Type keyword(s) to search

Esther Mikaelson: Eternally Devoted Mother

Interesting article about Esther.

"Esther doesn't give a crap about Cami," Narducci said. "But when it comes to her family, Esther's motives really are sympathetic. She wants to do right by her family and her children. She will pursue that drive in a very ruthless and deadly way."

I'm not sure exactly what Esther is trying to accomplish. I mean, even if she did succeed in making her kids mortal again, they still wouldn't be any less royally screwed up people. The Original Vampires are mostly all mass murdering psychopaths not because they're immortal bloodlust filled vampires but because they always were, making them mortal won't stop that.

That aside, I can't see exactly why they would agree to Esther's offer anyway. What do they really gain? They lose their immortality and ultimate speed, strength, and resilience, and for what? To get rid of their bloodlust and enhanced emotions, both of which has been shown to be something very controllable? To have their own kids, something they could adopt to get? I honestly don't see much of a downside on their end, maybe for the unfortunate enough to cross their path but the Originals seem to have it made.

Edited by immortalfrieza

I'm not sure exactly what Esther is trying to accomplish. I mean, even if she did succeed in making her kids mortal again, they still wouldn't be any less royally screwed up people. The Original Vampires are mostly all mass murdering psychopaths not because they're immortal bloodlust filled vampires but because they always were, making them mortal won't stop that.

That aside, I can't see exactly why they would agree to Esther's offer anyway. What do they really gain? They lose their immortality and ultimate speed, strength, and resilience, and for what? To get rid of their bloodlust and enhanced emotions, both of which has been shown to be something very controllable? To have their own kids, something they could adopt to get? I honestly don't see much of a downside on their end, maybe for the unfortunate enough to cross their path but the Originals seem to have it made.

True that it's not really rational to not want to be the Biggest Baddest on the planet, but on the other hand, there's an emotional side to it that I think that Esther is counting on and that she's right to count on, which is that she's also offering them an escape from the loneliness and disconnection (from other people and from the natural world/life) that comes from being a vampire. I think that's also what Ansel was referring to when he told Klaus that he'd be a better father if he were a werewolf.

I think that for each of the Originals, the goals closest to each of their hearts would actually be better served by giving up their vampirism, because those personal goals all require them to be more connected to other people and/or to the world/life/nature:  Finn wants to do right by his mother, Elijah wants to feel "pure," Klaus wants a loving family, Kol wants to practice witchcraft, and Rebekah wants her humanity. It's just that they'd also have to take the risk of not being as "strong" in order to get those goals -- which imo is where Mikael and his bullshit about "strength" comes in. 

I don't think what she's offering is necessarily a bad deal *altogether* (except for the "vessels," lol), but it requires a lot of trust on the Originals' part (in the world in general, not just in Esther) to take, and I don't know that they're all capable of that amount of trust. That's also why I've assumed that Klaus would be the hardest sell, with Elijah pretty close behind him. (Klaus because he's the most fearful, and Elijah because he's the most suspicious).

Also, I think Esther has been far too hamfisted and callous when trying to present her deal to her kids, which, while plausible in terms of her character imo, is self-defeating. That she basically told Klaus that even if he agreed to her deal he'd still be rejected from their family was *such* a misstep on her part (though again, plausible imo), since it lost her virtually all the leverage she still had with him at that point, that I lost faith then and there that she would be capable of selling them on or even strong-arming them into the deal. I can still see scenarios where she'd be able to convince each of them, though.