Type keyword(s) to search

Scarecrow & Mrs. King in the Media: The things you learn!

Okay, so the title sucks; I suck at witty titles, so if anyone can come up with a witty one, please do so!

Anyhoo, I was a teen when this show was on the air, and it's only recently, when I wanted to see if there were any interviews with Bruce or Kate about this show online, now that things like this are so easy to find. All I remember were the short snippets on ET, where Kate said she was really happy with the show, and that she and Bruce had really good chemistry, which was then followed up by that hilarious scene from "The ACME Kid" or whatever it was called with Soliel Moon Frye's brother:

Amanda: Throws beer in Lee's face- "You STINK!"  And frankly Ricky Jo, sex with you was ALWAYS a major disappointment." Shoves mug in his hand and trounces off.

But I found this recently and it..shocked me and frankly.

I read about the disgruntlement from Bruce Boxlietner of all people! toward Kate when she got sick and not everyone knew.   I was looking for any articles or interviews with him about working with Kate...and color me SHOCKED that this one interview, that came out shortly after the show was cancelled, of how he felt the chemistry just wasn't there, and I'm like, did he watch the show? I saw it still was. Of course he didn't know about her cancer.

And then he blames their chemistry for his failed marriage, one of 11 years, which ended when the show did, and that there were rumors and stories in the tabloids that he and Kate were having an affair because of their chemistry. Which was another WTF moment for me.

I devoured everything and anything I could about that show when it ran, and I never, ever read anything about rumors or anything yelling out in the tabloids about any affair between them. Yeah that one article I read was lame and I have to admit, I lost a little respect for Bruce when I read that.

Ironically, he and Kate are still friends and still keep in touch. Which he said at the show's 25th anniversary event, confusing me more. And according to his posts on his FaceBook page.  But it's been over 30 years, so who knows? I just remember that when the series finale aired, he was in DC and our local affiliate was interviewing him and that's when I learned he was married and had been for 11 years, and he seemed happy. But then again, I was 17 and believed him, heh.

I do remember a few "Hmm, is something going on between them?" stories at the time, based on the salacious tale of them ... going horseback riding together.  I paid less attention to media coverage of this show than some others of the time, so I'm sure there was more, but I certainly don't remember any sustained tabloid rumor mill such that one could blame the demise of their marriage on it with a straight face.

He and Kitty Holcomb had a nice, long run and I think two kids, so maybe he was just crabby that day.  Or misquoted.  Who knows? 

I know that for a long time after the show ended, Bruce continued to send Kate flowers every year (maybe for some anniversary associated with the show, but I think it was for her birthday) and that may continue today.  I haven't had the sense they stayed in close contact with each other, but that they keep up with each other, and certainly that they both look back on each other and their time working together fondly.

I also remember reading that he and Beverly Garland had been friends prior to the show, based on something they did together quite a while before, and that in fact she was something of a mentor to him professionally.

And, of course, I remember reading that the hilarious insult to Ricky Joe was an ad-lib by Kate.

Oh, and wasn't there some cute television interview of the two of them together?

Jeez, the stuff that litters my brain.

• Love 1

In trying to find the exact quote from Amanda's amnesia episode, I came across this interview with Gary Collins (who appeared as a villain on Charlie's Angels during Kate's tenure there) on Hour Magazine.

Interesting how she wanted to do a half hour show, and was waiting for it, when the script for this show came along.  I wonder, if she hadn't gotten sick, whether we'd have seen her in a sitcom, because that's what she wanted to do post-Scarecrow.

Actually, she did do a sit com, it just didn't go so well. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094419/

Baby Boom could have worked but I know for me, I was conscious that juggling the life in the big city wasn't supposed to work so it all felt pointless.  I don't remember if the show was actually funny or not.  I do remember thinking she looked great. 

D'OH! Right! Wasn't this based off of Diane Keaton's movie of the same name? And yes, she looked FANTASTIC. There's another interview she did the previous year with Joan Rivers on her birthday; which is very funny. Kate is so likeable, funny. So now I'm going side-eye any "information" that she is the least liked in the industry, as some maroon has in her imdb page.

Lemme see if I can find it. Quality isn't that great; reminded me of the tracking issues during my VCR days!

Too bad Joan didn't ask her about the show!