Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Earth Skills

I liked it better than the pilot. Awkward CGI aside (the panther was strangely mutated, I guess), the plot moved a bit and we got some nice scenes on the Ark.

Princess Clarke can be annoying, but I kind of like her - still don't know why. I usually hate such girls on tv. Wells tried to be usefull (and failed partially). It's kind of sad how Clarke ignores him - something terrible must have happened between them before her confinement. I wonder if they'll go with the book explanation.

Belamy keeps being a big jerk and his sister Octavia is the go-to annoying girl of the series. For someone kept under the floor for so many years, she's really... open to people? Open in the not so sensible way.

So, Finn's got a girlfriend up there and she's a mechanic. he also has a penchant for giving his love-interests weirdly cute metal origami.

I was wondering: the idea behind keeping the underage offendes in confinement was that the state was against executing children. So once they grew up to become legaly adults, they were airlocked. First: it's awfully cruel (knowing exactly how many days you have left). And secondly, Raven can now consider herself one lucky girl - if the 100 were not sent down to Earth, her boyfriend would have a few months of life (which transcribes to 3-4 visits from her).

Anyhow, I'm all in for some Lord of the Flies atmosphere. I used to like The Tribe very much.

Wells tried to be usefull (and failed partially). It's kind of sad how Clarke ignores him - something terrible must have happened between them before her confinement. I wonder if they'll go with the book explanation.

I was wondering: the idea behind keeping the underage offendes in confinement was that the state was against executing children. So once they grew up to become legaly adults, they were airlocked. First: it's awfully cruel...

Didn't the show say that Clarke was mad at Wells because he turned her father (and her) in for treason or insurrection or whatever? I could have been hallucinating, though! What is the book explanation?

For the other issue, I thought I remembered hearing that, once the kids turned 18, their cases were re-evaluated. They might be air locked, or might be allowed to walk. Again, I may have made that up :)

Didn't the show say that Clarke was mad at Wells because he turned her father (and her) in for treason or insurrection or whatever? I could have been hallucinating, though! What is the book explanation?

Yes, that was in the book. I must have missed that in the show - that should teach me not to do ironing while watching!

The re-evaluation was also in the book, but I got the idea it was just a pro-forma statement, as the air is to precious to waste if a person does not contribute to the society... Either way, Clarke was pretty scared when the soldiers came for her and she was sure she's going to be airlocked even with the re-evaluation. Some "crimes" (and I still have the impression that some=all) can get you only killed.

I'm trying not to think too hard about all the stuff that doesn't make sense, because the show is entertaining, but it's hard. I don't quite get why they'd float the culled instead of sending them to Earth. Is there only one gigantic ship they plan to use if/when they decide Earth is safe? Are there no ships and they plan to magically build some before the air runs out?

Why would they just send a bunch of kids? Why not get a few volunteers and give them some equipment to test things and a way to communicate with the mothership? After all, they're fixing to kill 200 people anyway, surely at least some would rather take their chances on Earth....

Perhaps the kids are a peace offering to the evil mutant monkey people on the ground. At least we have a teenage love triangle storyline to look forward to.

• Love 1

Perhaps the kids are a peace offering to the evil mutant monkey people on the ground. At least we have a teenage love triangle storyline to look forward to.

I would say  a quadrangle or a pentagram ;)

Let's see: Wells likes Clarke, Clarke used to like Wells, Finn likes Clarke, Clarke starts to like Finn, Raven likes Finn, Finn used to date Raven, Olivia likes anyone with a certain bodypart...

Whew.

I don't quite get why they'd float the culled instead of sending them to Earth. Is there only one gigantic ship they plan to use if/when they decide Earth is safe? Are there no ships and they plan to magically build some before the air runs out?

I'd say the Ark may have some special way of getting its inhabitants down to Earth safely, but perhaps it's their last resort. And they cannot waste it on each and every culprit. The've beta-tested the drop on the 100, and now the're waiting impatiently for the results.

I just hope they won't atempt to take the whole station down, because those components were certainly not made to enter the atmosphere. Even in 2200 the physics works the same, I guess.

Oh, anyone else thinking about the possibility of food poisoning after the panther dinner? ;)

Plus, how big was that panther anyway? Would 100 (ok, 97) people actually get enough or just something to sink their into into and actually make their hunger worse?

What about their ability to digest meat? I'm sensing a really bad case of Montezuma's Revenge in the future for the kids...