Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E12: Allegiance

• Start Topic

When a crew of violent eco-terrorists abducts the teenage son of an energy company executive, SWAT must untangle the kidnappers' twisted motives before carrying out a high-stakes rescue mission. Meanwhile, Hondo's involvement in a shooting draws outrage from the very community he's dedicated his career to protecting. And, as Deacon is called on to help with the escalating crisis, he's forced to confront nagging doubts about his retirement, on S.W.A.T., Friday, May 10 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network, and streaming on Paramount+

(edited)

letter-c.png.294d0181abe0cac0cc89fa1a766e1772.png

I guess the plan for next season is to literally blow everything up and start anew. At this stage, apart from Hondo, likely Hicks and Nichelle, who knows who will come back?

Alfaro dug his own grave, but it also looks like Powell and Tan might join him for stabbing him in the back. The "who stays and who goes?" drama might be interesting if it didn't also come with some trepidation with how this will play out with the casting for next season.

I know this episode was likely shot without knowledge of the renewal, and I know that, no matter what happens with the cast, we're sure to have a new cast member to "liven" the series. Likely, when the writer wrote the "blow up 20-Squad" story", it was with the knowledge that the series would be over.

However, knowing that Season 8 will be a soft reboot means that the showrunners don't have to hit a soft "reset" for next season either, and that's a dangerous game.

People come and go, yes, but S.W.A.T. has lost two regular cast members already, could lose a third and, potentially, lose a fourth and a fifth. How much turnover is OK?

They might as well start a new show if they're going to go with an almost completely brand new cast.

So I'll just close this thought by saying that the showrunners have to tread carefully and be like Hondo- find the right mix of regulars and newcomers to keep this show afloat in S8 and beyond.

The rest of the episode itself was uneven. The Hondo drama was a gut punch, though it really lacked depth. The damsel in distress storyline was also similarly shallow, doing little more than being a race against time and featuring baddies who had capabilities a bit beyond being believable.

Then Deacon showed up again, and, unlike the press release, really only hinted about coming back.

Honestly, this feels like there could have been three episodes written out of it, but they were all needlessly jammed into one. As a result, none of the storylines really worked.

Still, it was a watchable hour, and the fact this episode was personal for the characters gave it some meaning.

They just need to figure out, "where do we go from here?"

Edited by Danielg342

Cole Raysitch is Trevor Logan in FBI and Noah Gorman in Chicago PD. No wonder the actor looks so familiar.

Hondo’s blue vs black conflict has some parallels with what happened in the pilot episode. The circumstances of both shootings aren’t the same but they have invoked the same reactions from the community. I have more sympathy for Buck because it was an accident and he got fired. With Hondo, it’s just - been there, done that. Hopefully season 8 will not begin from Mexico, again. 

The way Tan reacted to Alfaro is understandable. It’s triggering for him. He could be losing Hondo as a team leader the same way 20 Squad lost Buck before.

I support Alfaro’s decision to return to 50-Squad. It’s hard to work with people who are untrustworthy especially those who are inauthentic and have big mouth like Powell.

Seeing conflicted Deacon is actually quite satisfying. Some people told you not to rush in making important decision but you won’t listen. All you want to do is pleasing your annoying wife. Now go and find your rhythm, man. 🙄

I know this is SWAT and not CSI but why are they opening the package addressed to Caroline without glove and contaminating the evidence? 🤦🏻‍♀️

It’s an odd choice not to feature JP the billionaire in person. We hear his name here and there, that’s about it.

• Like 1