Type keyword(s) to search

Movie Wardrobes and Costumes

• Start Topic

I think it depends what you're talking about when you say best and worst. For instance, an article of clothing can just be aesthetically pleasing or interesting out of context. But a costume is intended to serve a specific function within the story and communicate something about a character. So a gown might be gorgeous but if you put it on a character who is supposed to be a struggling artist having difficulty paying her rent it hampers the film's believeability. 

There are a few different categories of Best Costumes for me. There are the ones that are gorgeously sumptuous, usually the historical films, such as Elizabeth or Young Victoria, or the theatrical ones like Catherine Martin's creations for Baz Luhrman.

Then, there are the films where the costumes become influential to everyday fashions, like Annie Hall or Flashdance (my sister and I were gleefully cutting up our sweatshirts the night after we saw that movie, as well as learning how to take off our bras without taking off our shirts).

• Love 1