Type keyword(s) to search

Past Winners and Other Alums: Where Do Their Careers Go Post-Show?

Kromm

The place to talk about if being on this show (even winning) makes these folks more employable.

Most of the winners (when we see them show up) seem to get slipped into some Hunger Games film as an assistant, but beyond that? I guess it will take looking at what projects they did and if they're big budget enough that they might not have gotten them without Face Off.

• Love 1
(edited)

Conor McCullagh (Winner Season 1) - Has worked on three Hunger Games films. Aside from that? Since winning it's been a bunch of shorts and what looks like a small independent film this year. He worked on a Direct-to-Video sequel to "Big Momma's House" (Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son) in early 2011, which was technically after his season was filmed (but WHILE it was airing), so he might have gotten that job as a reward somehow for winning.

Rayce Bird (Winner Season 2) - At least according to IMDB, hasn't done squat in the industry since his season (other than being the Art director on a short film in 2013).

Edited by Kromm

Most of the winners (when we see them show up) seem to get slipped into some Hunger Games film as an assistant, but beyond that? I guess it will take looking at what projects they did and if they're big budget enough that they might not have gotten them without Face Off.

Good point. This is a rather narrow profession, and I have no clue - none! - how much money they make, how much down time they experience between gigs, etc. As the show goes lower and lower into the experience pool, this question seems increasingly relevant. And is the show encouraging young viewers and/or hobbyists to go into a profession in which there are very few jobs? Or is there a lot more work than we know?

Or is there a lot more work than we know?

Not based upon what's made it's way to IMDB about their careers.

Nicole Chilelli (Winner Season 3) - Some shorts and 4 episodes of the TV show, Smosh.

Anthony Kosar (Winner Season 4) - Some shorts before Face Off, but according to IMDB nothing since.

I find this very disturbing. Granted, the show is entertaining, but I know of another situation in which a profession has generated more interest among young people than there are jobs. The students follow their interest in college, then find that they have to do something else entirely different. I hope the show isn't creating false hopes among the younger viewers.

This goes way beyond my other concern, that SyFy is going to burn through all the plausible contestants and be stuck with no show.

Well, as Rayce's career path shows art design is actually a pretty versatile skill to have. Though that doesn't apply to quite a few contestants this season, who rather than having a generalized art, technical or make up education they focused towards FX and make up instead learned specifically how to create creature FX and apply movie make up, which is a really narrow niche of education.

I think that there are not a lot of jobs in high profile movies/tv/shows/projects like The Hunger Games, Star Wars, etc. There will always be student films and smaller, less prestigious jobs that need makeup artists but those will obviously not pay as well (if it all).

I like that Ve hires contestants whose work she likes to work with her on her currernt projects. Not only does it give them experience on a big movie set but it also allows them to network and meet other people who might hire them later for other projects.

I think there just aren't as many job opportunities as there are makeup artists. I think that versatility helps so if you aren't only locked into monsters (like if you can do beauty makeup), there are more job possibilities since you can also do fairies, goddesses, etc and not just the scary creepy stuff.

I think that there are not a lot of jobs in high profile movies/tv/shows/projects like The Hunger Games, Star Wars, etc. There will always be student films and smaller, less prestigious jobs that need makeup artists but those will obviously not pay as well (if it all).

I like that Ve hires contestants whose work she likes to work with her on her currernt projects. Not only does it give them experience on a big movie set but it also allows them to network and meet other people who might hire them later for other projects.

I think there just aren't as many job opportunities as there are makeup artists. I think that versatility helps so if you aren't only locked into monsters (like if you can do beauty makeup), there are more job possibilities since you can also do fairies, goddesses, etc and not just the scary creepy stuff.

It's nice that Ve does that, but it's questionable if it's helping these people beyond the actual cash made from it.  At least if we go by their credits.

You're point about being able to do beauty makeup as well is a good one, and it may be why Laura (who's post show career I hadn't detailed) seems to be doing a tiny bit better than the others (although she's also scary good as well, so there's that as well).

Laura Tyler, credited as Laura Dandridge (Runner Up Season 3, Winner Season 5) - some low budget film "Legend of the Red Reaper" (before Season 5 was shot, but after her runner up-dom in Season 3), a vague "TV" project called "Zombie Clean-Up" (also before Season 5 was shot, but after her runner up-dom in Season 3) , One Hunger Games film, in 2015 she's credited as having two films coming out, H8RZ, a thriller with Jeremy Sisto  and Cary Elwes (but they're the only recognizable names), and The 33 (stated as in "post-production", so her work is done), a drama about the Chilean mining disaster, with people like Gabriel Byrne, James Brolin, Lou Diamond Phillips and Antonio Banderas--in other words no current A-listers but a fairly solid cast.  It looks like Jennifer Lopez was supposed to star in it and backed out, so it's definitely a studio film.

I've always thought that Ve is the one you want to impress on this show.  She's the one that can get some of the bigger jobs.

Anthony used his winnings to start up a makeup school (which former winner Dina attended) which is actually pretty smart and would be more solid than trying to make it as an artist.

I agree.  I think must of the bread-and-butter work would be doing injuries like on all the cop shows out there. I seem to recall they did an injury challenge as a foundation challenge in the first season, but they haven't done any since.

The only other contestant I remember was Nix who ended up on that show Naked Vegas.

Well, I have spent too much time on the internet trying to find out if it is the same person, but I think that Alana is one of the commentators on FYI's Style Unzipped.  

Style Unzipped is a fun look at the origins of some fashion items and the "cast" comments on what they think of those items and how to wear them. The one who I think is Alana is not on of the more prominent commentators and is not listed in any cast list I could find. Here is a picture from Style Unzipped -

BRANDHD2398_FYI_STYU_165279_TVE_000_2398

Is this Alana?