Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E12: Draft Day

• Start Topic

With draft day around the corner, Spencer celebrates the big day by making some lavish purchases; Olivia unveils her book to her family but worries that no one will show up to her first book signing; Jordan stresses over who his best man will be.

Jordan and Layla getting married tomorrow but no life conversations like where to live or kids?  This seemed so rushed on-top of fact he was married to someone else like a season ago. 

No booing the commission during this draft? 

Obviously that was going bad for Spencer when he started buying stuff. But the guy who hurt players and harassed Liv getting picked over him was kind of low. 

Surprised at Asher being the best man. But nice to go with that history of childhood. 

• Like 1

Jordan and Layla are lucky that they ended up being on the same page about things they should have talked about at least a year ago, if not before he proposed.  It's fine that they are getting married and all, but I don't know why they have to throw in things from middle school to prove Jordan was always into her.  Why can't they just have fallen for each other at the time that was shown on the show?  I liked when Olivia said she got tears from Laura because it was only her first book, but Jordan's second marriage.  Burn.

I know that it was supposed to be so terrible that Eric sent the camera crew to interview Spencer at the book signing because it was "Liv's moment," and maybe he should have run it past Spencer, but I didn't think it was so bad.  It could have really helped Olivia and given her positive publicity, as they'd at least be aware the book existed.  My favorite part of the episode was when she muttered that she should have included the affair in this book and Spencer said he was glad it wasn't a pop-up book!

I was trying to think of what drove all the teams away from Spencer, and I went really dark thinking it's something medical from the combine or something.  I've started to fear that they will say he has cancer like his dad did.  If this is the case, you'd think he'd be privy to this information or would have seemed sick at some point, but maybe they want to make it be really shocking.  I really hope this is not what happens, as I would like to see Spencer go to the NFL even if the writers might find this too predictable.  Shocking is not necessarily the right way to go, but I will see what happens by the end of the season before I rant too much about it.

I also noticed the commissioner not getting booed in this alternate universe.  I enjoyed most of the teams being cities that don't have franchises anymore.  Portland did have a USFL team briefly in the '80s, but where would they play now, at a college stadium?  They converted their main stadium to soccer-only eons ago.  (It's funny that they can't talk about real NFL teams at all, when even One Tree Hill had real NBA teams for a storyline.)  I do like that San Francisco won the championship in this universe, but then why would they be drafting a quarterback in the 1st round?  Is their QB a free agent and more expensive than Wade?

When Coop was trying to get Spencer to buy her a house, she didn't say anything about living there with Patience, so maybe she won't be completely devastated if Patience gets written off and dumps her.  Or maybe she just can't remember Patience if she doesn't appear in the episode, which is a lot.  I liked when she asked if Spencer calling her his manager on TV was legally binding.  I think though when she had just recovered from being shot, she started trying to "manage" Patience, and that went really badly.

Funniest line of the series was Spencer explaining he was just really, really happy to be cuddling with Olivia when she asked if he were hiding a Clydesdale.  How many takes were needed to complete that scene?  

The show finally came clean about Spencer banking serious do-re-mi in a NIL deal.  If he gets picked in the 2nd round, which he almost certainly would be, he'd get between $6 and $10 million over 4 years and probably a couple million of that immediately in a signing bonus.  WR is no worse than the 3rd most coveted position for NFL teams to get right.  Game is not over.  

Jordan's first marriage was absurd.  Why should this one not be a train wreck in the making?  He was not ready then and he is not ready now.  Has Layla sold a single download by any of her artists in the past two months? 

If I were a St. Louis, San Diego, or Oakland football fan, I'd be unhappy with the reminder, by the naming of those fictitious franchises, that the NFL abandoned me.  Coach Edison would not have been such a complete jerk to Asher - especially after his heroics in the title game.  It's fine that he does not want him on staff.  Classic football decision.   

My guess is that it was the tool replacement coach who poisoned the well for Spencer.  Erik is no villain.  He's practically a saint as far as agents go.  He may have caught wind of trouble and not shared such, but I don't see  how it would have helped him.  On top of that, he lost a bigger payday.  It was in his interests to have Spence drafted as highly as possible. I, too, would not accept that some team found something in a medical test which would keep him out of the league.  Does the show need Daniel that badly to go on?  Really? 

• Like 1

I can't remember Coach Mack's background, but if he has NFL ties, he could want to get back at Spencer for keeping him from getting the GAU job (though it was Jordan that really did him in and he could always claim credit for the championship anyway and get some other job, but he's a jerk so he could be after Spencer anyway).  The other thing that may be possible is that someone leaked info about Spencer's combine speech about changing the system and the teams decided he was a troublemaker.  That Miles (?) guy, the one who got drafted by St. Louis, was acting kind of weird and he's not someone Spencer knew before who would have any loyalty.  Either would be better than a medical problem, but maybe they would think that too repetitive anyway since they already had him get shot and then have the recurring shoulder problem afterwards because he was mad at Coop.

• Like 1