Type keyword(s) to search

Becoming Karl Lagerfeld - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Disney plus

Drama

June 7

Follows the rise of Karl Lagerfeld in the 1970s Parisian fashion world and his rivalry with Yves Saint Laurent's partner Pierre Berge, as well as his love story with Jacques de Bascher.

E01 - The Mercenary of Prêt-à-Porter

Karl Lagerfeld meets Jacques de Bascher and takes the reins of French fashion house Chloé.

spacer.png

E02 - Do You Have a Style?

While Karl works for the iconic Marlene Dietrich, Jacques gets dangerously close to Yves.

spacer.png

E03 - In Bed With Karl

Karl declares war on Chloé and presses Jacques to choose between him and Yves.

spacer.png

E04 - Bad Reputation

While Karl confronts Yves and Pierre, Jacques flees Paris.

spacer.png

E05 - The Wedding of the Century

Karl wants to scream his success from the rooftops. But for that, he needs Jacques by his side.

spacer.png

E06 - Monaco?

A new fashion wave is here. Karl must choose between Jacques and his all-consuming ambition.

spacer.png

(edited)

One of Karl’s memorable quip:

“Fashion has nothing to do with women, or there wouldn’t be so many gays in the business.”

Becoming Karl Lagerfeld is an improvement from the tedious The New Look when it comes to fashion, upbeat playlist and cinematography. Its storyline doesn’t dig deeper into the life of the fashion icon, only on the surface. It doesn’t capture the essence of who Karl was. We see him as a workaholic RTW freelancer who prefers anonymity but simultaneously craving fame and recognition. When it comes to love, he’s a big romantic but emotionally inaccessible.

“I hide myself every day, if people saw me as I am, they’d pass me by.”

Karl lies about his age and contours his body using shapewear to appear flattering in public eyes - a carefully curated self image.

Am aware this is an origin story focusing on a brief period of time and not a biopic, but it would be nice to see the friendship between Karl and Yves before they become frenemy. 

Lack of climax in its storytelling throughout all six episodes. We see some achievements, arguments, disagreements, setbacks and relationship dramas. The obvious internalized conflicts for Karl are not being taken seriously by his peers and not being good enough for haute couture. The pinnacle of Karl’s career and decades of hardwork comes at the end of episode 6 - an offer from House of Chanel but it ends so abruptly.

Daniel Brühl embodies the swagger of Karl the control freak who dresses impeccably, before his penchant for monochromatic look. Brühl does a compelling job in showing Karl’s vulnerability as a legend in his own mind.

Théodore Pellerin is enigmatic as Jacques de Bascher. But am not invested in this dandy socialite. I see him as a useless manchild and a parasite. Karl is obviously drawn to Jacques’ free spirit. Jacques is fascinated by Karl but sees and uses him as a provider - socially and materialistically. Jacques is a passionate person, why else he wants to be in a tumultuous, sexless, platonic relationship with Karl? Too much time spent on Jacques is one of my nitpick for this series.

OVERALL - Becoming Karl Lagerfeld has done its job in telling an origin story of the fashion icon. But it comes nowhere near the exquisiteness of Disney+’s Cristóbal Balenciaga.

Edited by Snazzy Daisy
16 hours ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

OVERALL - Becoming Karl Lagerfeld has done its job in telling an origin story of the fashion icon. But it comes nowhere near the exquisiteness of Disney+’s Cristóbal Balenciaga.

I haven't yet watched BKL, but I will in the near future. I didn't realize there was a Balenciaga series, too! So much great TV, not enough time. 😕

Thanks for the review.

• Wink 1

Disappointed several episodes in. Too much emphasis on sex, boyfriend drama and snippy arguments. Not enough on the story of how Lagerfeld built his brand. The dubbed dialogue is odd. I don't like the emphasis on YSL's mental illness, which was very real, not just drunken hysterics.

• Like 1