Type keyword(s) to search

Marvel Studios: Assembling a Universe (ABC)

An inside look at Marvel Studios and the Marvel cinematic universe, featuring interviews and behind-the-scenes footage.

James Gunn has been posting on Facebook that this will have some more footage for Guardians of the Galaxy which is probably the only reason I will watch any of it. 

• Love 1

I'll watch, but I'm annoyed by the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. scheduling. One episode in December, two in January, one in February, then two in March and now this special in its slot. No new AoS episode until April. It's like they want it to fail.

Edited by Cranberry
  • Love 1

I couldn't agree more, my only thought is they're also trying to space episodes out so they tie in with movie release dates? Either way it's super annoying. I also kind of figure that at some point they decided producing the show was just as cost effective as running spots on the network all the time? So AoS is basically a commercial all the time? I don't know, the thinking on the scheduling is bonkers. I know that the Olympics screwed up everyone this year but this show has been worse than most.

My husband just screamed "HULK ARMOR!" meanwhile I've just been singing (to the tune of "Lets All go to the Lobby" Bruce and Tony do Science, Bruce and Tony do Science, Bruce and Tony do Science! Lets have a show about that!

Ultimately I'm kind of shocked they revealed the identity of the Winter Solider but I guess everyone already knew... 

C'mon, Marvel. You basically bought an hour of network TV time for an infomercial for The Winter Soldier? Anybody who saw Captain America or The Avengers was already going to come see it.

The harder they pimp this movie, the more I worry that it will suck.

Stop, already. You got my money! I've been reading comics for 50 years! I'll be there!

• Love 2

Ultimately I'm kind of shocked they revealed the identity of the Winter Solider but I guess everyone already knew... 

Ah, so that's why they name-dropped him on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. a while back...

I haven't seen most of the MCU movies. I saw the first Iron Man, Iron Man 2, and The Avengers. Should I catch up on all of the others? Would it make me enjoy AoS more or less? Sometimes I feel like its only fan, haha.

I've heard that the new Cap movie is supposed to tie in to the show more heavily but they said that about Thor and then it was just some dumb artifact left behind and you totally didn't need to see the movie at all to appreciate it so you know, your mileage and all. That being said I really LIKED Iron Man 3 so I'd recommend it, I also really liked the first Captain America movie and this new one pushes all the right buttons for me (political thriller, pretty arms etc.) so I'd also say go for it. Same with the Thor movies. They're both fun and Loki is awesome in them. 

• Love 2

Yeah, I also liked Iron Man 3 (mainly for its Shane Black-ness) and didn't dislike the first Thor/Captain America (haven't seen the new Thor). That said, I also gave up on AoS after being mega-bored by the first two eps, so.... :)

• Love 2

I actually liked the new Thor better than the first one, so if you liked the first one you should give it a shot if you feel like it. It's more "fun" than the first one.

The Shane Blackness was the best thing that could have happened to Iron Man in my opinion.

DO NOT watch the Ang Lee Hulk movie ;) But yeah, the Norton Hulk movie is in continuity, and it's really not bad! He had issues with the studio and I'm sort of glad because while I really like Edward Norton I think that Mark Ruffalo's Hulk is perfect, though again that's writing as well so possibly Norton could have pulled it off but regardless I do like the Norton Hulk, but I LOVE the Ruffalo Hulk.

• Love 3

Haha, I've heard that the Ang Lee Hulk movie is... not the best, to put it mildly, so I'll skip that one. I'm not the biggest Hulk fan in general, but hopefully I'll enjoy the in-continuity one anyway.

Now when is Black Widow getting her movie? That's one I want to see. (I know, I know, "female-fronted superhero movies don't make money," or so the conventional wisdom goes. I think that someone just needs to write a good one.)

Has there ever really been one? Other than Elektra, which was spun-off of a not great adaptation in the first place?

I wanted the Black Widow movie too, especially if it included Hawkeye. They were going to do it, and then they weren't, and I can't imagine why. Just kidding, it's because of sexism. But I am at least glad to see her again in CA:WS.

• Love 1

At least Marvel is making a Jessica Jones series for Netflix (along with Luke Cage, Daredevil and Iron Fist)... there was also that terrible Supergirl movie, don't forge that stinker which I mean it's DC so not really on topic but it was too awful not to mention.

I think they were much more likely to give ScarJo a Black Widow movie before she got knocked up and totally screwed with the filming of the new Avengers movie. I could be wrong though.  

Oh! I somehow totally missed that there even was a Norton Hulk movie – I thought it was the same as the Ang Lee one. Oops.

There was a terrible Catwoman movie in the 90s too.

• Love 1

What's actually crazy is that the more I thought about it I remembered that the Norton Hulk movie "The Incredible Hulk" from 2008 was planned as a "loose sequel" to the 2003 Ang Lee Abomination "Hulk" in that it was going to take the origin story from Ang Lee's and most of the characters. Also it's not even that Ang Lee's is awful, it's WAY too long, Hulk doesn't show up as Hulk for like an hour or something crazy and the movie is more about family dynamics and it's just so odd. People also had a big problem with the CG but I think for 2003 it's not bad at all. People said "It's too cartoony" which, ok but he's a giant green HULK so I don't know what they wanted? Lou Ferrignoin a suit again? 

I had blocked Catwoman from memory. It's so terrible. 

• Love 1

At least Marvel is making a Jessica Jones series for Netflix.

I am very excited about this. Alias is one of my favorite comic series of all time. I don't even get tired of explaining that it's not the Alias people think it is.

• Love 1

I'm really looking forward to the Jessica Jones series as well... really ALL the new Netflix shows have potential to be amazing. I'm hoping they're all included in the MCU and also that they start paying attention to how well Arrow moves plot along and make all their writers go with the CW model for pacing because AoS could really use a rewrite from the Arrow/Vampire Diaries writers. I do know they're different companies, but I feel like Marvel has a good handle on MOVIES while DC has really stepped up the game in TV and I'd like them both to be more even. 

Oh right, I finished all eight MCU films (and I enjoyed all of them -- I especially liked the Thor ones more than I expected to), and the five one-shots, and then I watched this special. Now I'm ready for The Winter Soldier, and then apparently I will have a bunch of Netflix series to watch in the future (Wikipedia tells me that Drew Pearce has confirmed that they are all included in the MCU), plus Guardians of the Galaxy and Age of Ultron. I may never get back out of the MCU!

• Love 3

It's a slippery slope, Cranberry! The Thors were better than I thought they would be. I am still waiting for the dud Marvel Universe movie to come out. Iron Man II wasn't great, but still good. But at heart, I'm a DC Comics guy, and really wish they had let Joss make the Wonder Woman movie. The super-hero movie landscape would be very different today.

• Love 2

I won tickets from AICN to see it early here in Austin, but I gave them to my teen son when I couldn't find a sitter for my daughter. Made him tell me spoilers so according to what he said, she

is seen as an old woman, complete with some problems that afflict the elderly :(

People also had a big problem with the CG but I think for 2003 it's not bad at all

It wasn't the CGI per se, it was the motion capture that did it for me. Ang Lee did mocap for the Hulk, but didn't seem to get it: the Hulk is a bipedal rage mountain, not a ninja. The Hulk's movements were too fluid, he seemed too light on his toes and too dextrous and nimble. The Hulk doesn't dodge artillery and other gunfire - he just gets angry as it ricochets off of him. For a non-verbal creature, the Hulk's body language is everything, and they flubbed that big time.