Type keyword(s) to search

All Of Us Strangers (2023)

• Start Topic

(edited)

Director Andrew Haigh's first theatrical film in six years is a adaptation is the second film adaptation of the 1987 novel "Strangers". 

Starring Andrew Scott, Paul Mescal, Claire Foy and Jamie Bell, ALL OF US STRANGERS is a meditative study of loneliness and connectedness. Of love that reaches through the invisible divides.

Screenwriter Adam (Scott) is a screenwriter living in a sparsely occupied high-rise. The seemingly only other sign of life being a man who lives multiple floors beneath him - Harry (Mescal) - who, after a shaky start, he embarks on a relationship with. 

While Adam spends his evenings with Harry; his days are spent with his parents (Foy and Bell), as they navigate all the things that have remained unspoken over the years.

First time I saw it someone was sobbing loudly throughout. It didn't affect me that way...until I saw it the second time. It was then that the emotion of the piece connected with me.   Scott got all the glory and Mescal all the attention (and they work splendidly together), but to me, the strength of the film lies in Foy and Bell and their scenes with Scott.

Edited by AngieBee1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

I absolutely HATE that this was overlooked by the Academy. 

I couldn't agree more. The four performances were outstanding, and I think all of them should have been nominated. Especially Andrew Scott.

The film was so inventive, I would have expected the screenplay to be nominated, if nothing else.

I watched this in two parts. I wasn't sure I'd make it all the way through, and I took a break about 30 minutes in. I did manage to finish it the next night. I was spoiled about some of it, and so perhaps that's why I was able to finish it. 

Even knowing the story, I was moved to the point of tears multiple times. And the sense of dread was palpable. What an honest, if gut-wrenching, depiction of grief and loneliness.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I’m sorry but I hate that Harry was dead all along. That just wasn’t fair.

I had a strong suspicion that he was a figment of Adam's imagination but did NOT expect that ending. And for Adam to then realize that Harry was as lonely and searching for connection as he was. GAH! This movie...😭

• Sad 1