Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: 100%

• Start Topic

With one of the biggest games of his career around the corner, Spencer seeks guidance by revisiting his past; Layla continues to work through her mental health recovery; Olivia receives unexpected feedback from her publisher.

100th episode, directed by Daniel Ezra.

One thing they got very, very right:  The Rose Bowl field is immaculate.

One thing they got very, very, wrong:  An NDA is unenforceable if it involves testifying in a criminal case.  

Asher would not have been allowed back in the game after the TD.  He was knocked out, which triggers a neurologic evaluation.  His being motionless signaled a very bad head trauma.  

Going for the TD at the end wasn't quite as bold as the show made it out to be.  In those conditions, a 35+ yd FG is no gimme.  Still, it was darn risky.  Nice play call.  Better play by Spencer.

Olivia with not one, but TWO, bigtime calls regarding her dilemmas.  She is on a heater!   I liked the fake out with the ring box being presented after that little speech by Spence.  Clever.

Greta was an absolute vision in her mom's wedding dress.  Wow.  Glad Layla's new, old, manic self is not getting away with staying hidden.    

I wonder how she who cannot be named took it when her ex-husband won the title and cemented a massive NFL contract.  Nice to see Wade have an excellent game, also.  He gonna get paid, too.

This was a satisfying end to Spencer's series-long quest to break out and be recognized.  

• Love 1

This episode was so fun and happy for the most part!  I was afraid something bad would happen at the very end (not sure what), so I was surprised when they just left it nice.  I liked that Olivia wasn't even worried that Spencer could be proposing because they are more practical than that.  So glad Teresa will hopefully leave, as she was not amusing (and I think she was plotting to hit on Jordan, though it's hard to tell because she's all over the place).  When they had that Progressive commercial with that woman who takes over the campsite and babbles about "manifesting abundance," that was something I could picture Teresa doing.

I knew they wouldn't really cram a Jordan/Layla wedding into the last ten minutes of an episode regardless of it being the hundredth.  I like how they have handled her struggles in that she can have setbacks without it all turning into a huge disaster or something.  I liked Coop's reaction when Layla asked if Jordan talked about wedding planning, pointing out that she and Jordan do not interact.

I liked that they incorporated Shawn and Chris into the episode, though I don't think they said anything about what Chris was doing now.  I thought he had gotten a football scholarship somewhere, but some schools would still be on winter break at the time of the championship (my niece was anyway).  I liked the use of flashbacks, but not too many.

It's nice that Asher's recurring dream wasn't meant as a foreshadowing of a heart attack and that he got his moment of glory, but the whole thing was pretty ridiculous.  A national champion team has to put a coach who hasn't played in years on the field because of two injuries?  They didn't have much depth, apparently.  Wade replacing the quarterback midseason made more sense because it's not that they had no one, they just needed someone good.  I know they tried to explain how Asher could play, but I don't know how he could be on the roster when he was diagnosed with the heart condition in high school and they withdrew the scholarship offer (which sort of ended up with J.J.).  Maybe they meant Coach Montes had put him on the roster at some point just to be nice, though that's not what they said.  And yes, it was ridiculous that Asher was totally motionless after the TD, then jumps up suddenly and is fine.  If he had just been sort of rolling around like he was in pain and slowly gotten up, he still would have needed to go to the tent for evaluation, but it would have made more sense.  But I guess they wanted everyone to think he was dead for a minute.  I guess I can believe Jaymee being so understanding (even with having a kid) because she had talked about taking risks and living for the moment before due to her illness.  I think they are going the route of having Montes be very sick based on Asher's speech (about how he couldn't be in the locker room with them).  That surprised me because before they just didn't show him but there was no indication that the character had health problems.

Coach Mack looks very stupid to be so adamant about kicking a field goal in a driving rain storm, so it's a good thing he wasn't in charge for this game.  I don't know if they ever said anything about GAU's kicking game as a plot point, but not easy at all in the rain. (I think I remember one of the high school seasons where Billy recruited a girl.)  With Jordan and Spencer's play in this game, they were definitely a more reliable option than whoever the kicker was.  Also, Coastal's nickname is the Manta-Rays?  That was funny.

Laura looked like she was possibly considering whatever plan Coop has, which means she really must not think much of the people at the D.A.'s office.  Maybe Preach should talk to Coop like he did Patience to warn her away from things that could get her arrested.

Finally "she" probably doesn't think about Jordan anymore because she has several baseball players throwing themselves at her, though some might not even be on the show anymore.  She does have a snarky friend who might make some comment about her past and Jordan moving on, but that character might not be on too much either.

• Love 1

I’m totally with you, Spence - analytics SUCK.

Asher is ridiculous in all ways.  Just because he scored doesn’t make it cool.

Creepy for Asher and Spencer to discuss Layla and Jordan considering, well, you know.

Funny how in a driving rainstorm those white unis were pristine.

I liked seeing Asher back on the field with Jordan and Spencer, only missing was JJ.  It was a nice moment at the end with all on field together. 

Did they say where coach Montes was? Although we know what happened in reality. 

• Like 2
(edited)

They just said that Montes was coaching from up in the box, communicating with coaches with a headset.  I think they had his voice say, "Good call, Asher" after he called the play that went well.

Edited by KWalkerInc
  • Like 2