Type keyword(s) to search

S03E03: Barbarians at the Gate

• Start Topic

Best ep of the season so far. We received so much information about so many characters and storylines! I am impressed with the physicality Renner is bringing so far - I wonder if they filmed out of order and the fighting scenes were done later. 

It's interesting the way both Kareem and Evelyn have gotten into higher positions and are trying to do things "the right way" - Mike is there to explain how that isn't going to work in their corrupt city. Evelyn's comments about that prisoner's concussion circle back on Kareem - he'll probably need Mike's help with that. I noticed Evelyn had a security detail this time.

We are all intrigued about what was on Iris' rap sheet, right? I liked her scene with Ian, and then Ian's scene with Charlie. I had forgotten that Charlie is still a loose end - but really for Ian only. Rebecca calling Ian "Detective Ferguson" cracked me up.

It was surprising that Mike didn't know the (former) leader of the AB gang was dead.

Rafael managing to escape being jumped by 10+ prisoners was nothing short of a miracle.

Was it the Russians or the AB that blew up the police car lot?

11 hours ago, mledawn said:

We are all intrigued about what was on Iris' rap sheet, right?

I think it has to be something that connects her to Mike, and not in a good way.  Maybe Chris's death?

I like how Mike has embraced his role as Mayor. Last season he was running around trying to keep everyone happy. Now he's got his ways of fixing things and he knows the people he helps won't like it in the short term but will appreciate it in the long run. He's not afraid to piss Bunny off or Evelyn or Kareem or even his own family. He's not smooth like his (deceased) brother was but he's figured out a way to make it work.

11 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

I think it has to be something that connects her to Mike, and not in a good way.

Since Ian is taking point on this and Charlie is back in the picture, I can't help but wonder if he's going to dispatch Charlie again to take care of whatever this situation is. It worked once but I don't think he'll be as lucky the second time around. You shoulda shot him, Detective Ferguson.

11 hours ago, mledawn said:

Was it the Russians or the AB that blew up the police car lot?

I'm not sure if it's either. The Russians seem to be keeping somewhat of a low profile other than whacking Milo's old crew and trying to clip Mike, which as I understand it is a Russian gangster's polite way of saying hello. Car bombs aimed at cops seems too flashy, something that would provide little value while bringing the wrong kinds of attention. I don't think it's the ABs either. The show hasn't given me any reason thus far to credit them with the abundance of smarts that would be required to build functional bombs (as opposed to just blowing themselves up which we have seen they are pretty good at). Well, that one new leader who transferred from Millhaven seems pretty smart/crafty but he's not putting bombs together from prison. I am only speculating here but I'll spoiler code it anyhow:

Spoiler

I think Milo is the one behind the bombs. After all, he's the one who got blown up last season.

• Useful 1

I don't know if anything we've seen so far would support that. Iris worked at the Russian brothel. I know brothels accommodate all kinds but I don't see the Russians being that open-minded. Same with the bikers in season one. Iris being trans also wouldn't merit the reaction Ian gave her. I read his reaction more like "I'm going to have to get Charlie involved in this and hope he kills the right people" rather than "I'm going to have to deal with the burden of paperwork" because what kind of action is available to a police officer to cover up for a trans person who does not want to be known as such?

Iris actually has to voter tally to the last Mayoral election, and it turns out it was corrupt!  The city would be thrown into chaos if that was publicized!