I do LOVE her curves.  Hoping maybe her look will evolve a little more as the story progresses.

Edited by DeathQuaker
  • Love 1

#5 was the best issue yet, I think. A lot happened but didn't feel rushed. Pizzazz rage-sulking in her PJs was adorable, and the "fight" at the end was awesome.

Pretty sure the dude who bumped in Aja is

Craig Phillips!

So that's another source of tension about to show up, and I'm delighted.

The comic seems to be selling really well so why is it so hard to find conversations on the net? This is one of the few forums I can find.