Type keyword(s) to search

Tom Nuttall: Bicycle Enthusiast

Wilowy

Poor Tom, indeed.  There's really no blame for Will's accident, and plenty to go around for those who seek to place it.  It could be argued that in addition to bicycle Tom, drunken Steve who failed to hoist Will the first time around, Hostetler and N***** General who tried to nut a full grown stud in the stables. a crazed stallion who ran towards the busy thoroughfare instead of the back alleys out of town, and even the parents relinquishing Will to a genial barkeep who associates with less than stellar citizens could all share in the blame.  But it was a freak accident, nothing more.  The only one guaranteed NOT to feel any sense of blame or responsibility, regardless of head injury or drunken stupor, is Steve, as always.

• Love 1

Steve the Drunk. The most horribly violently and openly racist character in Deadwood. A seasoned watcher, I still would recoil at some of his utterances. The fact that he ended up with the N***** General as his caregiver (who actually came to CARE about him, you can't convince me otherwise) was one of the most touching ironies in the show's run. 

How dubious to be remembered mostly for the definitive line "I did not fuck that horse!"

• Love 2

Steve has a chip on his shoulder the size of the Montana Territories.  He is almost as adept at ranting and railing at the unfairness of his life as my mother is of hers.  It's exhausting, even when you know it is coming from a place of deep seated pain and betrayal (or just a shitty personality).

N***** General as caretaker is as lovely a little gem as I found in Jane Canary as caretaker.  They  shared a bottle and farts that don't stink, but also an innate decency and kindness beneath their blustering exteriors that touched something within me.  

That's what I love so much - even the minor, "lowly" characters have such rich ... character.  From Richardson to Wu, and in every muddy wagon rut in between, we are introduced to human beings who inspire our curiosity and caring. 

Honestly, I don't wax so poetically or pathetically about an other show.

• Love 1