Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E09: The Septum Deviation

The episode I saw tonight made it clear that Sheldon's parents were still married when his father died and it did sound like Sheldon was pretty young when it happened something that is also brought up the in episode where Sheldon bonds with Bernadette's father.  They talk then about Sheldon's dad not being around when Sheldon was still pretty young - teenage years I think for sure, I'm pretty sure about 14. 

Tonight it was the episode where Mary comes to visit on her way to the Christian cruise.  Sheldon talks about how they needed to buy a double wide coffin because his mother's fried chicken was so good.  Later Mary advises Penny that the way to a man's heart is through cheese and mushroom soup "he'll die at 50 but his love will be pure" -- which I took to mean whoever wrote this episode didn't get around to reading the episodes where Sheldon talks about his dad's infidelity and they way his parents fought!

Edited by CherryAmes

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/s217/the-big-bang-theory/recaps/a533223/the-big-bang-theory-recap-sheldons-drunk-thanksgiving-adventure.html#~oWS8vD87nNtrFW

From the link:

To make matters worse for Howard, Sheldon shares a rare moment of heartfelt sadness when revealing his father died when he was 14. As far as I can tell, this piece of precise information has not been uttered by Sheldon before.

Touched by this, Mike offers to drink to Sheldon's father, as Sheldon would never have been able to have a beer with dad

• Love 3
Sheldon shares a rare moment of heartfelt sadness when revealing his father died when he was 14.

That has to be a retcon. And because it's bugging me, I tracked it down on YouTube.

Dr. Gabelhauser introduces himself, flatters Mrs. Cooper that she is too young to have a son Sheldon's age. She says, abruptly, "His father's dead."

Dr. Gabelhauser: "Recently?"

Mrs. Cooper: "Long enough."

A woman like Mrs. Cooper would no doubt observe a "traditional" mourning period, so Mr. Cooper's death was probably just within those limits. I don't think she would have said that had he been dead for 15 years.

That has to be a retcon. And because it's bugging me, I tracked it down on YouTube.

Dr. Gabelhauser introduces himself, flatters Mrs. Cooper that she is too young to have a son Sheldon's age. She says, abruptly, "His father's dead."

Dr. Gabelhauser: "Recently?"

Mrs. Cooper: "Long enough."

A woman like Mrs. Cooper would no doubt observe a "traditional" mourning period, so Mr. Cooper's death was probably just within those limits. I don't think she would have said that had he been dead for 15 years.

She wants to get it on with Dr. Gabelhauser. She does not want him thinking about how long she's been single or how old she is. She says "long enough" by way of telling him to drop it. If the death were that recent, she'd be sad, not impatient.

It's not a retcon--I think I remember Sheldon saying something about it before.

• Love 3