Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Passin' Me By

• Start Topic

It's New Year's Eve and Spencer and Olivia are determined to ring in the new year together despite several interruptions; Jordan gets advice on how to navigate a sensitive topic with Layla; Patience is pushed to her limit.

It's nice that they continued the tradition of having holiday episodes that air nowhere near the actual holiday.  I had to look up some of these, but we've had a Halloween episode toward the end of a season in May, Thanksgiving in the summer (when Carrie cooked something that wisely no one wanted to touch), the October season premiere Christmas episode where Spencer and Olivia broke up and a Valentine's episode in November.  It probably doesn't matter to most people because they're watching whenever on Netflix so it doesn't seem weird.

It was cheesy that Ashley was now suddenly in love with Olivia, but at least she shut him down immediately (hope he'll go back to London and not turn into another stalker!) and she and Spencer were actually happy for a change.  But what Grace said about couples being happy if they're together on New Year's, I think they said that on Days of Our Lives when I was watching in the mid '90s, and then they'd break up the couples by Easter anyway.

How shocking that GAU and Coastal will play for the championship.  No one saw that coming.  Why didn't anyone give any credit to the defense for holding things down the whole game while Jordan struggled because of his personal life issues and Spencer sat out for being stupid the previous game?  I guess it's because they never even cast any defensive players when they were seeking people out to fill out the roster last season.  I really don't buy Coach Kenny stepping aside for a playoff game because his nephew has unspecified problems.  They could have made it slightly more plausible by saying he was with a dying parent or something, but he's probably going to come back and clash with Mac now that Spencer contacted him, so I guess they had to make it a situation he could come back from now.

I was a little confused about Asher and choosing Jaymee & AJ over "the game."  I assume that means he can still coach but just isn't going to run routes, though judging by his look at the end, he's still going to do it and have a heart attack anyway.

I thought that Patience contacted Preach because she was looking for someone in his old life to send a message to Miko, not that she was going to be dumb enough to try it herself!  And Patience is just now open to testifying?  Without the doorbell cam footage allowed, what the hell was going to be their approach?  I guess they could have pointed out that a restraining order had been granted against Miko, but that's about it.  And Miko is going around posting things about Patience, apparently with the encouragement of her lawyers?  This is all beyond stupid.  I did appreciate Preach noting that Patience doesn't have any scars, which also makes no sense but was obvious because she always wears midriff-baring tops.  Preach and Coop want her to "trust the process," but this probably won't end well.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, KWalkerInc said:

I really don't buy Coach Kenny stepping aside for a playoff game because his nephew has unspecified problems.  They could have made it slightly more plausible by saying he was with a dying parent or something, but he's probably going to come back and clash with Mac now that Spencer contacted him, so I guess they had to make it a situation he could come back from now.

When Mac was first appointed didn't Spencer or someone else suspect that the university wanted him to take over Kenny's job? So I assumed that the story about the nephew was just an excuse that they made up and the real reason for Kenny's absence was that they had fired him.

• Useful 2

I don’t normally laugh out loud during this show, but “calm down Belichick” did it for me.

SO STUPID that Ashely was suddenly in love with Olivia.  Of course they couldn’t just be friends without romantic feelings on one side UGH.

• Like 2

"This world was never meant for one as beautiful as..."  How did they not use the Don McLean song when Spence and Olivia walked into that room with "Starry Night" projected all over?

The rapprochement between AJ and Jaymee may have been the most abrupt and nonsensical 180 in the entirety of this series - and that is saying something!  Jaymee is clearly right.  The myopathy is a very real phenomenon recently in young athletes in peak condition.  There is a great argument to be made that a spouse should support their spouse who is pursuing a dream.  But, there is no case to be made for the deceptions by AJ.  What the heck changed offscreen in an hour or two that made her accept his deceit and then trust that he is over playing?  

Dillon bugged. He was being ridiculous.  If anything, he demonstrated why he shouldn't be allowed to even accept the offer.  His being headstrong absolutely fits the family profile, though.  Boston, FWIW, is a particularly difficult place for an immature and inexperienced teen to navigate. 

I have no patience for Patience.

Olivia went against her instigating ways again.  Every one of her insights and decisions was grounded in reality and focused on right things.  Very odd.

Coach Kenny was the victim of a coup.  Happily, he would be given credit officially for the title if GAU wins.  A new coach only gets credit for such if the coach replaced was formally separated by the school.  That has not happened.  He is on hiatus.

I, too, wondered how the defense was not given flowers for shutting the other team down.  If they are that good now, Coastal is toast-al.  It was laughable that Jordan was a Heisman finalist.  It was also nuts that they had a regular season game to play after the award was presented. 

Coconut pancakes be darned, all major football programs are ensconced in a hotel the night before a game and players are never free to move about on their own outside the bubble created all the way through the end of the game.  Sorry, Grace.

That was a very weird NYE party at the beach house.  It was packed with college kids/teammates (not weird), but every time space was needed for our heroes to talk things out, entire rooms suddenly cleared and no music was heard.  No keg?  No drinking games?  Then, everyone was cleared out at least an hour before midnight.  Worst celebration evah.

The end of the song is appropriate to much of the series.  "They would not listen, they're not listening still.  Perhaps they never will."  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

It was laughable that Jordan was a Heisman finalist.  It was also nuts that they had a regular season game to play after the award was presented. 

I think their last regular season game was the one that they lost and Spencer got kicked out for targeting.  The game in this episode was the semi-final game, which I think they do play on New Year's Eve day.  I guess it's still a four-team playoff format on the show, so I still don't know what year it is for them.  Maybe if Asher dies, they will show his gravestone and I will get my answer, as that's the only way I ever figure it out.

It's a little weird that Dillon had to be written out when he's only recurring the last few years anyway, so maybe he'll have a lot of problems in Boston and come back again as a storyline in one of the remaining episodes.  It sucked that Grace had to miss the game so that she could buy crap for Dillon.  Maybe she'll actually be allowed at the championship whenever they actually get to that.  (The 100th in two weeks would make sense, but it doesn't seem like it from the description, though they're sometimes deceptive.)

I noticed the episode thread for last week has like 3000 views, which doesn't make a lot of sense compared to all the others.  Maybe it's a glitch with the counter.