Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Maxine Saves the Whale

• Start Topic

Palm_Royale_Photo_010801.jpg

A beached whale appears on the Beach Ball site, throwing the event into doubt with days to spare. Linda and Evelyn adjust to their new normals.

Premiere Date: April 24, 2024     Apple TV+

bdf4cac473a1c0c44924ca9970e02ce6.jpg

Palm_Royale_Photo_010804.jpg

I don't understand why Carol Burnett is trying to kill Maxine, TBH.  There is too much back story missing.  And why did Carol reject Rosenhips?  They didn't show us. 

Are we supposed to think that Doug cares for Maxine?  He doesn't really seem to like her.

• Like 2

I'm just going along for this crazy ride. Sometimes it just doesn't need to make sense and I feel like this show is one of them. There's definitely a larger throughline happening--we just don't know what it is. 

Mindy Cohn dropped us another clue when she was going through Normas's files--some news clippings Norma saves that don't make sense but will at some point--why else would they make it a point for her to comment specifically on those items.

They really are doing a great job of creating that old Palm Beach/South Florida vibe with all the lush gardens and dark and opulent rooms.

I don't care if it's not making sense, I am loving this show!!

• Like 2
21 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I don't understand why Carol Burnett is trying to kill Maxine

I questioned this too in a prior episode where Norma was angling to shoot someone with a revolver, and was puzzled why Norma, at least at this point, would still want to kill Maxime. Others pointed out that Maxime had been blatantly stealing Norma's stuff for months. That's of course true, but still didn't seem sufficient motivation for premeditated murder. I was more pursuaded by Maxime's seemingly genuine care and concern for Norma (with Maxime's self-serving motivation about Norma's estate still acknowledged).

However, it's  now very much clear that Norma is indeed intent on offing Maxime. In fact, that seems Norma's main goal in life at this point. What remains less clear is the full extent of why Norma is singlely focused on getting rid of Maxime. Yes, she never wanted the marriage to her nefrew, yes, she views Maxime as an undeserving unterloping hick who tricked her nefrew into marriage, and of course yes, Maxime has been stealing from Norma and distastefully "delacorting" about for months.

There still seems to be more at work here. And in peak soap opera fashion, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone revealed to be an errant love child. The fact that Norma and Axel were deeply in love, and then Norma simply dissappeared for months, may be laying the foundation for a love child reveal, but who knows. But how any of this could relate back to Maxime is still hard to see.

I thought the whale was going to save overboard Maxime. And while I appreciate many of the true and remarkable whale facts presented in this episode, I'm not sure a beached whale - especially one looking to be many yards from the shoreline - can simply "decide" to turn around and "walk" back into the water.

• Like 2
On 4/25/2024 at 9:15 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

I too thought the whale was going to save Maxine. 

Do we know that this isn't going to happen?

I read in the Vulture recap that it's now revealed that Douglas, not Perry, has been having the affair with Mitzi. What? When did that get revealed?!?

I liked this episode more than any to date, and the reason can be entirely laid at the feet (or fins) of Evelyn and The Whale. Only Allison Janney could have sold it. But she did.

• Like 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Do we know that this isn't going to happen?

I read in the Vulture recap that it's now revealed that Douglas, not Perry, has been having the affair with Mitzi. What? When did that get revealed?!?

I liked this episode more than any to date, and the reason can be entirely laid at the feet (or fins) of Evelyn and The Whale. Only Allison Janney could have sold it. But she did.

It might happen (with the whale).  Obviously it's a cliffhanger.

They did reveal about Douglas but it was fleeting.   I think he has a discussion with Robert.  I can't  keep it all straight, it's such garbage. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • LOL 1