Type keyword(s) to search

What's In A Name?

• Start Topic

Shall we have a place to snark on and consider the names of people, places and things in the Walking Dead world? They all got their names for a reason......what was it?

Exhibit .....B. Bob was obviously named for the fate he would have. Bob-B-Q, Ka-Bob, he even bobbed a bit in the water. Also Bob. Your everyday guy. etc....

Woodbury. Buried wood is just compost. And now, so is Woodbury as both a place and a population.

Gareth Gareth is how you say Garish if you are Igor.

I won't take them all. Feel free to state your case with poetic justice.

Dammit I always have to edit!

Edited by Seawolff
  • Love 1

Daryl (or D.A.R.Y.L) is a Data-Analysing Robot Youth Lifeform that escaped from a secret military experiment to produce a super solider in 1985.  This will all be revealed when Daryl is killed and doesn't turn into a zombie.  Then the robots will take over the Earth..

I don't think that is what you intended ;)

• Love 3

Daryl (or D.A.R.Y.L) is a Data-Analysing Robot Youth Lifeform that escaped from a secret military experiment to produce a super solider in 1985.  This will all be revealed when Daryl is killed and doesn't turn into a zombie.  Then the robots will take over the Earth..

I don't think that is what you intended ;)

Excellent. It's all good. It's as good of a meaning for Daryl as anyone could come up with I bet!

And his last name, if it's not obvious enough just from looking at him, is "Grimes."

And he pronounces his son's name "Coral."

Coral grows rapidly and provides a place for other things to live. Such as hats.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 7
(edited)

The woman who was repeatedly accused of wanting to get away from "woman's work" because she was capable of hanging with the guys could be thought of as androgynous. Andrea, anyone?

And what about Grimes....grim and grimey, always griping about what is crime?

As to Carl, pronounced Coral or corral, as in no one can corral him. Or the sound of him when he gets his first car but has turned before he can turn the key.

Edited by Seawolff
  • Love 2
(edited)

Judith. OMGoodness!

Kinda significant for our large exiled group that has nonetheless dominated over other groups:

Random stuff found googling:

"From St. Jude Thaddeus, nephew of Mary and Joseph, brother of St. James the Lesser. Annointed Christ's body after his death. Patron saint of lost or impossible causes,hospitals and hospital wokers and forgotten causes. Name means sweetness or gentleness of character."

"The name Jude comes from the Hebrew Yehudah (Judah), which means "praised" (this is covered in the entry on Judah). It was the largest tribe of Israel, and became the ruling tribe. The word Jew comes from the Hebrew Yehudi, which means Judahite. The term was first used to describe the exiled Hebrews in Babylon collectively, as most of them were descendents of the tribe of Judah (with some Benjamites and Levites mixed in). The other ten tribes (most of Benjamin and his nine brothers) made up the northern kingdom of Israel after it divided between Jeroboam and Rehoboam. They have never returned to Israel. So "Jew" actually refers to the descendents of Judah. Judah was a very common name in Israel, as it was the name of one of the only intact tribes, and the tribe of kings. Another term to describe Jews would be "Judeans," or residents of the tribal territory of Judah (Judea in the NT)."

Edited by Seawolff
  • Love 2

Judah was a very common name in Israel, as it was the name of one of the only intact tribes, and the tribe of kings. Another term to describe Jews would be "Judeans," or residents of the tribal territory of Judah (Judea in the NT)."

Hmmm... would that be the People's Front of Judea, or the Judean People's Front?

• Love 1

From Season 3 Episode 7, "When the Dead Come Knocking":

Carl: Daryl's been calling her Ass-Kicker.
Rick: Ass-Kicker? Has he, now?
Carl: I've been thinking, what we should really call her?
Rick: What do you think?
Carl: Remember my third grade teacher, Mrs. Mueller?
Rick: Of course.
Carl: Her first name was Judith. Do you think that's a good name?
Rick: I think that's, that's a fine name. Judith it is.

T-Dog's name was Theodore Douglas.

The main characters of the 2015 TWD spinoff are named Sean and Cody Cabrera; Nancy, Nick & Ashley Tompkins; and Andrea Chapman. (Yep, another Andrea.) Cody is the new Carl.

Edited to add that Michonne's boyfriend was Mike (a lot like "Michonne"), and her son was Andre (a lot like "Andrea").

Edited by editorgrrl

Hmmm... would that be the People's Front of Judea, or the Judean People's Front?

Splitter!

Beth - I hear you calling....

</KISS>

Or it could be like blechhh! with a lisp.

If she'd been a boy she'd have been named Ralphh!

• Love 1