Type keyword(s) to search

Live Show 2: Oh Yes It's 80's Night, Oh What A Night

(edited)

Jack Walton: Breathy. Then whiny. Then breathy again. Jack is working his way towards tolerable. Oh, wait. He abandoned the guitar. This is so much worse. He's just a slightly less shite version of Sam Callahan, isn't he? Does that mean he's going to last as long as Sam Callahan???

Stephanie Nala: She was a breathy but overall fine. On key. You know.

Andrea Faustini: Fine. Good. I just don't like Andrea. He's not Whitney. He doesn't take me to church. He barely gets me to the 7/11 around the corner. I just don't feel anything when he sings.

Lauren Platt: Very pretty vocal. But it was way too slow and had no energy. If you're going to slow down a song to give it meaning you have to imbue it with energy so it vibrates with power. I still say she's too young and doesn't have that power and weight to her voice. It felt like the performance that comes at the end of a teen movie where the shy girl finally takes the stage and wins the talent show/pageant/scholarship. But straight tones don't impress me. Also, her voice cracked.

Ben Haenow: I thought he sounded pretty good. But he should try harder. He doesn't bring a lot of emotion to songs and he kind of relaxes on the vocals too much when he's not singing the big notes.
Fleur East: I love Fleur. She's ready to go. She seems like the professional act who comes to perform on the results show. Flawless. She raps and dances but isn't breathless when it's time to sing. She doesn't perform a terrible slowed down ballad. Fleur's not going to win. God damn it.
Lola Saunders: It took me a while to figure out what was off with Lola's performance. She holds notes but she doesn't hold all the notes and she still trails off like she's marking. Also, she doesn't enunciate. It's like another version of Andrea where I don't know if she cares what she's actually singing. Compared to everyone else though I think she sounds good.

Chloe Jasmine: So Gatsby. The movie. I don't think started singing until the chorus. She was just talking and making noises. And even once she reached the chorus it wasn't great. It's like a little Madonna and a lot of Katie Waissel and quite a bit of a drag act. This is like that final number in the movie where the singer has been ravaged by booze and pills and she's unrecognizable but she's still put on her makeup and gone out to give one last performance. And then she dies at the end. I am not convinced she was singing during most of the song. 

Stevi Ritchie: Oh that spoken opening? So cruise ship. What are you doing, Simon? That said, perfect song choice for the way Stevi sings. However, he didn't sound nearly as good as Rick Astley and I think the melody was getting away from him at times. Also, the staging makes zero sense to me. This could have been more fun than it was.

Jay James: Jay is getting more tolerable. I get doing a very stripped back arrangement to not overwhelm his very weak voice. But this was still boring as hell and took away all the good parts of this song. I don't want to hear this as a slow song without the da-doo-doo's.

Jake Quickenden: I love this song. He needs to find a way of singing where he doesn't cover his mouth. It's distracting. He's not a very strong singer. But he's also not the worst in the bunch. Pleasantly mediocre.

Stereo Kicks: Yay! The one I like made it into the top four. There are still too many of them. I feel like it's distracting me from paying attention to the vocals or stage presence. I wish there were more harmonies and I do think their stage presence is weak. However, they sound pretty good. I didn't come here to listen to choral music though. I think I'm going to concentrate my efforts on figuring out which 2 or 3 guys should be kicked out.

Only the Young: The only cover of this song I need is from Save Ferris. I think the first girl needs to focus on how she's positioning her head and where she's trying to pull the sound from. It's making the notes sound strained when they shouldn't. I'm getting more of a read on the blonde one. They should pick songs that play to her strengths. I think that would be more interesting that trying to get her to blend. Yay, harmony. I think they have an issue where if the girls take the lead, the guys fade and if the guys take the lead, the girls fade. You only have to sing for two minutes. You can't mark until it's time for your solo. Also, they're totally a band for a kids show and not a real group.

Paul Akister: Fine. They posted this video way too late for me to care. But his stage presence was a lot better.

Edited by aradia22
(edited)

1. Fleur East

2. Lola Saunders

3. Lauren Platt

4. Ben Haenow

5. Andrea Faustini

6. Paul Akister

7. Stereo Kicks

8. Only the Young

9. Stephanie Nala

10. Jake Quickenden

11. Jay James

12. Stevi Ritchie

13. Chloe Jasmine

14. Jack Walton

Edited by aradia22

I feel like

Chloe

was going for the Amy Winehouse version of Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow. First of all, how do you get the lyrics wrong to a Carole King song? Secondly,

she

sounded better than

she

did during

her

live performance but it was still not good. Not good at all. You can't just bellow the notes.

Also, Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow? If You Don't Know Me By Now? X Factor, you're making it too easy to make jokes.

I vote that we kick the one with the wonky teeth, the blond one, and the one who for some reason reminds me of a cross between Aston Merrygold and Chris Messina, out of Stereo Kicks. I'm undecided on the others besides liking the one who looks too old to be in the group (the one who looks like Jaymi from Union J) and the one who they let sing all the time. 

I watched The Xtra Factor and it was quite revealing. Simon said

that Octoboyz aka Stereo Kicks and Louis are not connecting. Louis stated later that he disagreed with Simon on an eight piece boy band. Apparently Louis is thinking about trimming SK down by one or two singers. Good luck with that one, Louis!

Results:

Stephanie's

out

Stereo Kicks

beat

Chloe Jasmine

in the sing off

Kromm, you should be pleased.

Actually not really.  I've been consistent that I think that person is a fake and a shameless famewhore, but I'm okay with that person's actual singing. As for that first act that was safe?  I'm well over that act.  It should have been bye-bye time.

Unless you mean happy about the person who went outright?  Yeah, although that person was STILL only #2 on my (s)hit list.  The one I REALLY wanted to go badly (and I've said outright in the past that the person who lost the sing-off is far superior in comparison) is the one who lost a vowel at the end of their name.  That person is dreadful.  Horrid.  The worst.  And wasn't even in the bottom (why???)

Go away Stevi. Go away NOW you w$#ker.

Edited by Kromm