Type keyword(s) to search

Geek Girl - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Based on Holly Smale’s 2013 novel of the same name, Geek Girl is a Netflix Original comedy-drama that centers on a neurodivergent and socially awkward teenaged girl named Harriet Manners (Carey) whose life suddenly changes when she is thrust into the world of modeling. Plucked from obscurity, Hannah must now figure out how to deal with anxious agents, eccentric designers, a charming male model, and her own self-doubts as she works to balance high school and high fashion.

CAST: Emily Carey, Sarah Parish, Emmanuel Imani, Liam Woodrum, Zac Looker, Tim Downie, Jemima Rooper, Daisy Jelley, Rochelle Harrington, Sandra Yi Sencindiver, Mia Jenkins, Alana Boden, Madeleine Price, Alexandra Chaves, Hersha Verity.

First announced in January 2023, Netflix and Corus Entertainment are teaming up on the new family show based on the best-selling books. The streamer has commissioned ten episodes, each around 30 minutes, and later confirmed that it’s set to be a one-off limited series.

While Netflix is the key distributor worldwide, there is a notable exception. In Canada, the distribution will be handled by Corus Entertainment, which owns networks like Global, Slice, HGTV, W Network, and Showcase.

May 30, 2024 (all 10 episodes)

Chapter 1

Harriet's textile class have won a trip to London Fashion Week, but she and her best friend Nat face an outfit disaster before they even get there.

spacer.png

Chapter 2

With just days to set up the most crucial casting of the season, Wilbur searches for Harriet — who's more concerned about a video that’s gone viral.

spacer.png

Chapter 3

Harriet makes a bold fashion choice for her meeting with Wilbur and gets posing tips from a pro — but her career may be over before it's even begun.

spacer.png

Chapter 4

The stakes are high for Wilbur as he hunts for Yuji's new model. Will Harriet and Nat have what it takes to walk for one of fashion's biggest names?

spacer.png

Chapter 5

Harriet and her dad arrive in Canada. The show's just hours away, but there's still time to hang out with Nick — and his jealous "girlfriend".

spacer.png

Chapter 6

Everyone wants to speak to Harriet at the party, which amps her anxiety up to 11. Meanwhile, Nick confronts Poppy, and Yuji makes a decision.

spacer.png

Chapter 7

Harriet struggles with how to break the news to Nat. But when she gets back to school she learns that Nat — and everyone else — knows the whole story.

spacer.png

Chapter 8

After an unsuccessful detour, the Manners family head to the perfume shoot. Poppy makes an announcement on social media, and Harriet posts her own video.

spacer.png

Chapter 9

While Harriet tries to put her social slip-up behind her, chaos reigns at Infinity. Nick arrives at school as the students prepare for the talent show.

spacer.png

Chapter 10

Harriet resolves to stay true to herself, no matter what. When Wilbur visits the Manners', they all hatch a plan to get Harriet back on the catwalk.

spacer.png

A run-of-the-mill YA romcom with a neurodivergent protagonist. The fashion is plain and ordinary while the playlist is dated and unmemorable.

A suspension of disbelief is required to truly believe that a person with “alien superstar vibes” who repeatedly trips over her own feet is now taking over the fashion world by storm. In fact, none of them is believable as catwalk models. Editorial? Maybe.

Does a modelling world without drugs, or alcohol etc truly exist? And since when the high fashion world has become so forgiving towards a disastrous newbie? Falling on the runaway can be part of a learning curve but leaking a highly confidential campaign is a major no-no. You can kiss your new career goodbye before it even started.

During the “big reveal” in the final episode, all I can think of is… OMG, she hasn’t washed her hair for 3 days!!! 🤢🥴

Wilbur reminds me of the sassy duo from Emily in Paris - Julien and Luc.

Jude Paignton is a terribly written character, cringey AF.

Overall, this show lacks a feel-good factor that am looking for in a romcom.

• Like 1

I watched a couple of the episodes and after the first episode did they really need to change their entire outfit after that smoothie spill? It's "for the plot" I suppose but they even changed their shoes and socks to match the soccer outift so I thought it was kinda funny 🤣

Also they are way too forgiving of her mistakes.. They all say "There's just something about her" but for how long is that even going to work? Stuff like this would never fly in the real world especially if the designer is such a perfectionist..

I guess its just a light hearted show which v can't take too seriously, they are just kids after all. It's also nice to see Emily Carey in other shows. She was great in House of the Dragon.

I binged it--I thought it was cute! Yeah, some of what happened would never be brushed off in the real world but tv is escapist--none of it happens in the "real world"--thats kinda the point. We all need a Wilbur in our lives!

I hadn't seen the lead actress before--she's adorable! 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I thought this was such cute show!I get that the it isn't a realistic portrayal of the modeling world, but after watching Baby Reindeer, I could use the escapism.

I love the relationship with her parents; especially her stepmom--it's rare to see a close stepmother/stepdaughter bond.

Hands down, Wilbur is my favorite; he see full potential in Harriet, but is very protective of her, and know his boundaries.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I get that the leaking the perfume shoot wasn't great but didn't Poppy just post a pic from that same shoot like minutes before?

Overall it's enjoyable fluff. Never truly funny but just.. enjoyable enough.
Apart from the high school bullies who feel written like I'm watching a show for preschoolers.

• Like 2
(edited)

I'm on episode 4 and it's... ok.  My quibbles:

Harriet is too perfectly made up from the beginning.  Her makeup is not only perfect, but doesn't fit the character.  What 16 year old girl these days wears frosted lipstick for everyday school?  Strangely, in Episode 4, where she and Nat skip school to go to the modeling class, both she and Nat have hardly any makeup on at all, and that suits both characters much better.  Harriet is also too short to be scouted as a runway model.  Same with Nat.

I was really hoping the modeling class would have at least one "diverse" body, not just all stick thin clothes hangers. 

Nick is pretty, but also horribly dull.  Hate the overgelled hair.  And I'm not sure of the ages of the characters, but it seems like Harriet is around 16 and Nick 20, and that's verging on creepy.

I do like Wilbur. 

It took me a minute to place the stepmom...  she was in Lost in Austen.  I really liked that show. 

And, best thing about this show... they enlarge the text messages shown on screen.  Yeah!  Let's hope that becomes a thing!

Edited by chaifan