Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: The Jersey Devil

Watched this last night and don't really got much to say. Not a big fan of this case but as per usual the M/S interaction never bores.

I've never thought about it before but having the teaser set in 1947 must have played, intentionally I'm sure, as a big red herring to the more UFO savvy viewers. Get them thinking, "Well, that car is so gonna encounter an alien aircraft", or even well into the episode thinking that an alien dragged the husband into the woods. Being only 9 y/o myself at the time I had no idea about the "Roswell event."

I enjoy seeing them hang out at more places than the morgue, crime scenes or Mulder's office (Scully doesn't even have a desk!) in these early episodes. The bar in Deep Throat, now the breakfast coffee place and Scully at the restaurant.

Speaking of, what is the biggest x-file here? Mulder's beast woman or Scully's shoulder pad lace blouse?

Edited by joelene
  • Love 1

I'm not into the actually Jersey Devil story because, honestly, it's a mess.  But I really like the episode for Mulder's epic dorkiness and Scully's last gasp at trying to have a life.  I still don't understand why they went the direction they did with this story though, because the Jersey Devil is not an east coast Sasquatch.  It's more like a really freaky bird, mammalian, horned (horny... Syzygy anyone?) beast.  Also, I guess because I lived in South Jersey for a few years... the Pine Barrens, where the Jersey Devil lives, look nothing like the woods in this ep.  And you can't just stroll into Atlantic City like that from the woods.  But sure, fine, whatever.  

Scully's choice of clothing is definitely the bigger X-File here.  lol.  

• Love 1

Agreed on all points about Jersey Devil!

I really, really love seeing Scully decide she'd rather spend time out hunting monsters with Mulder than going on a second ho-hum date, though.  Especially knowing what a struggle that issue becomes for the two of them later.

I've never thought about it before but having the teaser set in 1947 must have played, intentionally I'm sure, as a big red herring to the more UFO savvy viewers. Get them thinking, "Well, that car is so gonna encounter an alien aircraft", or even well into the episode thinking that an alien dragged the husband into the woods.

Oooh, I've never thought of that!  Interesting point!

I'm not into the actually Jersey Devil story because, honestly, it's a mess.  But I really like the episode for Mulder's epic dorkiness and Scully's last gasp at trying to have a life.  I still don't understand why they went the direction they did with this story though, because the Jersey Devil is not an east coast Sasquatch.  It's more like a really freaky bird, mammalian, horned (horny... Syzygy anyone?) beast.  Also, I guess because I lived in South Jersey for a few years... the Pine Barrens, where the Jersey Devil lives, look nothing like the woods in this ep.  And you can't just stroll into Atlantic City like that from the woods.  But sure, fine, whatever.  

Scully's choice of clothing is definitely the bigger X-File here.  lol.  

They definitely should've been trying to solve the mystery of the horny beast in this one.  But you forgot the cloven hooves. ;) We have NJ history as part of the 4th grade curriculum (or did when I was in 4th grade ages ago) and I did a report on the Jersey Devil instead of anything actually historical or based in reality.  Was I destined to be an X-Phile?  Haha. 

And the better X-File definitely Scully's date outfit.  The vest at the birthday party wasn't awful, but that blouse was a crime against fashion.  

Edited by janestclair

Oh!  I forgot to mention one of my favorite parts from The Jersey Devil!  The part where we find out that Scully told her friend that Mulder is cute.  Oh yes, yes indeed she did.  It's fact, it's canon.  I don't care how vehemently she argues that he's undateable, or a jerk, or too into his work.  Scully thinks Mulder is cute.  

Edited by queequeg
  • Love 2