S45: Kaleb Gebrewold

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

From Entertainment Weekly

image.png.00be1fb56bb4ec1ac13b7725874d1f31.png

Name: Kaleb Gebrewold
Hometown: Port Coquitlam, Canada 
Current Residence: Vancouver, Canada 

3 Words to Describe You: Charismatic, opportunistic, golden retriever.   

Why do you want to be part of Survivor? I remember laughing with my mom at the pathetic, crying Survivors on TV. She'd always say she couldn't wait to watch me out there, so it'll be meaningful to close that chapter. Also, $1 million USD goes even further in Canada.  

What's one life experience you feel has prepared you for the game? Lifeguarding at 17 to start a painting business. I ran this business throughout university to pay for school. I've been failing lots all my life, but I have the life and street skills to bring to Survivor.  

Which previous player do you identify with the most? Who do you think you will play most like? I'd love to say Tony, but out of respect I won't.  

What will you value in an alliance partner? Someone who can control their emotions and who has relationships and can gather information from other members of the tribe, so we can build the most complete picture possible. 

Favorite Hobbies: Basketball, travel, trying things for the first time, friend-related activities, trouble.  

Pet Peeves: People with no sense of humor. People who talk about wanting things but won't do anything about it.  

What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? I work for a marketing company that partners with businesses to educate their communities about choosing conservative healthcare (physical therapy, chiro, etc) over addictive medication and invasive surgery. It's a mission I'm passionate about. Over the past five-plus years I've generated [millions] in sales, which means I'm helping thousands of patients and hundreds of local businesses. 

What is something we would never know from looking at you? I've worked remotely since 2017 and have lived in 27 countries. Fiji is 28.

Who in your life is your biggest inspiration and why? My dad, who never graduated high school and was in jail five years (one and a half in Ethiopia, three and a half in Somalia), yet has a degree from Russia, along with his nursing degree. My parents have sacrificed a lot for their kids to have opportunities to do better and experience more, which pushes me every day.  

Why will you be the Sole Survivor? I've never been qualified for anything I've done, so why not me? Whether getting my first job at 13 [by] lying and saying I was 16, to slinging pizzas, starting a painting biz having never picked up a brush, or working in software sales, I've never had the "resume" but I always figure it out and bring my entire personality, and I expect the best in Survivor. 

I really did not like him when I first started reading this, but by the end I'm kind of sold (I guess it was the 'I've never been qualified for anything, so why not me' in answer to why he will win).  Since I feel like Survivor's only qualifications to winning are either being popular and/or having very generous twists that help you along if you are a production favorite, there isn't really much else you can do.

• Like 1

Exit interview with Kaleb:

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-45-kaleb-gebrewold-interview/

-He doesn't regret telling Katurah about Bruce's idol, but thinks that Jake talking to her about it as well made her feel more like a fool than just being left out (he didn't know Jake had made up a story about digging for rings when they were looking for the idol)

-As to why he thinks Bruce turned on him at the merge, he thinks Bruce was feeling insecure because his alliance members were starting to talk to Kaleb more

-He believes that J Maya was the original target at the earn the merge but when Bruce flipped and wanted him out Reba saw it as an opportunity to get rid of a threat

-I think Dee was bitter at him because he brought her name up at the TC where J Maya went home; he said he told her she wouldn't be a threat if J Maya left, but would remain one while she was there (which I think probably insulted Dee even more)

-Emily was not the only one to tell him to play his SITD (Jake told him, and Kellie and Katurah said that he was going to get votes).  Which makes me wonder why the heck no one bothered to throw a hinky vote to someone just in case the SITD worked

-Something we didn't see, but after losing the IC where Sabiyah went home, she actually had heat exhaustion and had to have medical come look at her.  Apparently she's begging to talk to production about throwing her idol in the fire to melt it; Kaleb said he had to talk to production about something else so he'd ask and actually asked them not to let her do it because he wanted to keep the power.  The whole way he describes it is kind of comical.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 2