Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E23: Crossover

This was the first of several episodes to explore the Mirror Universe (first introduced in the classic TOS episode "Mirror, Mirror"), and it's one of the best in the entire run of the show, in my opinion.  Not only do we get to learn the consequences of Kirk's attempt to get Mirror Spock to overthrow the dominant Human regime of his day (the ensuing revolution so weakened humanity that the Klingons and Bajorans were able to conquer them without so much as breathing hard, which

Mirror T'Pol had warned the Mirror humans would happen a century before Mirror Spock and Mirror Kirk's time as Karmic payback for their arrogance and cruelty

), but we also got to see a bitchy, quasi-bisexual dominatrix version of Kira that Nana Visitor must have had a ball playing.  Fun times, I tell you!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1
(edited)

Ah,  yes.

The Mirror-Universe saga!

It's funny; people seem to either love or hate these episdoes. (I fall into the former camp.)

I can get why people might not care for them, though.

Am I misremembering, or do I recall reading an inverview that MirrorKira was much closer to Nana Vistor than regularKira?  (I know there was the whole big Siddig El Fadil/Nana Vistor scandal arouind that time, right?)

Edited by ShadowDenizen
  • Love 1

Probably the best of the DS9 mirror episodes. Loved the beginning where Bashir is trying to hard to ingratiate himself to Kira, who's having none of it.

Then the confusion of a second Kira and poor Bashir having to work the mines. Odo being an ass and O'Brien - so downtrodden and defeated.

I also liked the contrast of the Bajorans being the aggressive and violent sugjegating race, Quark being a good guy and trying to help the Terrans and Sisko not caring.

The characters in the mirror universe were like polar opposite to the proper DS9 universe, but with a hint of their opposite selves. By this, I mean that Sisko is a good guy in normal DS9, but a hint of the Mirror!Sisko is in him. Quark is a bit of a selfish baddie in normal DS9, but there is a hint of the helpful Quark from the mirror universe in him. Same with the reverse. Intendent Kira has a bit of real-time Kira in her, as do the others. Nicely done.

And yes, I've read that Intendent Kira is more like Nana Visitor - can you blame Siddig El Fadil then? *grin* What scandal though? They secretly dated, she became pregnant and they eventually got married but it was a scandal? Just curious.

• Love 1

I don't think there's was anything quasi about Mirror Kira's bisexuality. She was just a straight up freak in the sheets.

I agree this is the best of the DS9 mirror episodes, but going into why would pull in too much disucssion of future episodes. Maybe we need a dedicated mirror universe thread.

• Love 1