Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Boys of Summer

In the season premiere, four boys from West Baltimore play out their summer vacation in the streets.  Meanwhile, Marlo has solved the problem that baffled Stringer Bell: how to maintain discipline--read: murders--without getting police attention.

The times in between S1 => S2 and S2 => S3 felt very non-specific to me.  In contrast, S4 seems to take place fairly shortly after S3.  What a difference to start in the summertime, instead of the bleakness of S2 on the docks.

McNulty!  How nice that our glimpse of Bea in the S3 finale was not just a throwaway.

Carcetti was mildly amusing for the first time.

While I was watching, the scenes about the automatic nail gun in the hardware store, and outside in the parking lot, were pretty entertaining.  Watching the two executioners from Marlo's crew later, though, practically made me feel like I was watching a horror movie.  What a shift in tone: very creepy and dark.  For all the criminality and violence shown on this show, the horror of those scenes took me completely by surprise.

I am unexpectedly giddy that Prez is back.  

• Love 1

What was it she said to Partlow about the nailgun?  Something like "the guy sold it to me said Cadillac but he meant Lexus."   I was getting good at interpreting the street talk by this point, but she had me back at square one.  Love that character.

You got it, that's what she said.

Although I don't think that sentence is street talk. I think the issue is the Baltimore accent. I think most of the folks on the show speak standard English with a few variations. Some of the kids, Ms Donnelly, and Mellow probably have the strongest accents. Those were the people o struggled with on first watch.

• Love 1

And again, the cold open for the first episode of a season encapsulates the season's theme: in this case, education. What is being said by the teacher is not what the student takes in: the employee and Snoop had totally different ideas about what the nailgun was for, and what he said was not what she received. But she did say after she left the store, "I been schooled!"

• Love 3

This was another episode with an event (Lex killing Fruit) that didn't seem to mean much until later in the season.  Reverberations, my gosh.

I caught something that I missed before -- Dookie telling the boys to come look, he exploded some bugs.  Did I hear that right?  Dookie doesn't seem the animal abuser type, even insects.  

the employee and Snoop had totally different ideas about what the nailgun was for, and what he said was not what she received. But she did say after she left the store, "I been schooled!"

I'm a few episodes further along, and I still hadn't realized Snoop was a girl.  For whatever reason, I am far more horrified than thinking about those two grown women who were helping Omar last season, and certainly than about the corner boys. 

Dookie telling the boys to come look, he exploded some bugs.

I think that's what I heard, as well.

I'm a few episodes further along, and I still hadn't realized Snoop was a girl.

A relative of my husband's is staying with us for awhile, and as part of my effort to get her the hell out of my house, I've been hogging the TV and watching The Wire.  (Good TV is totally not her thing.  She likes to watch Dr. Phil and comment on people's life choices.) 

Anyway, we watched this episode yesterday and she thought Namond was a girl. 

I can understand thinking Snoop is female.  But Namond? 

• Love 1

Snoop is definitely a girl. She's played by Felicia Pearson (the character's full name is actually Felicia "Snoop" Pearson) and is addressed as "girl" and referred to as "she" throughout her run on the show (though it took me a few episodes to figure it out, too!). The actress is actually a former "corner kid" herself, and I believe "Snoop" is/was her actual street name. Fun fact: She's a friend of Michael K. Williams (who played Omar) and landed the role of Snoop after visiting the studio on MKW's invitation.

This is why The Wire is so damn good at capturing the essence of Baltimore's many communities. Rather than attempt to re-create them in a studio somewhere by rough description, they used as much authentic local talent as they could. So much respect.

• Love 2

This is why The Wire is so damn good at capturing the essence of Baltimore's many communities. Rather than attempt to re-create them in a studio somewhere by rough description, they used as much authentic local talent as they could. So much respect.

Yep.  As I was watching with the houseguest yesterday -- and me trying to be annoying as possible -- I made a point of telling her every time we saw a real politician, cop, or former thug.  I don't think she believed me.