Type keyword(s) to search

Belgravia: The Next Chapter - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I think I missed how the Duke had such a swift change of heart about his son.  One episode he is screaming that his line will end with Peter and he wants him gone, the next he's saying Peter never did anything wrong and embracing him.

That scene on the heath where Peter had a seizure felt over the top.  No onlookers would be screaming that it was a "disgrace" to bring him out when the child was literally writhing in pain.   

The last two episodes were the strongest.  One way I could tell this show was written by a woman is that the conversations and sisterhood between Clara and her (former) lady's maid felt real, and there were some lovely scenes between Clara and Emily.  By contrast, in Downton Abbey, written by Fellowes, I never felt any real connection between Mary and Edith.

10 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

I think I missed how the Duke had such a swift change of heart about his son.  One episode he is screaming that his line will end with Peter and he wants him gone, the next he's saying Peter never did anything wrong and embracing him.

That scene on the heath where Peter had a seizure felt over the top.  No onlookers would be screaming that it was a "disgrace" to bring him out when the child was literally writhing in pain.   

The last two episodes were the strongest.  One way I could tell this show was written by a woman is that the conversations and sisterhood between Clara and her (former) lady's maid felt real, and there were some lovely scenes between Clara and Emily.  By contrast, in Downton Abbey, written by Fellowes, I never felt any real connection between Mary and Edith.

I think the actual reason for the Duke's change of heart was "season finale, must resolve things nicely".  But in the context of the show, I think it was the conversation/argument that the Duchess had with him where she accused him of sending him off to Switzerland in the hopes that he would be isolated and lonely and would just die.  She accused him of hoping that Peter would die so their second son could inherit the title.  She asked him why they couldn't use the local doctor that was recommended.  She was right.  And he knew she was right.  

I don't understand why these two characters were on the show in the first place.  They added almost nothing to the show because we were not given much background about them at all.  Only that they are friends of Frederick.  The Duke seemed old enough to be his father while the Duchess was his contemporary in age.  He seemed to view the Duke as his father figure without any real explanation as to how or why they were so close.  Maybe the Duke was friends with Oliver and Frederick grew up thinking of him as a surrogate father.  I wasn't invested in their storyline at all and didn't really care one way or the other about the son.

Regarding the difference in writing between Clara/Emily and Mary/Edith, yes, one pair was written by a woman while the other was written by Fellowes.  But I don't think that means that Fellowes can't write for women.  The relationship between Clara/Emily was much stronger than that of Mary/Edith.  Clara/Emily grew up average and middle class, just the two of them and their parents in humble surroundings.  At the start we see that they are close.

Mary and Edith grew up as daughters of and Earl and were raised in luxury with people to attend to their every need.  Their roles were to be used as tools by their parents to make good marriage matches.  Their lives were completely different than that of Clara and Emily.  Plus, Edith was the middle child so was written as the sad sack character.  I greatly disliked Edith, to this day every time I see this actress I can't help but be reminded of Edith and her constant "oh woe is me" face and voice.

I don't think it's fair to say that Fellowes can't write female relationships well.  The relationship between the Dowager Countess and Isobel Crawley was well done.  They started out as bitter rivals and hated each other, constantly trying to outsnip each other.  But by the end of the series (including the movies, after years had passed), they had grown to accept and love each other.  They relied on each other and became the best of friends.  When Isobel was getting married, Violet lamented that she felt like she was losing her friend.  Violet got sick and Isobel took care of her.  The two of them worked together to save Lord Merton from his manipulative son.  These two had one of the best written relationships on the show, it really progressed over the years.

• Like 2