Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Reformation

Rinaldo

I like Mouzone.  The man had standards. 

This episode and the previous episode had me really confused the first time watching.  All the machinations -- who's doing what to who, the Avon-Marlo-Omar war, the different motivations, everyone playing everyone else.  This was definitely a "You can't tell the players without a program" kind of plot. 

I felt bad for Carver when Bunny told him he wasn't good police because he didn't know the street, he had no connections.  It was a good speech but it felt inserted and clumsy, like something Simon wanted to get across to the audience but didn't know where to put it, and there was only one episode left.   

I felt bad for Carver when Bunny told him he wasn't good police because he didn't know the street, he had no connections.  It was a good speech but it felt inserted and clumsy.

I agree this speech was especially clumsy.  On the other hand, I noticed Carver's beautiful, beautiful eyes for the first time.

I wonder if it was intended at the outset to keep all these characters around (Carver, Herc, ... so many).  If not, they're doing a great job of finding ways to give them continuing stories.

• Love 1

I wonder if it was intended at the outset to keep all these characters around (Carver, Herc, ... so many).  If not, they're doing a great job of finding ways to give them continuing stories.

I read somewhere that Bubbles wasn't intended as a long-term character.  He's who I thought of when Bunny was talking to Carver.  Look how much value Kima got from her relationship with Bubs, starting with the hat trick in season one.

Something that bugged me about the Barksdale organization was that even after Avon was shot, while staking out the place where Devonne was to meet Marlo, they didn't think (or care) that Devonne might be in danger.  They had to know.  Stringer gets a bodyguard, and nobody thinks to tell Devonne that Marlo might be coming after her.  It's another reminder that as compelling as these characters are, they're cold and ruthless. 

• Love 1

I agree this speech [Colvin to Carver] was especially clumsy.  

I guess I see what you're saying, and even agree to an extent. It could have been integrated better. (Though Carver's "Wars. End." in Season 1 remains the clunkiest of all to me.) Still, the sense of it worked for me: we'll see Carver and Herc, formerly inseparable partners, are now en route to different career paths and choices. But Carver, well-intentioned as he may be, is going only partway so far: a true "good pi-lice" goes beyond putting in his hours and doing what he's told, and builds true relationships with his community. We'll see this idea develop for him. (I don't think it's a spoiler to say that.)

• Love 2

Just finished watching this episode. Wow.

Two things that stood out for me in a jam-packed, excellent episode:

• The relationship between Stringer and Avon. I just loved the scene in which the two are talking--Stringer is trying to talk Avon into being "reasonable," and then Avon informs Stringer of the murder that just occurred. I think I was holding my breath through much of the scene. What amazing performances from these two actors. Did anyone from the Emmys even *watch* this show? How could the Emmy voters have overlooked Idris Elba and Wood Harris?

• I actually shouted (so much so that my dog was concerned) when I saw Rawls at the end of that bar. I was not expecting that. I love to be surprised by TV shows, because so many of them are just so predictable, and this show delivers on the surprises.

I worry about these characters. I still have a couple of episodes from Season 3 and all of Seasons 4 and 5 to go, but I truly am worried for Bunny. And Bubs. And Omar.

And poor Prez.

• Love 2

Oh thank goodness - I knew if I came here poked around, someone would be able to confirm that I was not imagining things when I saw Rawls at the end of that bar.  (Even though I am like, 11 years late to the party on this show.)

• Love 3