Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Back Burners

Rinaldo

We see abut of Stringer and Donette. Was he really into this chick? She always seemed too "around the way girl" for Stringer. My mind pictured him with someone more refined, more in tune with his desire to uplift out of the hood life. Donette seemed like she would just be cool with hair and nail money. Not at all the type of woman he could take to dinner with the suits he was trying to rub elbows with.

Now don't get me wrong, if a Stringer Bell decided to shine some light on my life to keep me quiet about his illicit drug activities I would surely take it.

• Love 5

I would like to think that Mr. Bell would only apprise you of his legitimate business dealings and maybe want to discuss what he learned in his business class that evening.

The Squeak/Bernard situation getting the burner phones is a perfect illustration of the advice my aul' man gave me some 30 or so years ago about having your wife/girlfriend/SO in your crime game.

His advice was DON'T.

Stringer mostly was with Donette to distract her and make sure she'd not go talking to the cops.

• Love 1

My mind pictured him with someone more refined, more in tune with his desire to uplift out of the hood life. Donette seemed like she would just be cool with hair and nail money. Not at all the type of woman he could take to dinner with the suits he was trying to rub elbows with.

My thoughts as well.  D'Angelo was sick of her, and I don't think it was just because he felt trapped with her.  I don't see her as ever being a willing member of the D'Angelo-Stringer-Brother Mouzone Book Club.

In 5 or 10 years, when the Corleone family was completely legitimate, I imagine Stringer would have sought out his own Kay

• Love 3

Some random thoughts:

It was pretty unsettling to see Hamsterdam through the dust and the night.  Both through Bubs' eyes and Carver's.  Surely, the director must have thought about bombed out cities.  I loved Carver for a moment, sticking up for the runners.  What's a tout?  Are those the street-criers for the drugs?  

The guy who plays Bubs is a pretty good actor.  (One issue I have with the credits is that I still don't know who plays who)

I was glad to see Kima's home life addressed.  That was a loose end.

Good to see Lester and Prez back in business, although their diagram of the phone network pushed disbelief pretty hard.  

For a minute, I thought that kid from Season 1 was dead on the ground, and I was pretty sad.  

All these episodes later, and I'm still amazed at the way these people talk - or, more to the point, how the writers write the dialogue.  I'm getting used to it, but it's such a ... whole world unto itself.  Very consistent, and still mind-blowing.

Edited by ToxicUnicorn

The guy who plays Bubs is a pretty good actor.  (One issue I have with the credits is that I still don't know who plays who)

An extraordinarily good actor, I'd say (and he has a lot more to come). And I had the same problem on first viewing, except for the handful of actors I knew already: Dominic West (from A Midsummer Night's Dream), Peter Gerety and Callie Thorne (from Homicide), Lance Reddick (from Fringe), Frankie Faison (from sitcoms), Seth Gilliam (from Oz), and Jim True-Frost (from Steppenwolf Theatre). I was turning to the Wikipedia pages a lot. This actor (Bubbs) is Andre Royo.

• Love 2

Hi Rinaldo!  Thanks.  I haven't seen a single one of those other works!

Seems like a great deal happened in this episode, all of a sudden.  I could've used some of that in previous episodes.

I am not finding Stringer or Avon very interesting.  I miss D'Angelo and Wallace terribly.

This episode gave me a bit of respect for Avon, recognizing the courage Cutty showed when Cutty said "It ain't in me", followed by Avon affirming to Slim Charles, "He a man."  The look on Cutty's face -- the man was scared, and who wouldn't be?  Avon trusting Cutty not to snitch, just letting him leave -- Avon knows people, way better than Stringer does. 

I think the only actor I recognized from other shows was Callie Thorne -- wasn't she on Rescue Me?  Or maybe that came later. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I knew Callie Thorne from Homicide. I now see that she had recurring roles on ER and Prison Break, and yes -- she was a regular on Rescue Me. (I love that the full form of her first name is Calliope.)

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 1