Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: You Win or You Die

• Start Topic

Episode Synopsis:

Explaining that the future of the Lannisters is at stake, Tywin presses Jaime to “be the man you were meant to be” as they prepare for battle. Ned confronts Cersei about the secrets that killed Jon Arryn. With the fate of the missing Benjen very much on his mind, Jon takes his Night’s Watch vows, though not with the assignment he coveted. After Ser Jorah saves Daenerys from treachery, an enraged Drogo vows to lead the Dothraki where they’ve never gone before. An injured Robert takes pains to ensure an orderly transition at King’s Landing.

Reminder: This is for discussion of the TV show only, no book talk allowed - including saying "but it's different in the books". Any spoiler from outside the books (i.e. previews) should be in spoiler tags.

OMG

So much happened in this episode, and quite frankly, I am not feeling good about the fate of Ned Stark at the moment.  Ugh.

The whole butchering scene was quite frankly gross.  I had to really think for a minute who this new character was, finally realizing it was the patriarch of the Lannisters, and ahhh, finally someone Jaime is scared (probably the wrong word) of.  Jaime isn't really the big bad dude, it's his dad, ok, I get it.  The whole scene was chilling. 

Ned calling out Cersei, and the calm that she handled it, that was quite unsettling.  Drogo avenging his wife by making a vow to war.  Snow taking his vow for Night Watch.  Lots of floating vows all around, all gearing up for something huge. 

And the end with Littlefinger and the knife to the throat, ugh.  Does not bode well for Ned.  I have a very bad feeling about this.

I actually missed the imp.  He is usually comic relief.

And Arya.  Missed her learning from Syrio.

Drogo avenging his wife by making a vow to war.

I felt like the show wanted me to cheer Drogo on during this speech and I just can't bring myself to want to root for the guy and his khalasar to bring a load of rape and destruction over to Westeros. It's been awhile since I've seen the scene but he basically made it seem like he wanted to burn the castles and houses to the ground and rape any women they might come across just so that Dany can have her father's "iron chair".

In general I'm actually supportive of Dany's desire to want to return to Westeros and claim the throne but I don't like the idea of the Dothraki just wreaking havoc wherever they go in order to make it happen. I realize that she isn't going to be able to conquer with sunshine and roses but there's something off putting to me about the Dothraki essentially bringing destruction and horror with them wherever they go with seemingly no thought or care for actually wanting to take over so that they can make Westeros a better place in some way. The vibe the show gives of the Dothraki is that they would burn down a castle as opposed to taking it over and continuing to allow it to function and be useful to people. They don't sound like they want to put anything better in place, they don't sound like they want to make Westeros better, they don't seem like they want to take over or spread their culture or anything, etc. In general it's hard for me to want to root for Drogo to be successful but it's especially difficult when I consider how many characters in Westeros that I care about and wouldn't necessarily want to see as victims of a Dothraki sacking. 

Plus I was grossed out that Dany was looking all turned on while Drogo's talking about how he's going to rape all of these women in Westeros. Ugh, definitely not my favorite Dany moment.

Yes, but the Lannisters are pretty unique in mainland Westeros. Any side commts crimes during war, but we haven't seen anyone else encouraged to do these things by their supreme commander, the way Tywin used the Mountain to terrorize the riverlands. And at least Tywin knows how to rule in Westeros and isn't purely interested in horror and destruction.

I was never a fan of Dany/Drogo, but I can understand why that scene was a high-point for her after her near-death with the wine-seller. It was a big demonstration of Drogo's attachment to her and how far they'd since the painful early days, and after years at being at the mercy of Viserys with no one to protect her, I can appreciate why she might feel empowered by threats of violence against other people.

• Love 2