Type keyword(s) to search

Lawmen - General Discussion

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

lawmen-bass-reeves-poster.jpg

"Lawmen" will be a Drama anthology TV Series, with each season dedicated to a different famous law enforcement figure. The first season of Lawmen will focus on Bass Reeves and the first two episodes of this 8 episode series will stream on November 5, 2023 on Paramount+. 

lawmen-bass-reeves.jpg

The real life Bass Reeves was working as a farmer in 1875, before he was recruited as the first Black U.S. Marshal west of the Mississippi. Lawmen: Bass Reeves is mostly set in 1883 and the series will take a look at the life and work of Bass Reeves, who was born into slavery in Arkansas in July 1838. Bass Reeves was a slave who escaped slavery after fighting in the Civil War. Bass Reeves fled into the Native American Territories of the Cherokee, Creeks and Seminoles, where he became fluent in several Native American languages and learned tracking skills. The Thirteenth Amendment in 1865 legally ended slavery in America. Bass Reeves returned to Arkansas and was recruited by Judge Isaac Parker to be a deputy marshal in 1875, particularly for his Native American language skills.  

Over his career, the famous lawman apprehended over 3000 felons, without ever being wounded, including arresting his own son for murdering of his wife. Bass Reeves was still a U.S. Marshal into his 60s, retiring in 1907.

g5YvjqykQe2ZZK1C6qBXrM9EG1i.jpg

david-oyelowo-in-lawmen-bass-reeves.jpg

David Oyelowo as Bass Reeves, the first Black Marshal west of Mississippi 

bass_reeves_tintype_bass002_V2_F_f.jpg

lawman-bass-reeves-lauren-e-banks-social

Lauren E. Banks as Jennie Reeves, wife of Bass Reeves

bass_reeves_tintype_jennie010_V2_F_f.jpg

lawman-bass-reeves-demi-singleton.jpeg

Demi Singleton as Sally Reeves, daughter of Bass Reeves 

bass_reeves_tintype_sally007_V2_F_f.jpg

bass_reeves_tintype_billy003_V2_F_f.jpg

Forrest Goodluck as Billy Crow, a young Cherokee man with an affinity for dime store books and a gaudy style.

BASS_Enviro_Esau_0141_RT_RT.jpg

Barry Pepper as Esau Pierce, leader of the 1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles

bass_reeves_tintype_esau014_V2_F_f.jpg

thumbnail_image002-1.jpg

Donald Sutherland as Judge Isaac Parker, an imposing and commanding judge in the Fort Smith Courthouse with a complicated legacy.

bass_reeves_tintype_JudgeParker002_V3_F_

lawmen-bass-reeves-david-oyelowo-dennis-

Dennis Quaid as Deputy U.S. Marshall Sherrill Lynn

bass_reeves_tintype_sherill002_V2_F_f.jp

Grantham Coleman as Edwin Jones, an extremely persuasive man who has a clear vision and a promise for the future, to those who will listen.  

Garrett Hedlund as Garrett Montgomery, a posse leader 

Dale Dickey as Widow Dolliver, a no-nonsense old widow, she has seen it all

Ryan O’Nan as Darrell Dolliver, one of the two Dolliver outlaws Bass is tasked with tracking down and bringing to justice.

Joaquina Kalukango as Esme, a former enslaved woman who is as good as family with the Reeves’ and also has some different ideas about the future.

Lonnie Chavis as Arthur Mayberry, a sweet young boy with eyes for the Reeves’ daughter Sally.  

Rob Morgan as Ramsey, a once-strong man who has been broken by time.
Justin Hurtt-Dunkley as Ike, a Deputy U.S. Marshal.

BassReeves_101_EM_0207_01682_RT.jpg

Shea Whigham as Col. George Reeves, the upright and incredibly cruel master of Bass Reeves.

bass_reeves_tintype_george007_V2_F_f.jpg

Tosin Morohunfola as Jackson “Jackrabbit” Cole, a former Union soldier now  prisoner, who rides with Bass Reeves.

Margot Bingham as Sara Jumper, a black Seminole Native American ally.

• Thanks 1

Lawmen: Bass Reeves      November 5, 2023     Paramount+    

Episodes 1-2   Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S01.E01: Part I

4hHc9Yp6y9eDR2NVVAqCgh5XfSG.jpg

Bass rides into hell; Esau makes a violent impression on Bass; Bass escapes his chains, but has to make a hard sacrifice.

S01.E02: Part II

lPzGTUMF0ftSNqCkqGXdM0ASMDh.jpg

Bass and his family endure tough times on their farm; Bass gets a visit from the law and is faced with an interesting proposition.

1698830673_header.jpg

• Useful 1

I liked the first two episodes. I liked seeing how Bass escaped from slavery and then hid out with the Seminole woman in Indian Territory (Oklahoma). That Confederate soldier Esau escaped, so he may come back later for more villainy. Maybe Bass will capture him for killing that boy Curtis. Also, Bass's former owner might come back too since his wife mentioned him being alive.

• Useful 1
13 hours ago, meeeechiganman said:

Another Taylor Sheridan Drama

It is in his general Western "universe" but I find it enjoyable as a standalone drama, because I haven't watched any of his other Yellowstone series. I'm personally glad not to have to learn about characters and story arcs from 1883 or anything else. It works just as a Bass Reeves show.

• Useful 1

S01.E04: Part IV

PARPUS_LAWMENBASSREEVES_104_UHD_V1_24305

Bass and his new posse man have a fateful encounter at the Women's Boarding House; Jennie reunites with someone from her past.

Premiere Date: November 19, 2023     Paramount+    

Joaquina Kalukango as Esme 
Grantham Coleman as Edwin Jones 
Mo Brings Plenty as Minco Dodge 

1700037295_header.jpg

• Useful 1

The time jump meant that we had no explanation for how Billy Crow became Bass's assistant. I guess the judge showed him leniency for being in that robbery gang unwillingly, but he didn't have a reputation for showing mercy.

The other plot with Jennie and that couple at church made me think that the guy is trying to sell people on moving to Tulsa Oklahoma to the Greenwood district (aka Black Wall Street). Would this be the right historical time for that place to be founded? The massacre didn't happen until 1921.

• Useful 1

S01.E05: Part V

IMG_4183.jpeg

After pandemonium erupts at Bywater's store, Bass is forced to choose between his oath and family; Sally runs into trouble at the carnival, while Bass confronts an old nemesis.

Premiere Date: November 26, 2023     Paramount+    

• Useful 1

S01.E06: Part VI

lawmen-bass-reeves-clip.jpg
Chaos ensues as a firefight breaks out in Checotah; Bass and Jennie have a painful reunion; Bass has an unsettling realization as the myth of Mister Sundown lives on.

Premiere Date: December 3, 2023     Paramount+    

1701244706_header.jpg

So Esau is a Texas Ranger? I knew he would come back as a villain. He's apparently Mr. Sundown according to that one prisoner, so I guess Bass will have to go after him.

I still worry for Sally, with those whites threatening to come after her and maybe the rest of the family too. They might strike while Bass is away.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

S01.E07: Part VII

1701857628_header.jpg

Bass struggles with the weight of the badge like never before; after a deadly mission goes awry, the U.S. Deputy Marshal's fate is left in the hands of someone else.

Premiere Date: December 10, 2023     Paramount+    

PARPUS_LAWMENBASSREEVES_107_UHD_2457333_

• Thanks 1

S01.E08: Part VIII

1702460525_header.jpg

(Season Finale)

Bass struggles with the weight of the badge like never before. After a deadly mission goes awry, the U.S. Deputy Marshal's fate is left in the hands of someone else.

Premiere Date: December 17, 2023     Paramount+    

• Like 1

The finale was weird. Rachel Reeves showed up out of nowhere and implied there was some new law that would allow her to reclaim Jennie and the kids as her slaves, then Jennie just threw her out. And we never saw the KKK come attack the house with Jennie defending the home.

Meanwhile Bass hatched a plot to take down Esau in Texas. He had some ranch in Texas with a dinosaur fossil, but he keeps talking in creepy riddles to the point where I was wondering what if he meant the "beef" he was selling was the black men. But apparently he was keeping those men as slaves again. So Bass, Billy, and Sherrill have a shootout and free those slaves. And still Esau talks in riddles about "you and I have known each other for centuries" then Bass kills him. I know they were trying to build up Esau as a supervillain, but at a certain point his dialogue gets confusing and distracting. Why couldn't they have spoken more plainly? Like maybe Esau goes back to the wolf thing, or accuses Bass of really being here for revenge for Curtis, rather than justice for those slaves on the ranch? That could have been a clearer and more satisfying confrontation than Esau's weirdo philosophizing. Dial back the creepy nonsequitors and the show would have been better.

Edited by Cress
  • Useful 1

We were on episode IV when we saw the time jump and suddenly Billy Crow was Bass's posse man with no explanation of how that happened. Then everything got confusing after that. I don't think we will finish the show. Anyone want to convince me that it's worth it? LOL