Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E20: Mars Landing

I'm kinda not upset at all about the outcome of this episode. I'm glad they didn't end on an "I hate you" note because I really like the friendships all these people have way more than I care about their romantic entanglements. 

Schmidt telling Cece to text her new beau "one of those yellow men" and the following faces he made were the highlight of my night. Well, that and the fact that Jess was holding Ferguson's cat carrier therefore acknowledging his existence and survival. 

First, as I watched this episode I was thinking the whole time, Tara completely called it last week!

I liked Alan Sepinwall's review of the episode especially when he says "And if the creative team's heart isn't in a story, you don't want them continuing with that story just because you like the idea of a particular couple, or want to prove a philosophical point about romantic storylines on sitcoms."

I also think there is a lot of drama/ funny to mine from Jess and Nick having to share a room when they aren't together anymore. 

I loved Winston getting so serious about helping the new neighbors move.  I cracked up when he picked up that huge piece of furniture when the building was seemingly evacuated. And was it just me not noticing, but every time we saw him did he have one additional piece of professional moving gear on him.  

Also more hangover hanging out! 

• Love 1
Also more hangover hanging out!

That was so great. Such a good example of hangovers. I really liked Nick hiding under the covers. I've done that. I've watched people do that. It's so accurate. I also really liked "I am not interested in the birthday party" or whatever Nick said when Jess said they had to get up. 

• Love 2

I thought I'd be more disappointed when Nick and Jess inevitably broke up, but this was handled so well and made so much sense that I was completely fine with it. The show may not be as much fun this year as it was last year, but it does have some damn fine writers.

• Love 2

I've been bingewatching to catch up with the last season and a half, and I was surprised at the nuance and sweetness of this episode. While I've found S3 problematic on occasion in terms of characterization, I thought this was extremely realistic and well-done. I also loved that part of the reason they broke up was that Jess and Nick simply wanted to preserve the specialness of their friendship, and that was such a unique and grownup decision on the part of the writers. I was grateful it wasn't mean or cliched and really appreciated the real-life nuances applied to a relationship between two people crazy about each other who simply couldn't see a road to making it all work in the long-term.