Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: The Wolf And The Lion

• Start Topic

Episode Synopsis:

Incensed over news of Daenerys’ alliance with the Dothraki, Robert orders a preemptive strike on the Targaryens that drives a wedge in his relationship with Ned. A captive Tyrion helps Catelyn, but receives a cold reception at the Eyrie from her sister, Jon Arryn’s widow Lysa. Sansa is charmed by the dashing Ser Loras Tyrell, a.k.a. the Knight of Flowers. Arya overhears a plot against her father.

Reminder: There is open air book talk here. If you are just watching the TV show and you don't want to stumble into a potential spoiler you should leave now. Book Talk assumes you have read all the books to date. Any information from unpublished books, such as preview chapters should be in spoiler tags.

Considering the addition to Jaime's story line in season 4 where he agrees to give up his place in the Kingsguard for Tyrion I think it's worth noticing the similarities to what he does in this episode, which is cannon with the book. He kills Ned's men and causes him harm to get him to return Tyrion and then goes of and joins his father in the field. Neither is by order from Robert or does in any way benefit the royal family. He just does it out of loyalty for his Lannister family.

So even though he had some newfound will to be knightly I don't see it as out of character for him to forsake his duty in order to save Tyrion from being executed for a crime he did not commit.

• Love 1

This is the episode in which Jaime abandons his post in the Kingsguard, thereby showing as much dedication to duty as when Jamie murdered Robert's predecessor, Aerys.

I'd say even less, since he (rightly or not) believes killing Aerys was a matter of necessity, which certainly isn't true of any of his actions here. And this stellar job performance gets him a promotion! No wonder Ser Barry was pissed by his replacement.

I remember watching S1 for the first time I could never recognize Yoren whenever he popped up. In my mind, he was indistinguishable from Bronn back then,