Type keyword(s) to search

Sylvie: "That's not who I am anymore. I'm Sylvie now."

arc
  • Start Topic

(some noodling on the lore of the show and Sylvie's character, which I felt fits better here than on any particular episode thread)

From the s02e04 thread, responding to me saying the show wants Sylvie to be a fully separate character from Loki

This has been a tension we've had to roll with since S1.  How much are they the same person vs not the same is always in the air.  Quotes like "you can do this, because we're the same..." vs. "Because I'm not you..."

Regarding their families they have a conversation about their respective (adoptive) mothers on the train.  In Sylvie's timeline, a goddess of mischief was born of Frost Giants and was adopted by the Asgardians instead of the more usual god of mischief.  She's the same person in terms of the role in the timeline ("temporal aura") but also not necessarily related in a genetic sense.  She likely has a sibling equivalent of Thor since they seem to have the same mom (Sylvie got nostalgic listening to Loki talk about Frigga).  But still not the exact same person, since different timelines...  

and

If Sylvie is a whole different character than Loki (which I agree it seems that way), I wish they would define what a variant actually means in this world but, at this point, it is a useless term

The show in s1 was pretty loose with the rules on how timeline branching worked and how far it could go before becoming unrecoverable to the Sacred Timeline, but on the one hand, it seemed like the TVA pruned variants right around the decisive moment where timelines would branch. (On the other hand, Sylvie said her parents told her she was adopted, and our Loki found out much, much later. Maybe that started the timeline divergence?)

Anyways, I don't think Loki and Sylvie were intended to have started out as two different babies. I think they were both the same baby found by Odin and Sylvie is a trans femme variant on Loki. I guess there isn't a whole lot of canon to support or rule out either view, though.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, arc said:

Anyways, I don't think Loki and Sylvie were intended to have started out as two different babies. I think they were both the same baby found by Odin and Sylvie is a trans femme variant on Loki.

Gator Loki [much like Spider-Pig] indicates that DNA is not the critical common factor across variants. There might be a non-humanoid Kang [that would solve the recasting issue]

• Like 1

The variants can be any species so a female version is not out of the picture. The ice giant child was just born a girl instead of a boy. 

I think it would be interesting to see Thor meet his "sister". 

• Like 1

I don't see any noticeable sign that Sylvie and Loki are variants other than being told they are.  It can easily be argued that Loki's birth parents created a totally different person in Sylvie's timeline.

I am sure we are all thinking about this way more than the showrunners did. I mean, Loki is one of the better MCU series, but there is still a lot of "taking their word for it" going on.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, paigow said:

Gator Loki [much like Spider-Pig] indicates that DNA is not the critical common factor across variants.

I feel like Loki could be a special case because of magic and all those Loki variants could have started out as the same baby.

• Like 1