Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 6/10/2024

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Shrek said:

You can call an apple a spaceship and even send it into space but it's still an apple. 

If it walks like a duck…

On 6/15/2024 at 4:16 PM, Dimity said:

Agreed. To me the intent of The View was to bring a woman's perspective to all kinds of topics, which would, of course, have included the news of the day.  I'm pretty sure I remember Meredith sitting at the table with newspapers reading out some choice article or two and throwing it out for discussion.  But that didn't make it a news show as you say.  It was a show then, and still is, a show that gives women an opportunity to tackle the issues of the day without some man sitting at the table having to be deferred to and being the one doing most of the talking!  This was a refreshing change back when this show first aired!

Yes Meredith would look at newspaper headlines and they would then discuss them. I miss that.  They now discuss hot topics in a preshow meeting so the conversation on air isn't spontaneous.

At some point the View was moved from the entertainment division to the news division.  I think Barbara  was still there.  I don't remember if a reason was publicly announced or not.

1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

Yes Meredith would look at newspaper headlines and they would then discuss them. I miss that. 

I knew I wasn't imagining it!  I miss those early days as well, and Meredith.  She was the best.  I do agree with others here that there was a shift towards focusing more on the news but that coincided more with their move to making things more political.  At the end of the day The View though is not a political show or a news show -  it's a talk show about current topics that, naturally means they talk about the news and about politics -- sometimes way too much.

• Like 1
(edited)
On 6/15/2024 at 1:17 PM, Ellis Bell Lives said:

Yes, but do you know any other talk shows who have to read legal notes after a particular topic/segment?  

No, but when news shows do it, they read the statements like professionals, not mean girls, and are not so quick to make slanderous comments in the first place. You'd think a former federal prosecutor would know not to do that.

Edited by Denize
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 6/16/2024 at 10:42 AM, Shrek said:

I don't know of any news shows that do it either. 

You can call an apple a spaceship and even send it into space but it's still an apple. 

Just saw this reply.

You can't send an apple into space unless it's onboard a spaceship.  So I will view The View as (the apple) which needs ABC News Division (the spaceship) in order to reach its goal.  A collaborative effort, if you will.